...mat-z

Hey TS. the weight is a Bren, comes from the US. Not too heavy, low profile. Makes a subtle difference but significant. Nice chaps to deal with. The RB250 is rewired with Isotek Cardas wire. Not using a mat 'cause the VTA is just right. I would like to sort the motor out one day & put in an external PSU.

...sorting the motor out gave me a huge lift in performance, as did the dampening of the arm and rewiring with Isokinetik silver plated wire...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kabusa sell a clamp that is meant to suit short spindle decks like Regas. I'm considering one. I'm also considering getting a shim to raise the height of the spindle as it can be decoupled from the sub-platter (glued on) so I can use a thicker mat.

...glued on??...Is it a Rega?? usually they are not glued on....

what k-thunk sound. If you have a k-thunk sound when switching the tt on/off I'd have someone look at the wiring. My tt is silent when I power it off & on. Everyone is different, I doubt if leaving it switched on makes a difference except for bringing the platter up to speed, but if you clean the LP with a brush b4 playing that allows the platter speed to stabilise. I use a Nagaoka clamp I purchased years ago. Works on short spindles etc.

...glued on??...Is it a Rega?? usually they are not glued on....

Have a close look. You'll see a hairline join where the plastic spindle is glued on. Crack it off and you'll find a metal centreing pin. Don't worry about damaging it, the spindle is a tight fit on the pin so the glue is quite superfluous. Looks like a tiny smear of contact cement.

what k-thunk sound. If you have a k-thunk sound when switching the tt on/off I'd have someone look at the wiring. My tt is silent when I power it off & on. Everyone is different, I doubt if leaving it switched on makes a difference except for bringing the platter up to speed, but if you clean the LP with a brush b4 playing that allows the platter speed to stabilise. I use a Nagaoka clamp I purchased years ago. Works on short spindles etc.

ZB gave me info on how to get rid of the 'k-thunk' sound, ie: with a cap and resistor, I havent gotten around to it yet...

...regarding keeping the motor on constantly, I think it has something to do with it staying the constant/right speed when warmed up....

No worries. Sorry for the confusion. Pictures speak more eloquently than I.

So if you raise the spindle with a shim of some kind you can use whatever mat or clamp you like. God knows why they were made so short in the first place. Anyhoo...

• 2 years later...

...I must admit in all humility that I have 'erred' regarding 'coles rubber mesh mat-z'...,(altho sonically quite good) they do in fact leave a residue and are NOT RECOMMENDED...  I am still trying to work out a way of cleaning the residue off. :confused: The residue occurs only when the LP has been sitting on the rubber mesh for a long period of time... Maybe steam can get it off ??

...now have ordered a cork mat...will see how that goes...

Edited by TigerScent

...I must admit in all humility that I have 'erred' regarding 'coles rubber mesh mat-z'...,(altho sonically quite good) they do in fact leave a residue and are NOT RECOMMENDED...  I am still trying to work out a way of cleaning the residue off. :confused: The residue occurs only when the LP has been sitting on the rubber mesh for a long period of time... Maybe steam can get it off ??

...now have ordered a cork mat...will see how that goes...

Woodglue?

Look for a maker of gasket materials, the cork/rubber(nitrile) gasket material is very much like the Thorens mat material....at least it looks that way. They usually make sorbothane and other compounds also, works out cheap.

This is the same kind of stuff. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cork-Rubber-sheet-Gasket-material-Nitrile-Bonded-1-5-x-200-x-100mm-/280961612692

If you use two layers bonded together....one can have the label area cut out to create the recess....and the lower layer accommodates the spindle hole. The two x 1.5mm gives you a 3mm mat. BUT the stuff in the link isn't wide enough

Made one from this a while back and worked well.

Don't know what I did with it, using a suede one of unknown origins ATM.

Edited by ortofun

Apologies for the "Woodglue" comment, couldn't help myself ;-)

I've been playing around with DIY platters recently, both cork and the shelf liner. After struggling to source the gasket cork at 3 auto parts store, I tried these raw-ish cork mats from IKEA:

http://www.ikea.com/aa/en/catalog/products/10281655/

Been interesting testing them individually and stacked. The best result has been just the cork on my Lenco. Seems to tame surface noise and make things sound a little better to my ears.

To cut the mats I found a metal pen body (Parker type thing) that punched a centre hole the right size, old LP as a template to mark the centre hole and edge position and then a fresh box cutter blade to cut around the edge of an old turntable platter used as cutting form. Turned out a perfect fit for both of my in use turntables.

Will soon be trying a few of these http://www.theanalogdept.com/platter_mats.htm

Edited by enikoy