Sign in to follow this  
Luc

What to do in Adelaide?

Thanks Greg, if I can get some free time I'd love to take up the offer but the boss has decided I need a new wardrobe and shoes etc and she's dragging me around clothes shops till she gets what she wants...so that's going to chew up precious hours that could be better utilised listening to kit :/

if

If can I will I'd love to hear your SGR's :)

Hmmm, I'd be telling her that Adelaide is *definitely NOT* the place to go shopping for clothes. By the time the wholesale distributors get to Adelaide, all the good stuff has been snaffled. There's actually better shopping in Mt Gambier!

Send me a PM if you get the time.

Greg

Thanks Greg, if I can get some free time I'd love to take up the offer but the boss has decided I need a new wardrobe and shoes etc and she's dragging me around clothes shops till she gets what she wants...so that's going to chew up precious hours that could be better utilised listening to kit :/

if

If can I will I'd love to hear your SGR's :)

The new Burnside Village is an up-market suburban mall that has a good range of fashion stores (got the biggest Zara in the Southern Hemisphere). Its located on Greenhill road, Glenside. The hi fi store Sound Vision Studio is also located on the same road, about 1km west of the mall.

Arrived in Adelaide, had dinner at a place on Jetty Road, a cafe-bar called Crema and the service was good but the special of the day(WA Lobster and a medium rare smallish rump was well cooked but the consistancy of chewy dates) but we were rushed and hungry so a hundred thirty bucks later we're sipping a wine in the apartment.

Girls would like me to make particular mention in despatches to LHC for the information about Zara. They are now smiling and my wallet is trembling. Thursday should be VAF day I think and hopefully take up adrocks kind offer of a listen to his Apogees.

Is Zara near VAF by any chance?

Hi Luc,I drive past VAF every day on the way home and then past Burnside Village (where ZARA is) and its less than 10 mins between the two..Cheers ..Michael

Beauty, thanks Michael:D Now to find a good coffee in Jetty Rd.

My wife went to Zara in Sydney, and was very disappointed. I understand Zara in Burnside has better stock, although not as good as the European stores. Not sure how old 'girls' are, but Zara seems to do well with a younger (less than 40) set. Otherwise, Burnside Village has a lot of shoe stores. be warned.

Burnside Village is on Greenhill Road, which is an extension of the edge of the south parklands.

Vaf is on North terrace, Hackney which is an extension of the northern edge of the city (North terrace). If driving by car from Burnside Village, it is 5 minutes back down greenhill road (towards Glenelg) to Sound Vision Studio (note that it is more about vision and sound combined than pure stereo sound) and 10 minutes across to Hackney to VAF. AV Central is on Magill Road about 5 minutes from VAF (just east of VAF) - a good spot to see Krix speakers in a hi-fi shop. AV Central is also about audio and video, but a little more audio orientated.

Enjoy Luc - the weather is pretty good and the River Torrnes precinct is quite pretty with the rain, although the algae seems to have sprung up already :).

Benje

Thanks Benji. Presently at Rundle mall, hope to get a cab to Burnside later on, daughters18 and is impatient to get there... my wallet is already getting anxious.

Will try too get to the stores you mention as well

If you're at VAF tomorrow and see someone picking up an Oppo 95, say g'day, that will be me.

Wallets been hit to kingdom come by daughter+wife:mad: but I got to audition some Neuphonixs and Auram Cantus V7F's and then went to VAF and met Phil(nice chap, very knowledgable). Listened to the i66's and the i33's and I enjoyed the i33's more than their bigger brother.

I don't think Phil's 10x10 showroom with his Signature range parked next to each other is the ideal place to listen to them especially with the road noise and the odd customer coming in and the ensuing chatter.

So I don't think I'm being fair to the VAF speakers in comparison to the V7F's which I really enjoyed, the Krix much less so, particularly when playing classical and opera but they came to life with some funk/beat/Nu Jazz running through them. Lovely Luxman system Phil had going too, the Krix and Aurams were through a Marantz setup.

If I can get time I'll go back to VAF to have another listen of the i33's, like I said the i66's didn't present like the smaller speakers did. I'd love to listen to them at home though and if I heard Phil right, then I certainly don't need a huge amp to run them, to get the best out of them, his 20watt Luxman did a superb job I thought.

