IS the Emotiva UMC-1 worth while getting now?

Just looking on the website and notice the unit is now $499.

I do remember their were people mentioning some numerous issues with this unit, so am uncertain what the recent firmware fixes actually fixed.

I been considering replacing my Yamaha 663, and going for the preamp route.

I got question for people who already own this unit, how much flexibility does this unit offer? Does it have a EQ (or other bass/treble control) that allows you to adjust each speaker if needed.

I have UMC1 and it's killer value at that price. I've had no problems with mine, I believe the problems are related to HDMI which I don't use. It has EQ (either auto or manual) although I don't use it because I already have DSP in the system.

I'm also considering getting a dedicated HTPC in which case I'd be selling mine.

I'm still very happy with mine, not really had a problem with it in a year and a half now. Early on I had the odd audio drop out with Foxtel but that was rare and was sorted out in firmware ages ago, I think most people don't have many problems with them for the most part. I think the UMC-1 was very good value at it's original price point and now it's just even better. I use HDMI on it for the video out to the TV, the Bluray player, DVD player (I think it has better image quality than my BDP for DVD playback and I also use it for SACD/DVD-A) and a Xbox360.

Also worth a thought is the 40% upgrade card if looking at the new XMC-1 or any other future Emotiva pre/pro, depending on the cost of the XMC-1 (or future units if keeping the card for later on) the UMC-1 will cost you very little indeed and if the new units price is higher than $1k the umc-1 would have cost you nothing pretty much. Heck on that line of thinking buying the UMC-1 could save you money depending on the cost of the next Emotiva pre/pro purchase lol, even more so if you sell the UMC-1 later on.

• Like 1

Guest VladimirFreddie

I am one of those who did have issues with mine but Emotiva bent over backwards to resolve them.

It now works OK but find it its still a bit on the contrary side with switching inputs & locking on to HDMI. :thumb: Having said that I've seen similar quirky issues by reviewers who've had problems with several thousand dollar AV receivers so at $499 US I think its a bargain.

Getting back to your other question: It does have its own EMO-Q which will automatically adjust each speaker. This also allows you to manually change the results if required. It think its a 10 band eq for each speaker. I'm not saying its as extensive as other systems but it does the job and is flexible.

Sound quality is excellent.

Edited by VladimirFreddie

Almost every receiver and/or pre-processor have HDMI issues - regardless of the price. Integra DHC 80.2 is the only one I know that works without any problems. UMC-1 is a killer for that price.

'almost every' is a bit of a stretch. I've been using denon avrs and their processor for about the last 5 years and no hdmi issues. And I have used them with quite a few brands and type of ancillary equipment over that time that has gone through my system. I think fair to say some brands have more experience with hdmi than others. Some have perhaps put more thought and effort into implementation.

You are right - it does sound a bit "doomish" - well it is 2012 after all :party

What I wanted to say is that HDMI issues exist regardless of the money that one spends on a AV receiver/processor. It is not a guarantee that a 10K price bracket device will behave better than a $500 device.

You are right - it does sound a bit "doomish" - well it is 2012 after all :)

What I wanted to say is that HDMI issues exist regardless of the money that one spends on a AV receiver/processor. It is not a guarantee that a 10K price bracket device will behave better than a $500 device.

Thats true about the HDMI Issues regardless of price. When it comes to expensive hardware, I research as much as I can. For the Emotiva unit and at that price, the occasional hick up doesn't worry me. There are AVR processors preamps that can cost 5x the cost of the emotiva, and yet they too can have HDMI issues.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Crystara

Hi

I own 2 of them no drama's with them, I have had a little tech support from Emotiva, Bloody nice folk, at that price very good, go for it mate

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I recieved my tracking details today for my UMC-1 and A-100 Mini amp.

I'm quite excited, the most expensive AV toys I've had have been in the car or displays to date. I had a surround setup of Wharfedales that was underwhelming.

So, new UMC, amp, speakers are already in and semi broken in, Apple Airport for wireless, a week from now I'll be good to go (and no doubt looking to the next upgrade / segmnet).

I've been happy with my dealings with Emotiva, they seem to reply late in the day, but it comes through.

Well I have decided to get one. Looking at alternatives locally is just not worth the bother. And a price of less then $630 including shipping, it really is good value. As I am looking a HT processor to use with my RMB 1565. These Rotel Class D amps (well the 15 series is what I can speak for), are really amazing.

I thought about going for a Onkyo model, 709, but cost wise, because that model has the pre-outs, is just too expensive, so I go fro the UMC-1.

Me to, due on the 13th, yours is probably on the same FedEx plane, based on the tracking advice it's in Honolulu at the moment. Update, now at Mascot sort facility Sydney !!!

JDH

Edited by jdh500