Sansui AU 20000 amp on Ebay.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found it this morning. See how long it hangs around for $2500! I'm sure a few people will ummm & arhhh over this one;)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sansui-AU-20000-Amplifier-Definition-Series-No-issues-perfect-sound-/160692842135?pt=AU_Electronics_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item256a0a2e97

Interesting. I'm not sure what all the hype is about vintage Sansui amps, as in my experience they are bettered by Luxman, Marantz, etc from the same era. Some of them do look nice though and maybe a collector or sansui nut will snavel this one up. :)

Interesting. I'm not sure what all the hype is about vintage Sansui amps, as in my experience they are bettered by Luxman, Marantz, etc from the same era. Some of them do look nice though and maybe a collector or sansui nut will snavel this one up. :confused:

It might be snavel gazing :) but I agree. Big Luxman, Accuphase of the era is a class above, though i have no real experience with Marantz. The Sansui 20000 looks a treat though. Could be Darth Vader's amp.

Bill

Edited by blinky

This is a cut above all other Sansui integrated's I think, so performance will be dealt out in spades.

All of the brands of the day had there own sound and many take preference to the the Sansui one, Marantz also has a big following, but I think it would require a TOTL Marantz to have a chance against this fellow IMO :)

This is a cut above all other Sansui integrated's I think, so performance will be dealt out in spades.

All of the brands of the day had there own sound and many take preference to the the Sansui one, Marantz also has a big following, but I think it would require a TOTL Marantz to have a chance against this fellow IMO :)

yes, there are only a few that would have heard these high end Sansui's from the 'Definition' Series. The AU-20000 is a 25kg beast and a class above most SS from the same era. The hype with this one is well deserved

Found it this morning. See how long it hangs around for $2500! I'm sure a few people will ummm & arhhh over this one;)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sansui-AU-20000-Amplifier-Definition-Series-No-issues-perfect-sound-/160692842135?pt=AU_Electronics_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item256a0a2e97

Its been up on ebay for nearly a week so I doubt they will get the BIN option. Regardless how good, you can buy a lot of amp these days for $2.5K (the Gryphon Tabu on ebay for $2200 didnt sell - would this best the Tabu?)

Its been up on ebay for nearly a week so I doubt they will get the BIN option. Regardless how good, you can buy a lot of amp these days for $2.5K (the Gryphon Tabu on ebay for $2200 didnt sell - would this best the Tabu?)

Almost 3 days on ebay thus far. Total duration is 7 days on this item.

the value is not only in its rarity and history but also its performance. Do a Google search and you will soon see what this Amp is all about. It would have been absolutely leading edge hi-fi in its day, and up with the best even by todays standards. The specs will give you some indication on what this Amp is about - http://www.vintage-audio.com.ua/en/cat/66/51.html

Would it be better than the Gryphon? maybe.

A great performer no doubt. I heard an 11000 at a friend's house in Manila in the 1980s and it definitely possessed more grip and clarity than the lesser Sansuis. From the 1970s I'd still back a big Sony VFet against all comers, against a Tabu too.

Bill

the value is not only in its rarity and history but also its performance. Do a Google search and you will soon see what this Amp is all about. It would have been absolutely leading edge hi-fi in its day, and up with the best even by todays standards. The specs will give you some indication on what this Amp is about - http://www.vintage-audio.com.ua/en/cat/66/51.html

Yep, that's exactly it. Very strong performance, a bit of history, supreme build quality, and just a touch of nostalgia. This is the exact reason why so many modern amps don't do it for me. They are lacking in the character and soul department.

It was on Ebay 3 or 4 weeks ago (seven day auction) for the same BIN......

I remember seeing it come up on Ebay US earlier this year. Not sure why the current seller would go to so much trouble and expense to bring it into the country only to sell it a few months later.

Specs are wasted on me - but only because I have little interest in that side of things (only in what I hear). Not dismissing them, just they have never floated my boat. Can see totally the collectability and rarity of such amps, but when looking solely at performance, I wonder how they stack up to more modern options available in a similar price bracket. Like many things old, rare and collectable, we tend to view them through rose coloured glasses.

So, haven't heard an AU2000, nor a Gryphon Tabu for that matter so have nothing of value to add to the conversation. But have to agree, the Sansui is one sexy beast I would love to own should (or when) I win the $15M lotto tomorrow.

I think we have been collectively and individually tempted, its a lot of amp for the money....... but its a lot money for the amp......

Indeedery.

I'd need to off-load all of my beloved recapped AU's to fund this, and there's a snowflake's chance in hell of that happening :)

If I stumble upon a fixer-upperer AU-11000 or AU-20000 for reasonable dollars, that would suit me MUCH better.

I found Sansui AU-111 tube amp 1999 reissue in Sep this year when I was in Japan. Nice looking and in top nick.

The store were using it to play music, which wasn't a hi-fi store but some sort of giant cash converter type second hand store. The sound was great considering it's placement in the store But they were asking way to much for it

see attached picture, just remember still had it on my iPhone

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38809[/ATTACH]