I'll have to listen to some panel speakers now, some stats, some hybrids to hear for myself the differences. Phil is very passionate about his creations(and deservedly so) and I will listen to them again.

I hope I can get to listen to Adam's(Adrocks) system tomorrow if I can arrange it with him.

Keith Watts at AV Sound was very friendly, not pushy and diplomatic(being an ex VAF employee)in his dealings and I enjoyed being left alone with the equipment in a designated room, the Aurums were very engaging.

:)

Top stuff. had a chance to pop into any pubs yet?

Not really Mike, been sipping wine and tapas down here at Glenelg and the last few days have seen me trudging all over the CBD as a pack mule for the women. Just heading off to the party now. I think there will have to be a recovery session at some stage tomorrow though.

I'll be interested to see how you fit 150+ guests and a 16 piece band into a small suburban plot...:)

I just got back from Clare Luc and it was a bloody hot drive today , not pleasant at all..2 hours to get there, spent an hour visiting and 2 hours home;

. The Coopers Mild tastes bloody great right now.

Are you still going up there?

Not at this stage grumpy, much an all as I'd like too.

Interesting views about the vaf showroom, I have similar feelings, I reckon when I get my i33s into my home I'll see a world of difference. I think if you were really keen the best thing would be to set something up in one of the wing rooms like the sounds all room.

I though Burnside village was that giant new greenhouse looking thing on portrush road?

Yeah it is a big greenhouse looking thing. Well listening to four different speakers yesterday has made me keen to listen to more. I spoke to one guy in a store who felt that the i93's were overpriced and the i66's less so but still dear. The 33's were about right though.

I think if you were really keen the best thing would be to set something up in one of the wing rooms like the sounds all room.

+1. It should be an easy set-up for the guys if you went into the eastern wing room - 5 minutes at most to set-up.

Guys

Caught up with Luc yesterday and a good bloke he was too, another ex Victorian just like me so he's gotta be good hasn't he.

We chatted hifi and I got to show off my system and give him my view on hifi. Poor bugga, he suffered heaps, but he was very gracious about it. LOL

cheers Adam:)

Yes it was a very enjoyable stay and far too short to fully tackle in Adam's amazing collection off kit,I was seriously in awe of his speakers and his lovely tubes... everywhere you looked there was another amazing amp. I'd need a really good day, probably two fully take it all in.

I wish I'd had the time.

Lovely bloke and thank you very much Adam(and your wife) for having me and particularly for chauffeuring me around:D

Good onya Adam for showing Luc some of our SA GTG hospitality.

I just couldn't find the time to catch up with Luc at this time of year unfortunately.

Grumpy

Hope you had a great Xmas day and make sure you post some pics of your great new TT when you get it.

Looking forward to reading to your listening impressions of it too. It couldn't have gone to a better home.

cheers. Adam

That's all right Grumpy, plenty of others offered as well and I just couldn't take up the offers without upsetting rellies etc.: Next time perhaps!

The thing about meeting Adam was not just his gear(it's a life of hi-fi obsession on display, as simple as that) but the stuff that is in his head and his very wise words. He made me think about what I'd just told him about my auditions with the above mentioned speakers.

I was relying on my ears to do the work, to signal to me what I like, what I heard.

But Adam pointed out that I wasn't taking into account the power going into the speakers and I wasn't, I hadn't really paid attention to it, I was being cursory in my acknowledgement of the amps providing the grunt, I wasn't connecting the power with the db's. It's a thing I'm going to bone up on before I go to Gosford to see Maggies with a Magtech.

It's these kind of insights and lessons you can only really get from person to person contact and I'll try to do more of it in the future thats for sure.

Well two days left here and then it's back home Tuesday evening, hopefully I can sneak in a trip to one of the other hi fi shops mentioned earlier in the thread before I have to fly out tue evening. :)

good luck Luc - it is Adelaide, and Monday-Tuesday are both public holidays. Nothing will be open!

Merry Xmas.

Benje

Yeah, I'm just realising that. Did some phone calls and no one answered. Oh well, it's pleasant down here at Glenelg watching the cricket. No boxing day sales either, girls are a bit cranky about that.

good luck Luc - it is Adelaide, and Monday-Tuesday are both public holidays. Nothing will be open!

Merry Xmas.

Benje

WHAT!!!!!!!!!! I'm almost out of milk and i need petrol