gainphile

Waveguide GTG IV

Hope I got that number correct ;)

Thanks for Roger to bring in yet another great compression driver. This time it's Celestion CDX1-1745, along with 8" and 10" pro Celestion drivers.

dOva9.jpg

qcMjt.jpg

boye8.jpg

We did polar measurements and then listen to them as dipoles to check out the cleanliness of the sound. They are very good indeed. The 10" was even better, interestingly.

Then we installed and measured the Celestion on Ewave waveguide (Pyle/JBL PT clone) and got this :thumb:

TulE7.png

BRRKU.png

We listened and compared the Celestion against much more expensive B&C DE250 and it was indistinguishable. Awesome value !

Blue: B&C

Black: Celestion

0t0UQ.jpg

I posted the full results here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/178187-great-waveguide-list-9.html

Edited by gainphile

the lasf freq response graph how was that taken ? I take it that is not at the listening position ?

Cheers, thanks. Were these EQ'd at all? What was the crossover frequency. Sorry for the 50 questions, just trying to understand the graphs a bit more.

Not a problem.

Yes, they are "full production" econowave. I'm trying my best (I dislike "admin") to document the xo at my blog (see "S15") but basically 1250hz LR2. I've done the woofer doco and you can see it's equalised using linkwitz biquad for critically damped response + baffle step. The tweeter basically just notch (which I haven't documented).

The Celestion is definitely a good find. We had it on the left side, B&C on the right. We switched from one to the other (in mono) and listened together. The sound was quite close and I think this driver has real promise, great bang for buck.

Celestion 10" BL10-200X

boye8.jpg

rr2uq.png

You could argue that the 10" is a much smoother driver than the 8!

Thanks Gainphile! :) Always great to test these speakers to see what they are doing. I too was pleasantly surprised by the Celestion gear!

Fantastic results!

My boxes are now complete (and in my possession yay!) so will have to organise to have them measured at the next GTG :)

With foam ? :)

Very much keen to hear the famous Oblate Spheroid Waveguides *in stereo* :)

With Foam!

I'll post a thread up when I get a chance :)