Sign in to follow this  
TigerScent

... budget Phono pre-amps...possible mods, ideas

Guest Muon
For what it's worth, I took my Yaqin 12B over to ophool's house a few months back to make a comparison to his Genera. My 12B has had a bunch of mods in its life and working from memory I think I'd upgraded the tubes, caps and rewired it before the comparison.

Result: I preferred the Genera. It wasn't a case of the Genera being awesome and Yaqin crap - they both offer similar performance but the Genera had a performance edge when the music got complicated.

I believe the Yaqin has a hell of a lot of potential , from what I have read.

I imagine with all the mods it is sounding excellent, is there other mods still to go? maybe with better caps or key resistors it would elevate in performance again :)

Guest Muon
...with regards to boozhounds jFet, the diy forum review http://diyaudioprojects.com/Solid/JFET-Phono-Preamplifier-Kit/ on this, shows a 'over-sized' case with a myriad of batteries inside. I would much prefer to used a more streamlined battery system (or rechargeable) than have to replace dozens of batteries at one time. I would also over and above this, prefer to use a smooth/regulated power supply...or make one, with several large smoothing capacitors...who wants to muck around with batteries etc..., when you can have stable smooth dc with regulation and/or additional smoothing caps....

...a smaller compact case would be nicer too...

Maybe a separate power supply, and smaller but more smoothing caps :)

I believe the Yaqin has a hell of a lot of potential , from what I have read.

I imagine with all the mods it is sounding excellent, is there other mods still to go? maybe with better caps or key resistors it would elevate in performance again :)

yeah, but if he re-wired it, replaced the tubes and caps..., and the Genera sounded better (to him), its starting to look a bit 'lack-lustre' in comparison... so far

It would be good to know what parts were upgraded with what and what brands ie:

1. Which tubes were used-upgraded and what brand

2. Which caps were replaced and with what type and brand

3. What kind of wiring was standard, and what was used to upgrade it

4. What other mods are possible, and would they be likely to be dramatic or negligable...

5. What components is his system comprised of (in doing the test)

Maybe a separate power supply, and smaller but more smoothing caps :)

...yeah, 'smoothing caps' are good... I like those, I always go over the top with them, makes for a better result... IMO

On a different but related note: I tossed the power supply that came with the TC-750 aside, (unregulated-would you believe) and used a hi-power but good regulated supply, that was in excess in amperage potential (1.25 amps) to the one supplied, and the regulation is good. I used it previously with a cheap chinese generator (when in the outback) with the TV (now junk), and it was possible to watch it (good picture) with all the variations in rising/falling voltage on those 850 watt generators, whereas it was impossible (blinking) with a standard unregulated PS...

Edited by TigerScent

...the WBT is admired because of its excellent flow characteristics...

however, the Mundorf also flows quite well, doesnt take much to get it going, however, it does have a 'frosty' finish...

AudioNote solder flows very nice ,worth a try .

What loading does your cartridge need ,then look at phono stage's .

CHeers

Edited by 56oval

Try googling the Pass Pearl 11 kit. Nelson has some good gear

Try googling the Pass Pearl 11 kit. Nelson has some good gear

Thanks CJCC67....another possible option...

...well, I have just 're-soldered' all the solder joins (on the TC-750) with Mundorf Supreme Silver 'lead free' solder, even the transistors (after heating old solder and firmly 'tapping it off' while molten)...I decided to 'risk it'..., and hardwired the outputs to hi-Q mic balanced cable, with some copper base/gold plated RCA's....without changing ONE component yet..., except for a double thickness thicker earth wire (also the neg. RCA connections-all common)...I used the outside shielding of RCA leads as sink to the earth on the phono-pre-amp ... and the RCA to amp is floating....

...how ?!?, can this have such a noticable difference...., without a single component added...?!?!

BEFORE: upper midrange was more apparant, CD-like...but 'exciting', however, one needed to turn it down after a certain point (- 5 volume was limit)...now, ... its so much more 'mellowwwwww'..., (yet defined from ink-blackness) and I am able to listen to it (Linda Ronstadt) now at 0 volume setting (never been able to go so high), c o m f o r t a b l y.....

...will try the Elna Silmic II's on there next....hmmmmm

Edited by TigerScent

I wouldn't use my NAD T773 (7.1 AVR) as an integrated for a TT.

The ME gear would be a much better match :)

I wouldn't use my NAD T773 (7.1 AVR) as an integrated for a TT.

The ME gear would be a much better match :)

...I have another TT planned for the ME....

...however, the fully modded Rega Planar 3 sounds pretty amazing on the NAD T773...., regardless: in stereo mode. (when I sent it to Watsons Electronics Brisbane, I asked Michael to use the Mundorf SS L/F or WBT SS L, wherever they needed to solder...)

Edited by TigerScent

...well, just added the Elna Silmic II's..., this just gets more interesting as we go along..., now, it has added 'crispness with volume', but is still mellow to the ears...., and better deeper & punchier bass...kind of a 'silver/crispy-clarity-punchy-yet mellow:but not dark' sound....

...it sounds a lot like the Ortofon 2M Blue now (rather than the initial Shure M75EJ sound), I think better actually, ... from what I recall, when I first trialled it installed to the - standard Rega & RB300 - before I modded the RP3..., but I dont know what the 2M Blue would sound like now, with all the mods I have done. (its full-bodied sound, at lower volumes as well as clearer at high; however dont 'need' to raise them as much either)

...I actually do not feel the need to upgrade the Shure M75EJ II HE cartridge whatsoever now...It would just be a waste of $$$ IMO....

Edited by TigerScent

Guest Muon

The Pass Pearl was one I was looking at very closely, but the boards alone were out of my reach, but if it were an option I would have gone for it, looks good :confused:

It's fun what you are doing, Tiger' .I don't like the bit on solder, because it makes me feel the need to get that one :)

Edited by datafone

It's fun what you are doing, Tiger' .I don't like the bit on solder, because it makes me feel the need to get that one :)

hehehe...I quite like the Mundorf SS L/F solder, I much prefer it to anything else, it also has traces of gold in it...Its my preferred solder...

yeah, but if he re-wired it, replaced the tubes and caps...

Wow. Seems like this thread was busy today... Some answers to your queries:

It would be good to know what parts were upgraded with what and what brands ie:

1. Which tubes were used-upgraded and what brand

AU7 are RCA cleartops, AX7 are modern Tung Sol gold pins. Also tried Electro Harmonix AX7's and some GE triple mica 5751's.

2. Which caps were replaced and with what type and brand

Caps in the signal path were changed to ClarityCap SA's. PSU caps weren't changed.

Standard wiring looked a bit like headphone cables. Swapped to 24awg copper.

4. What other mods are possible, and would they be likely to be dramatic or negligable...

Look at the PSU first, then look at the components in the RIAA filter, upgrade those and bypass the line stage. I stopped modding when I'd pumped similar money into mods as the original (2nd hand) purchase price.

5. What components is his system comprised of (in doing the test)

The side-by-side was done on ophool's system which was a Technics 1200 with Denon 103 (I think), some fancy tube amp and fancier fullrange speakers. My own system is a Technics SP10, SME 3009 s2imp, Yaqin mc100b and DIY speakers.

...you know, this has happened with 4 items so far...I am actually wondering, if you get a reasonable but budget or good value/quality product, and do mods to it, it just takes off and soars like an eagle (to varying degrees)..., it seems that most are lacking quality components and just extra consideration in that general dept...the 'designs' themselves are probably mostly quite good or reasonable enough...., just compromised by cheap components and not enough extra 'deluxe' thought going into the final outcome...

Edited by TigerScent

Wow. Seems like this thread was busy today... Some answers to your queries:

Thanks Mellow....

Standard wiring looked a bit like headphone cables. Swapped to 24awg copper.

...have you thought of trying pure silver 99.9% with cotton sleeving or at least silver plated military grade with oxy-free copper (and thicker) ???

...silver just seems to facilitate that 'clarity-prescence-realism' edge...I found...

