half baked

rethm maargas

Finally after about 18 months searching for a new pair of spks i have pulled the pin on a pair of rethms.

I heard them a couple of months ago and was very impressed with them, stunning midrange as you would expect from a full ranger (designed by Rethm ), but it was the bass from the built in subwoofers that had me grinning from ear to ear, totally seamless integration with the 6inch full range, incredibly fast and detailed.

sleepless night ahead i feel as i pick them up tomorrow..

Would love to hear them. Any dealers closer than NZ?

Sponsor

I adore their unique looks. What colour did you go for? And what will you be driving them with?

I insist on pics! How exciting - where did you hear them?

I heard them at the dealers house ( HiFi Direct ), i had a listen to the Ambience ref 1600 he sells as well while i was there, very nice spks.

I bought the dark metallic/ash version, hope i made the right choice. wife will be hell if she doesn't like them.

I will be using my Tom Evans Linear A to drive them, its a 25 watt SE, i also use a doge 8 pre/ audio gd ref 7 dac/ wavelength wave link usb with locus polestar usb cable. my spks at the moment are Decware HD towers with his modded fostex full ranger.

I've had the Rethm Maargas for a week now, and even though I only have about 50 hours on them, they sound absolutely amazing. This is good news as they are only going to improve. About 200-300 hours burn in is a recommended minimum for them. My previous speakers were Osborn Ref Eclipse and Decware HD Towers with a modded 8 inch fostex driver. The Maargas are in a different class altogether. If I would compare them to anything it would be something like the Magnepans 3.7 but with more bass. They have a wonderful openness to the sound, similar to the Magnepans. The design of the Rethms is obviously a major factor in this. They are horn loaded but designed in a way that the curved front, top and back remove any boxiness to the sound. Front-on they almost look like open baffles.

I know it's a cliche, but since I've had these speakers I have enjoyed going through my music collection and it has been like discovering new music again. Details that were only hinted at are now revealed easily. Studio noises, bells, triangles, drum brushwork and backing vocals are more present, with a sense of their own space and realism. On some tracks a second singer, which I had never heard before, is now heard singing quietly in harmony with the main vocalist. This detail extends into the bass as well. Most speakers I've owned or demoed sound blurred and boomy compared to the Maargas. The size and scale of drums, sticks hitting rims or skins, and reverberations inside drums or pianos have a realism to them that amazes me. Anything percussive sounds very realistic and live.

Last, but not least, is speed and dynamics. The subs easily match the full range in this respect so you get one very fast, ballsy speaker. I played Steely Dans 'Bodhisattva' last night and nearly burst out laughing at one stage. It sounded borderline out of control, very fast, tight and dynamic. My interpretation of dynamics is that nothing overpowers anything else in the music. Whether it is a brushed cymbal or a struck triangle, it retains its own sense of space and volume. The Rethms do this very well. Any criticisms? I think the speaker supports could be a bit wider and also the spikes don't pierce through the carpet, making them a little unstable, so I may have to look at some after market ones. So far the consensus is out on the look of the Maargas. My wife and daughter think they look like jet-engines!!! But I love the modern look as there is nothing else like them.

The Maargas are one of the best speakers I've heard. They are very easy to drive, have an effortless, non-fatiguing sound, are incredibly detailed and dynamic, and they fill the room wall to wall with a very open soundstage. Finally, they have active woofers that you can annoy the neighbours with, turn down for late night listening or simply turn them off because the 6 inch full rangers sound great just on their own. Anyone looking at Ribbons, Open Baffle, Horn or Active speakers would be impressed with these.

As a footnote I had a couple of non-audiophile musos here last night. I played a few tracks and I asked them to describe the speakers and sound in a few words. They described the look as unusual and the sound as clear, clean, rich, exciting and balanced with a big sound that fills the room. For me that about sums it up. I think I'm going to be happy with these loudspeakers for a very long time to come.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39902[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]39903[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]39904[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]39905[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]39906[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]39907[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]39908[/ATTACH]

Edited by half baked

Sounds very interesting.

Did you get to hear the Trishnas as well?

Would love to know how they compare.

the dealer only has the Maargas, I was thinking of getting the trishnas myself , but once i heard the Maargas financial sanity went out the window.

I think they would sound similar though in a smaller room. Same drivers just a smaller version

I'm sure he said he was getting in the saadhanas and trishnas..

Thanks for the excellent write up. Not heard of HiFi Direct before. Just looked at their website - very exciting range...lots of tubes and different speakers. Can't wait to have a little visit.

Thanks.

I'm only about 3m away and was wondering whether the smaller speakers would do the trick.

Thanks.

I'm only about 3m away and was wondering whether the smaller speakers would do the trick.

sorry, I'm not sure what you mean.

do you mean sitting 3mt away? i sit that far away from mine, my rooms 5.5 by 3.7

Edited by half baked

Nice write-up half baked!

I have the older version of Saadhana and they are truly amazing!!! Specially driven with a SET amp.

They are very underrated speakers as they don't have the 'esoteric' price-tag and the fact that they come from India. The after-sales service is very impressive as well, given that Jacob George himself replies to many of the emails.

Edited by pulinap

Having travelled to India several times i must admit to being surprised by the fit and finish of the spks, most things made there have a 'good enough finish' to them, much like my diy projects at home.

agree about the price, for the sound and finish they are bargain.

Sorry.

Listening distance is about 3 metres with my back to the wall with speakers on a long wall placement.

Thanks for your review of these speakers. I am seriously thinking about buying a pair of these and your write-up has pushed me in the direction of going in for an audition.

How are they sounding now they have a lot more hours on them. Also has there been any type of music that they didn't do so well with?

hi

my tastes in music range from jazz, folk, blues, world, prog rock, classical piano, and they play it all very well imo, if your into house or dub type stuff i would imagine you would be wanting more bass than these put out.

with more hours, approx 300 now, well every things improved, vocals just get better and better, i just love listening to them, i can't say more than that really.

Yeah, defiantly not into house or dub. My taste is more folk/rock, blues, jazz, but every now and then I like to play a bit of metal, though I could always play that with headphones on if I get the urge, probably best for all in close proximity.

Thanks for the update, I will book an audition in a month or two and see what I think.

Great little review & they look gorgeous. Bet Tom's amp drives them sweetly too!

You're also dealing with one of the absolute gems of hi fi in Walter, the dealer. I simply can't overstate how good my experiences have been dealing with him.

Alistair