Sign in to follow this  
Richard Cranium

XBox 360 Slim 4 GB $148-Add your old hard drive-mod.Media streamer.

For anyone interested, a new 4 GB 360 slim (Black) with wi fi & controller is currently available from Harvey Normans for only $148. Not only great for gaming, but a very good media streamer as well.

320 GB hard drives are available on ebay, delievered for $70 so still excellent value, or a ripper little free mod is you can remove the hard drive from your current machine, or if you have a spare older 360 hard drive as I did (or you can buy an old version hard drive on ebay for literally a few dollars) and with a little tweak, fit it to the new console.

You will need a torque head screw driver or pliers will work. Simply remove the plastic casing surrounding your existing (SATA) hard drive from its plastic casing which is just a facade, slide the hard drive into the slot on the new machine, and bazinga, it's done!

The appeture is wider than the size of the hard drive, so I added a little packing as an extra to support the hard drive, but all up, 5 minutes work.

Also, in the settings, the added hard drive displays alongside the internal 4 GB hard drive, and it even displays the Microsoft logo, so all legit, sweeeeet.

Hi NGM

Nice idea.

Does the xbox play mkv files with DTS code?

Hi NGM

Nice idea.

Does the xbox play mkv files with DTS code?

Sorry, no idea, my kids use it for games, and my wife to stream TV, so I haven't dug that deep.

They work as a windows media centre extender. If you run the media browser add on for media centre you can have DVD covers, actors images and lots more on your Xbox. When I get home in a few days I can add some images if anyone wants them

this wouldnt work for game saves etc would it?

The problem i always had with the old gen xbox's was the noise. The new black ones are a lot better

this wouldnt work for game saves etc would it?

The problem i always had with the old gen xbox's was the noise. The new black ones are a lot better

Yes it works for game saves, everything that a hard drive does. It wasn't the hard drives that were noisey BTW, it was the cooling fans and disc drives, which have been fixed in the new model, you can hardly hear them running now, chalk & cheese.

Also, if you install your games to the hard drive, it eliminates the disc drive noise all together, totally quiet that way.

I bought a slim xbox360 for Daza and swapped the HDD from his 'fat' one, it only takes a few minutes.

I bought an enclosure for the hard drive off ebay for a few $$, it looks just like the real deal and fits great, even has a tag to tell you what size drive which also doubles as the release for the drive.

I didn't like the idea of the HDD being loose inside the xbox, well worth the $2 plus $3 post from China.

I bought a slim xbox360 for Daza and swapped the HDD from his 'fat' one, it only takes a few minutes.

I bought an enclosure for the hard drive off ebay for a few $$, it looks just like the real deal and fits great, even has a tag to tell you what size drive which also doubles as the release for the drive.

I didn't like the idea of the HDD being loose inside the xbox, well worth the $2 plus $3 post from China.

I found them on flea bay yesterday and ordered one as well! Certainly a bargain little mod that makes the slim @$148 a steal, even if all you use it for is a media player, cheers.

I paid $235 from the local store for my Son's.