Sentient

OzMillsy's system

I noticed in your photo these speakers are fairly close together. Have you tried them a bit further apart and perhaps toe'd in a bit more?

Cheers.

I noticed in your photo these speakers are fairly close together. Have you tried them a bit further apart and perhaps toe'd in a bit more?

I've been fiddling with placement a fair bit. Having them further off the walls seems to work the best in this room.

Thanks for the nice words Proac.

The kd is sounding nicer in this room now, with the dac chip change.

The Mytek direct though, has a completely unveiled feel to it, that I like. Regardless of format type being fed. It is very convenient to be able to fed it dsd, and not have to waste time converting the music. Dsd capability is a very nice feature.

Oz, I didn't realize you were running Mytek DAC now. What are you running PC or Mac,

software?

Apologies if you have covered this in another thread, I don't have time to cover

everything here, too busy.

cheers

Z

Oz, I didn't realize you were running Mytek DAC now. What are you running PC or Mac,

software?

Apologies if you have covered this in another thread, I don't have time to cover

everything here, too busy.

hey mate, No , My observation of the Mytek was in relation to a demo. Proac kindly bought his Mytek around for me to hear on my system.

We fed it via USB from my windows PC, and via FireWire from Proac's MacBook. Both sources sounded the same to my ears, But the Mytek did have a display quirk for my windows pc, where it wasn't showing the input type correctly??

An update for this thread. My work circumstances are evolving, during this time our house building project has been on hold.

While in this holding pattern homewise, I've been hankering to play with tube amps and other stuff. My SGR's are not for sale, they are still very much in the picture/plans for the new home. This is all experimental hobbyist play time.

A photo of the latest iteration of my sound system.....

latest_gear_120617.jpg

Vintage Tannoy Golds, driven by a Radford amp, and AudioNote M3 preamp. Over the past couple of months I've tried 5 different amps on the Tannoys, courtesy of some generous fellow audiophiles. I've settled on the Radford being a very nice match to the speakers, and the AudioNote has pulled it all together nicely.

Also in shot is the Luxman PD310 TT and Eastern Electric Minimax phono stage.

The components up close....

latest_gear_120617_b.jpg

Guest Muon

Nice speakers mate, and sounds like the Radford matches really well :thumb:

Mmm....love that Luxman every time I wee it :love

loving the look of that mate.

how you finding the sound compared to what you have been use to

Edited by JohnA

how you finding the sound compared to what you have been use to

It took quite some time for the system to come together. But it's really starting to sing now. The Tannoys have a beguiling beauty that is hard to describe.

Everything has pro's and con's, but I feel this rig is more musically engaging and involving, than what I was getting before. I like it very much, and find myself getting lost in the music very easily.

Andrew, can you tell us more about the Radford? Output rating, input/output impedence etc.

The Radford is an early STA-15 (60's I think). It delivers 15 watts per channel. Input impedance is 100k. Output impedance is selectable between 4, 8 and 16.

Google has plenty of info on Radford amps, it's an english brand that has quite a following, famous for their huge hand wound transformers.

Edited by ozmillsy

Not sure if you guys are interested, but here are some close up pics of the old Radford amp......

sta15-02.jpg

the transformers, they dont make 'em like this anymore.....

sta15-05.jpg

for it's age, the internals look very clean. these internals look very different to a Series 3 sta15, on each board each resistor and cap is soldered to little feet/spikes, making it very easy to replace them without having to remove the board. each resistor/cap is labelled (hand written), so you know what is what when comparing to the circuit diagram.

sta15-06.jpg

And it's serial number.

sta15-04.jpg

I'm yet to make an enquiry about it's vintage, but I suspect it's a really early one, given the way the internals look (compared to the S3).

I have SV/Jehuty to thank for this amp, they spotted it on Ebay and tipped me off.

Thanks Andrew, very interesting and thanks for the photos. Not sure 15W would drive my speakers but the description is intriguing...

Hey there Andrew!!!

The system looks beautiful (and those speakers look very familiar)!!!!!! :-)

Each time I catch up with my friend I loaned them to he regrets not buying them!!

Your system looks like it would sound great. You have some lovely gear there.

Making a port by drilling the enclosures should make a huge improvement to he sound (and another octave of clean bass)!!

Cant wait to hear hem when im next in Sydney!!

LPG

Edited by Lansche plasma guy

Making a port by drilling the enclosures should make a huge improvement to he sound (and another octave of clean bass)!!

Hey mate, definetly going to do that, have been tossing up whether to do it on the front, back, or on the angled sides. Am leaning towards the back, there's plenty of space behind them.

Getting them up off the floor made a huge difference the tightness of the bass with these cabs.

Cant wait to hear hem when im next in Sydney!!

Looking forward to having you over.