Receiver Under $1000

Guest chesl24

Hi all,

I'm about to buy some wharfedale 9.5 speakers (5:1) and I'm looking for an amp to go with it.

I've been looking at a Marantz SR4001 but I'm open to other suggestions.

I believe Yamaha do some good ones and I was hoping some of you would give me your thoughts on this

and any recommendations for Yamaha or other brands of amps for under $1000.

Thanks

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No such thing as a good receiver <$1k. Only awful and slightly less awful receivers in there. If you want a less awful receiver, get a Cambridge Audio.

Why do you want 5.1 anyway?[/b]

Lol, way to go champ, thats what I call a friendly helpful reply :wacko:

To the OP, here are some suggestions to get you started:

Yamaha 661

Onkyo 605

Sony STRDG910

Cambridge Audio 640A v2

Lol, way to go champ, thats what I call a friendly helpful reply :wacko:[/b]

100% Jel

To the OP, here are some suggestions to get you started:

Yamaha 661

Onkyo 605

Sony STRDG910

Cambridge Audio 640A v2[/b]

I like the Cambridge and if you can get the superceded Rotel RSX1056 (Can be found for just over $1K-$1.4K?max).

Good luck with your decision.

Best

JA

Thanks for the replies all (except the first one! :wink: ).

Just needed something to think about.

Any thoughts on the marantz one I mentioned, the sr4001?

From experience, I can talk only of the Marantz SR4400 and SR4500.

SR4400 - running a set of MS Genies was lacking musically, though not too bad for movies - ok for the $ spent. Unfortunately, it developed a hissing and poping from the front left channel which involved 4 trips to the local repairer in Perth and a one-way trip to Melbourne before being pronounced dead.

SR4500 - a replacement for the older 4400, which wasn't in production any longer, is ok-ish and along with the genies has been retired to a living room, providing "fill". Sound quality isn't too bad and again, probably ok for the $.

Either way - both amps seem underpowered when running hard.. which is probably right given their power rating vs their weight...

In the time between amps (while the 4400 was in Melbourne) I did try the genies on a Dennon AV1 which is a much bigger amp. Sound quality from the genies was much improved, though perhaps not a fair comparison as the cost difference when new was about 3~4 times.

I hope the above is a bit of help? :wacko:

Here ya go mate. If you win this then you have a fine machine, although by 6 days from now it may crack the G.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Denon-AVC-A1-Home-T...1QQcmdZViewItem[/b]

Strangely enough - it was a black version of the amp mentioned by Jake that I did the comparison on (mentioned above). These Denon amps are fantastic and will drive large speakers really well. Prior to me trying them on the tiny MS genies, it was used on a set of Mirage OM6's and sounded strong and full.

The older Denon may not have the functionality of the newer Marantz, but it does do 5.1 (not DTS though) and sounds great..

Lol, way to go champ, thats what I call a friendly helpful reply :)[/b]

LOL you got that right! lotsa love in that post for sure!

well if u are interested, ive seen some onkyo tx-nr801's going for 800-1000. of course, no hdmi but i can do without it for now. theres component upconversion.

Not sure if you can spend much more but I'm sure there will be people upgrading from the Yammy 2700 soon.Great receiver for the dollar............2700[/b]

It's little brothers, the 1600 & 1700 should be in range though :)

I'd look at the Onkyo 605. retails at $1199 I think but can be had for a grand, maybe a little less.

This has full upconversion to HDMI as well as the new hi-res surround formats. First in Oz to do so. Onkyo's have always had plenty of grunt so it shouldn't have a problem driving anything.

Just set-up a mates new 575 which is the 605's baby brother and it is a ripper at a shade under 800 retail. Given the price of the 605 and it's better feature set, it the one to go for IMO.

I've placed my order and should get it any day now...

Cheers

M

DENON- well made, not too bad in "direct' stereo for music, Terriffic in 5.1 and the power figures quoted are not bullshit!.

Don't be put off by others who put down 5.1. If you like it, that's all that matters.[/b]

huh? i always thought denon is one of them brands dat are in the overestimated power figure quote bs. thats how ive always percieved them 2 be :unsure:

one other note, the avr brands can quote different measurement systems - ftc, jeita and so on. i know onkyo asia/japan uses jeita (for obvious reasons)

Hi all,

I'm about to buy some wharfedale 9.5 speakers (5:1) and I'm looking for an amp to go with it.

I've been looking at a Marantz SR4001 but I'm open to other suggestions.

I believe Yamaha do some good ones and I was hoping some of you would give me your thoughts on this

and any recommendations for Yamaha or other brands of amps for under $1000.

Thanks

Chesl25 I"V got the Marantz 5550 good reciever under1000 AlanM[/b]

huh? i always thought denon is one of them brands dat are in the overestimated power figure quote bs. thats how ive always percieved them 2 be :unsure:

one other note, the avr brands can quote different measurement systems - ftc, jeita and so on. i know onkyo asia/japan uses jeita (for obvious reasons)[/b]

They always quote figures for 2 channels driven only, but they then advertise it as 7 x 140 Watts (or whatever). That said, it doesn't actually make them a bad AVR, just imaginative :biggrin:

It's little brothers, the 1600 & 1700 should be in range though :unsure:[/b]

Spoke to the Yammy rep yesterday and he told me the 1800 will be out soon. HDMI upconverter, 1080p upscaling, Hi-res audio processing...looks the goods but going to be close to 2k.

I'll stick with the Onkyo I think...it's only HT!

Cheers

M

Spoke to the Yammy rep yesterday and he told me the 1800 will be out soon. HDMI upconverter, 1080p upscaling, Hi-res audio processing...looks the goods but going to be close to 2k.

I'll stick with the Onkyo I think...it's only HT!

Cheers

M[/b]

Apparently the Yammy 3800 is going to be RRP $2400 so the same price as the 2700,which was avaulable for about $1800.

So my reasoning would be that the real street price will be much much less.