Sign in to follow this  
stefan

Thinking about selling sound system. How much do you think it would it be worth??

Hi guys,

Yes I think it might be time to get something new, something diffrent, or something to add to my system.

I have a pair of 3-way LD Speakers, with a 10" woofer.

Impedance: 8 Ohms.

Freq: 35Hz- 20,000Hz.

Power: 40 watt RMS.

Made in Australia.

Then I have my amplifier.

Its a Yamaha CA-510 Natural Sound Stereo Amplfiier

Which is 300 Watts and 4 channel. 75 Watts to each channel.

Its a awesome amp.

Then we have my Kef Cresta 3 Speakers made in 1983 I beleive.

there 60 Watts RMS.

Type: SP-3031

Made in England

Impedance: 8 Ohm.

How much do you think there worth ruffly?

Also what do you think of the Logitech Z-5500 Computer speakers?

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products...,CONTENTID=9486

I would most likely get them if I sold my system.

What do you think?

Thanks

Stefan

1]What are your intentions?

2]Keep the amp and the Kef's

3]If you [i'm guessing here] run a sourround setup from a computer,well follow the above tips.

4]Get rid of those other speakers,they will NEVER match with the kef's so Ditch them.

5]Try and find another set of "Your" kef's on Ebay and match everything up.

6]Buy a "Powered" subwoofer and use the bypass filter on that to sort the differences between that and the Kef's

Your Kef speakers and your amp are the best components in your current system.

You should try to get another pair of those Kef speakers as the start of your quest for better fidelity.....forget about logitech...doof doof is for cars not HT.

Hey,

Thanks very much for the reply.

Well I am quite the doof doof person my self, I am into Mostly trance and rap and rnb music, so it does come down to a fair bit of bass.

I would LOVE to keep the kefs as yes they are great speakers, and I do think my amp is powerful enough. So I wil try looking at some more kefs and possibly look at a proper POWERFUL subwoofer,

My room is VERY small, but I do turn it up abit.

My amplifier can be turned up easily loud enough, ( maybe with bass turned down abit ( when having a dedicated subwoofer ) ) ..

Thanks Very Much :-)

Stefan

There's quite a bit of difference between "one note/doof doof" and proper bass reproduction.

For one,you can actually tell what sort of bass intrument is being used,bass guitar or syth bass.

If you have a small room don't be tempted to get a huge driver sub,a 8" bass driver will be a lot faster in the dynamics and could/should be easier to control and would be the wisest purchase with your kef's IMHO.

I just reread your original post.

I thought you had a suround amp.

The next step would still be to get the 8" driver powered sub.

Then If I were you, get a secondhand surround amp and then another pair of those kef's.

Then a centre channel.

If you go about it that way, you'll end up with a system that you can update bit by bit and still enjoy the benifits of each upgrade. ;-)

For trance/techno a smaller subwoofer is usually better Stefan, because the drivers are fast enough to make a solid doof without drawing it out and just accenting the main bass line. That said and done, there is nothing wrong with a larger driver, except they are cost a lot more to get good performance :P

I would keep your Kefs personally...but as for the rest of your system, what do you intend to use it for? 5.1 movies or just music? If you are going for music just get a 2.1 setup, but if you want 5.1 for movies, or movies & audio, there are a lot of considerations to make at your budget entry level, which I will mention more about once you clear up what your system is going to be doing :)

Cheers, Tom.

To "DOOF" or not to "DOOF" this is the question.

Ok I'm not taking the piss out of your favorite type of music,hell I just bought some YELLO 12" vinyl off Critter and have quite a collection of Techno,Trance,Dance music to test a system out.

What I find amusing is that anybody would want to acheive the 'DOOF" factor in any system.

Do you know what causes "Doof"?

It's bass speakers put into cabinets,car panels etc that don't have enough ridgity to stop the cabinet,panel resonating in sympathy to the bass frequencies that it is trying to reproduce.

Why anybody would want this beggers belief.

Your getting CRAP bass reproduction.

If you were to play the same music through a properly set up sub or duel subs,that music would hit you like a sleadgehammer,not like a pillow full of marshmallows.

It would grab you by the gonads and attempt to shove them down your throat.

To get GREAT bass you need,Attack,Extension and Control.

If you want great "DOOF",buy any new cheap sub,take the components out of the cabinet they came in, and remount them into the cardboard box that the sub came in.

You'd be in "DOOF' heaven

Amen to that Tweaky, DOOF in all it's unpleasant forms should be discouraged, serious BASS however.....................that's another story.

If you are using your PC as the source unit I am guessing you have a sound card with 5.1 preouts.

Hook the amp and speakers up to it and connect one of these babies to fullfill your bass needs. Haven't heard one myself but 1000wrms should be enough power for the most fanatical bass junkie.

RRP on the 8in is $1799.

http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/products/...13&sid=826a298f

If you want to reproduce DEEP bass with a sub and you only have a small room,try to source a sub that has a servo sensor[this sensor stops the sub trying to reproduce frequencies at to higher volume that might otherwise cause cone driver over extension,otherwise know as BLOWING your sub],it will save you a LOT of setup headaches and possible driver blow outs

Hello,

Thanks for the input guys. I am looking more towards a 2.1 type system. I wont probably watch to many movies and it would mainly be used for Music.

I have a subwoofer amplifier right now. I also have a 10" titanium in my room, which is nice for techno and Trance. I also have 2 8" jensen subwoofer in ported box which are rubbish for higher punchy type frequncies but for rap and rnb theysound very nice and low. I got the jensens from jaycar as discontinued stock for years ago.

They are very nice subs though.

I need to find more info on them though

The subwoofers remind me of the Expensive jensen powered subwoofer system usuing dual woofers.

When I listen to the wall of speakers ( car speakers ) at Strathfeild and they are playing Techno and trance it sounds great but yeahh , it still goes loud in my room but I think more quility sound might be better. Any suggestions ??

Thanks

Stefan

Stefan, if you can get some specs on the jensen drivers, we might be able to design a tighter box for them..........maybe save you a few bucks.

Andrew

Tweaky the difference between "doof" and a real kick is pretter obvious, but in general, the music is referred to as doof-doof, and most people couldn't even tell you what a kick was in reference to techno...so the word "doof" describes it to pretty much anyone :P

And, depending on the style or particular track, a lot of electronic kicks (mainly in the hard house, hardstyle etc genres) are actually intended to be long, drawn out "doofs". In trance, techno etc, you usually want a quick solid thump/kick not a long doof, or "whoomp" as cheaper speakers create. I have far too much "techno" music and in some cases the "doof" describes the kick well, as I said above...in softer styles however, nothing beats the "concussion" on your chest and stomach that each kick gives..

But suffice to say, for most people, especially whom listen to electronic music, high quality audiophile products aren't needed - hence why cheap "doofy" subwoofers are so common in cars.

Hey.

I have looked everywhere for the subwoofer, on the internet the model number is ft-8. I cant find it anywhere. I will have to try find some old Jaycar catalogues I think.

Thanks very much for your help, I will try my best to find the specs.

Thanks

Stefan

:smile: