Sign in to follow this  
scuzzii

"clip" Message For Rotel Rsp 985 Processer

Folks,

I was tinkering with digital coax vs analogue RCA inputs from my CD player to my Pre Amp (Rotel RSP 985). When changing from digital to analogue (using OSD) it would say "clip" whenever analogue was selected. When I would select digital "clip" would go away.

Now I assume this means clipping, but I have no idea how to prevent it. Any tips? Is this something that is effecting sound?

For the record, the analogue choice sounded better to me :blush:

John

Hi Scuzzi,

Yes this is a clipping indicator on the input side of the procesor.

Some processors have an input trim or input level attenuation for each source in the set up menu's.

You might find that this indicator will be lit on some recordngs and not be there on others as recording levels on the CD software varies considerably from one recording to another. In other words the output voltage from your CD player is effected by the recording levels on the mastering of the CD's you play in the machine.

The Rotel processors also convert all analogue inputs to digital as a means of processing the audio signal.

Cheers Tony C

BTW If it really bothers you and your CD player has a variable output you could lower the volume from your CD player, however the audio performance of your CD player is compromised by the cheap methods of volume control in mass market players.

Hi Scuzzi,

Yes this is a clipping indicator on the input side of the procesor.

Some processors have an input trim or input level attenuation for each source in the set up menu's.

You might find that this indicator will be lit on some recordngs and not be there on others as recording levels on the CD software varies considerably from one recording to another. In other words the output voltage from your CD player is effected by the recording levels on the mastering of the CD's you play in the machine.

The Rotel processors also convert all analogue inputs to digital as a means of processing the audio signal.

Cheers Tony C

BTW If it really bothers you and your CD player has a variable output you could lower the volume from your CD player, however the audio performance of your CD player is compromised by the cheap methods of volume control in mass market players.[/b]

Thanks again Tony,

good thing I'm upgrading the CDP in the very near future. Your advice is appreciated.

I very rarely use the OSD menu on the processor anyway. As long as its not damaging the equipment I will let it go. The Rotel RCD 971 has no visible volume control.

Cheers

John