Edited by TigerScent

...anyway, with the mods so far, the TC-750 makes a decent enough sound now, for a $50 manufactured (cheaply) unit.... good for a quick 'need now' purchase, thats for sure...(then upgrade to enhance) extra mods/parts maybe add about $50 for Elna Silmic's + Mundorf SS L/F... good as a spare etc too for when upgrading - or just use, for a while anyway...

Edited by TigerScent

...have you thought of trying pure silver 99.9% with cotton sleeving or at least silver plated military grade with oxy-free copper (and thicker) ???

I'm sure I considered silver wire but decided there wouldn't (shouldn't ?) be a big return on investment. Not too much point spending big on ~20cm of silver wire when the signal's running though ~30cm of cheap circuit board and most of the components on the board (and in the signal chain) are worth less than 5c each. I rewired it using stuff I had laying around and only changed components designed to modify the signal rather than just pass it from point to point.

It's a fine amp but in the end I upgraded to a Jasmine.

YAQIN 22 B

I have a yaqin 22b good value for money

cosmetically pretty

delivered cost 2010 was $175

purchased for a third system

system 1 modified ming da 767 system 2 genera built for me by ophool see above

note 22b is mm only

22b a little noisy cos its in such a small box the wiring is too close to every thing else <even so a little fiddling halved the tiny hum

then i realized that i could replace 12ax7 with 5751 tubes which are 70% of the gain < a push in replacements

given that the 22b has such hi gain the hum disappeared entirely at my listening levels

fairly sure that had i done the valve change first the fiddling would have been unnecessary

FOR ITS PRICE POINT

provides a clear analytical sound

bass is not excessive so if u like cranked bass try elsewhere

mids and highs faithfully reproduce whats on the record

Edited by djb

thanks djb...incidently, the foam earplugs I used on the RB300 were just the 3M brand small box of them, found in Bunnings..., they are roundish/tapered...., works well...

...apparantly j7 has (or had?) difficulty foaming an RB300 with accoustic foam (he usually does the RB250 - I read on a forum his post that he cannot foam an RB300, although maybe he has found a way by now?!?)...., however, with care/intellect, it can be done using earplugs with good results. Takes about 7 earplugs..., you dont want to 'ram' them in there squashed together, but with smallish spaces inbetween each one, allowing each to expand and nicely grip and dampen the tonearm, while remaining reasonably 'lightish' and airy....

Edited by TigerScent

Usually Im used to hearing a soundstage inbetween the speakers in varying degrees in various points here and there, however, tonight is the first time, I have noticed additional sounds extending beyond the sides of the speakers....ie: left/right..., but usually springing out of the central variations of the soundstage...

Edited by TigerScent

...I changed 2 more caps 47uf Elna Silmic II (in addition to the 2 main ones), on the TC-750, and now it sounds rather 'bright' in the vocals/upper midrange, but well defined...., just (another) 2 caps, thats all I changed....and this effect -same value-different/better brand/quality & higher voltage rating ie: 63v vs 25v (should lower ESR - that could be it?!?). I can hardly wait for the rest of the caps to come, so I can do the whole thing and see the resulting effects...

...I got these 2 caps via ebay from 'hlly' whatever (thats another not-so-good story), I took one apart, to check they were authentic, however, there was a 'silky material' sandwiched between 2 layers of some polypropylene? or some plastic. I took a match to what appeared to be silk, and it did not burn like plastic, but it did slowly burn, but more like an organic material, so it probably was silk, and maybe an Elna cap - or fake chinese copy ?!?

...the others I got from PCMCS off ebay, however, I 'know' they are good/authentic..., and the TC-750 worked with balanced sound, until these last 2 components (from hlly) were added...Maybe its just created an imbalance by improving/modifying one area of sound, but the rest is still not as forward due to standard components ??, ... until I change them..., we will see....:P

Edited by TigerScent

Guest Muon

There are two versions of the Silmic, one and two (l and ll), is it that, or maybe it is just too much of that particular sound signature in the mix?

I'm building the Boozhond with the caps I have, will replace some of them along with a few resistors down the track...... grabbed two 12v batteries from Jaycar to power it http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SB2482&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=997#12 hope they last longer than 20hrs though :P the thing draws very little so should be good for a lot more ;)

Edited by datafone