Sign in to follow this  
hybridfiat

Beer: "proof that God loves us"

OK, so I got sucked in by the pretty can but it’s seriously tasty......

DDA64108-12EF-4353-84CD-6E8C93B7ED73.jpeg

20B91649-69AE-49E7-B159-C04A3F620D57.jpeg

3 hours ago, wim said:

tP4CXuG.jpg

I must look out for that one 🤙

20191017_191645.jpg

Edited by The Fez
edit - I usually have these in the brown paper bag..taste better from the bag...

On 10/10/2019 at 4:20 PM, wim said:

tP4CXuG.jpg

Thanks for the heads up👌

4D4EF138-8339-4576-928C-A4952342A8CE.jpeg

Is anyone keen on homebrew?

Not the nasty one that "That bloke from the pub" makes, and you drink in his garage after you rock there after the pub closes.

Actual beer that's made "to style".

Yesterday I got up at 4 AM to get to the train station, so I could travel to Sydney (Bankstown Sports Club) and judge beer in the National competition (AABC - Australian Amateur Brewing Competition), from 8:30 AM

I am a qualified and experienced beer judge.

1775996587_Venue_ID.jpg.75066044a816f83340088d616d774774.jpg

I didn't know what style I was going to judge, but I was prepared for just about anything. (Eligibility for this comp goes to beers that scored in the top 3 for each category in the relevant State competitions).

Woo! I got the Stouts. Woah, oops, Strong Stouts. 18 of them. [There are 20 categories, currently IIRC, with some similar styles combined].

We start with the mildest of the batch, which is a Tropical Stout (think Caribbean-style), slightly sweet and fruity. [Is anyone salivating yet?]

Only one of those. Then we escalate to Foreign Extra Stout (think Guinness Export strength). around 4 of those.

Increasing flavour to the American Stout style (think Sierra Nevada Stout) which has low to moderate hopping levels (maybe 4 of those).

Time for a 15 minute break/ toilet stop/refresher.

Back to the big job of the remaining 9 entries. All Russian Imperial Stouts (think big, strong, flavoursome stouts brewed for the Russian Royal court in the 19th Century. Example is Murray's Brewing's "Wild Thing").

1849675712_BeerStyle.thumb.jpg.e3e4f2914657b88ee46a61958e4e4cbe.jpg

After that, it about 1 PM and time for lunch, then back for an AABA delegate meeting for an hour or so, then home on the bus (to assist the NSW Government explore the bus/train equivalency conundrum).

*Note: The bus trip was scary due to the major factors of:

Driver could not stick to his lane;

Driver could not find a gear he liked and actually missed a couple of traffic light changes;

Driver had thick glasses (which wasn't a problem until he demonstrated his lack of visual acuity by waiting in a line in a right-turn-only lane for a few traffic light changes, before moving over to the left and forward again).

Lucky it was the "Express" bus to Newcastle.

*Note 2: the quality and number of photos is due to the phone camera and not due to increasing intoxication (allegedly).

Edited by Uncle Seth
dang corrections...

4 hours ago, Uncle Seth said:

<snips>All Russian Imperial Stouts (think big, strong, flavoursome stouts brewed for the Russian Royal court in the 19th Century. Example is Murray's Brewing's "Wild Thing").

One of my favourite winter warmers (OK--I drink it in summer too) and has been hard to find in the shops. I'm glad the numbers are picking up.<insert 'lip smaking' emoji here>

6 hours ago, Full Range said:

For Brisbane lovers of craft beer 

A micro brewery called slipstream brewing is just 3 kms from my house 

Its open to the public 3 days Fri,Sat,Sun

For those afar - one can shop online 

https://slipstreambrewing.com.au

big fan of slipstream and ballistic which is also in that direction 

7J8if6m36Y40HHdDbfWi7-luJ4ZB4zntiennid2Q

Edited by wasabijim

not really a beer or even like a beer

i came across these at the Brissy food and wine event. like a finely done ginger beer.  dangerously refreshing at 5%, i have a carton coming

iTR8gK4iV_VjrXPhLTxZz04iV27uCMPJzWmfMHfP 

aA_ihmcdE2qlPYqrvdyp1ro1ZRp7w9tdS5XSPJb4

16 hours ago, GregWormald said:

One of my favourite winter warmers (OK--I drink it in summer too) and has been hard to find in the shops. I'm glad the numbers are picking up.<insert 'lip smaking' emoji here>

Murray's Brewery is about 15-20 minutes from my house, so it's easy enough for me to get hold of (cash flow permitting).

5 hours ago, Uncle Seth said:

Murray's Brewery is about 15-20 minutes from my house, so it's easy enough for me to get hold of (cash flow permitting).

I'm about 10 mins closer than you, you must speed LOL. Don't mind spending a couple of hours there myself, checking out their latest, but it would be better if they improved the menu. No adult fish and chip meals, and no local fish. A bit disappointing really.

23 hours ago, wasabijim said:

not really a beer or even like a beer

i came across these at the Brissy food and wine event. like a finely done ginger beer.  dangerously refreshing at 5%, i have a carton coming

I was at Maxwells today and they told me cans weren't available quite yet, but soon.

I had to *settle* for 500ml bottles.😁

500ml bottle but no cans?!?!?

yes we must all learn to roll with life's little misfortunes 

Edited by wasabijim

29 minutes ago, wasabijim said:

yes we must all learn to roll with life's little misfortunes 

So.... not so great?

Shame... nothing ventured nothing gained....👍🍺🍺

On ‎26‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 5:53 PM, blybo said:

Ah, that’s better

0CF75684-C5E1-4201-9962-574CA311F716.jpeg

Love it but have found it gives me bad heartburn, for some reason. Have been smashing Ye Olde Fave, Coopers Premium Lager.

Just now, Darren69 said:

Love it but have found it gives me bad heartburn, for some reason. Have been smashing Ye Olde Fave, Coopers Premium Lager.

I just find them too strong to get through a 6 pack, so have found a "sessional" IPA called Tinnies that actually tastes good. May be too fruity for some but I guess I'm just a girly man :thumb:.

Pretty damned good for a 375ml can that is only 1 standard drink, as opposed to 1.9 for the Colonial.

generic_bundle.ashx?bc=white&as=False&w=

2 hours ago, blybo said:

I guess I'm just a girly man :thumb:

Gandalf.gif.06f2808306a4cedad90c687a14cab537.gif

2 hours ago, blybo said:

guess I'm just a girly man

image.png.3ea076b094922f7a08b7085ed2aa113e.png

23 hours ago, Mendes said:

So.... not so great?

Shame... nothing ventured nothing gained....👍🍺🍺

sorry, a misfire with my post - was mean to be referring to GregW and the issue with 500ml bottles vs tinnies

yes i like them, they're more like a cider than a beer tho, but i'm keen to try more, in between not at the expense of beer of course  

22 hours ago, blybo said:

I guess I'm just a girly man :thumb:.

...now I can't help hearing this spoken in Mathias Corman's voice. Thanks, I think!

his and hers

not sure about the beer aspect of the pea blossom, doesn't really day but the WAF is high - a gateway brew??

really loving Black Hops lately. they have that nice balance - readily available at your local, doesn't try too hard, may not win a 5x shoot out, but its a tidy consistent performer. I like this "white IPA" its happily doing its own thing. makes you sit up and go "mmm... that's... well nice" then lets you get on with things. turning out to be a bit flat over time, but i can forgive that for now.

9GCuAGRvzuejATIIF8B2vawYL18mGnt03moUpoeg

9k11h929SAoPQ9-OiPbZR8YLUBK5odKiF-YWaxqO

nKFqZFxGYXLlFNU8rtaY3-6o80Zp2VRLy5NVKewX