hybridfiat

Beer: "proof that God loves us"

Went down to Billabong in Myree last week with 2 freindsand bottled 152 ginger beers which we share and put down aother ginger beer and a Special Bitter that is very like the english ale 'Bishop's Finger'.

Im looking forward to bottling it an a weeks time.

Hmmmmmm drool

Isn't it dissapointing when you buy an "import" only to find it's brewed here under licence? Happened to me last weekend, brought home a sixpack of Carlsberg, cracked one and thought "hmmm this tastes familiar" and not really in a good way. Checked the label which said it was brewed here by *hurl* Fosters.

Put that one down to experience.

Just had a similiar Heineken experience - one mouthful and down the sink. Vile.

If anyone spot Jever around the traps in retail let me know.

We bottled a "special bitter" at Billabong on Tues. Very malty and a fine dry finish. Very nice indeed but I was wrong in my previous post it is a copy of "Whitstable Bay". Im going to try their version of Toohey's Old next time. A guy was bottling up in 'king browns' and gave us a taste. I liked it and so did the others in the small group of 'beerasseurs' I brew with.

I am thinking of commissioning a special run of Tshirts with the logo "So many beers, so little time" for our brew sessions.

Edited by hybridfiat

^^ I was looking forward to reports of the third knuckle...

john-hollows-ginger-beer-beer-online-1320966174.jpg

yummm, just like bundy GB only with more bite

That's really cool. So how have your self-cultured-yeast brews turned out? I'd like to try that sometime. I have this fetish for hefeweizen that I cannot afford with any regularity...

I believe that home-brew should be considered as fruit from the vine...a rarified pleasure for the common man.

Yeah they've turned out pretty good. Best thing about reculturing commercial yeast is it costs the same as just buying the yeast, but you get a free 6 pack of beer to drink with it!!

I used to routinely reculture Coopers yeast. It's excellent. No need to pay for the Wyeast or Yeastlabs version.

Plus every one comes with a free bottle of Coopers.

Thanks rehabitat, who sells this GB?

I picked it up from BWS and I reckon Dan Murphys would also stock it. It's nice to be able to get real brewed gb, not just ginger flavour added to beer like bluetongue et al. Let us know what you think of it.

Dan Murphy carry it. A good drop indeed, as too is Crabbies GB. Had some Ginger Beard the other night, bit bland and one dimentional tasting.

I'll have to try the Crabbies and yeah ,some of the labels on the British imports like G Beard are a bit overdone and kind of put me off. A bit too "Warhammer 40k" if you know what I mean.

Btw my obtuse comment about the third knuckle was a reference to Bishops Finger ale; damn fine drop that.

Thanks for the feedback on the yeast guys. I like the bonus' involved :thumb: I'll try not to think of the waste as I bin another coopers bottle, already have heaps. One day I'll find the time to brew again.....otoh I probably need to find a local buddy to go brewing at one of those commercial joints.

Cheers gents

This re-culturing sounds interesting. I'm not a brewer -- but you guys obviously have much experience in all things brewing. My neighbour is a pretty serious brewer. I tasted a weiss bier he did -- bloody nice! He's got big bags of various grain, controlled brewing conditions. Full-on "small industry" sized various stainless steel vats, and brewing equipment. Brewing -- he reckons is actually hard work!! Oh but the rewards!!

If you can try Innis and Gunn from Scotland, I highly recommend it - http://www.innisandgunn.com/ when I am not in Scotland (which is pretty much all the time) I find it online at danmurphys.

Oak aged beer, now that an interesting idea. Irish Whisky Cask I would definitely like to try.

My local lickerland have some Weihenstephaner brews in this week, of course the hefeweizen is almost all gone already...

1156.jpg

My local lickerland have some Weihenstephaner brews in this week, of course the hefeweizen is almost all gone already...

1156.jpg

Nice

Brew day!

No time to make an all grain beer today, extract it is. Neill's Centenarillo, using Centennial and Amarillo hops, Nottingham yeast.

In other brew related news, I have been lusting after this - http://www.braumeister.com.au/

Just gotta convince the other half its a worthy investment.

..brother came back from Tassie recently. Said he had a great brew whilst there -- MOO BREW...I eerrr...happened to run into it at Harts Pub in the city the other night. Bloody VERY nice brew. However in this cooler season one tends to turn their attention to the Porters and Stouts...ENJOY..........................................Responsibly:)

..brother came back from Tassie recently. Said he had a great brew whilst there -- MOO BREW...I eerrr...happened to run into it at Harts Pub in the city the other night. Bloody VERY nice brew. However in this cooler season one tends to turn their attention to the Porters and Stouts...ENJOY..........................................Responsibly:)

My beer buddy at work bought me back some Moo Brew and 7 Sheds back from Tassie, very nice

My beer buddy at work bought me back some Moo Brew and 7 Sheds back from Tassie, very nice

Tassie -- They've got a lot to answer for!!! ..Yes its very good that Moo Brew....

Just bottled the Centenarillo Ale today. Been a big beer weekend, starting on Friday with some Mountain Goat Steam Ale and Hightail Ale, both were fantastic. Also has some Moo Brew Pale and Dark Ale.

On saturday myself and a couple of friends drove up into the Adelaide Hills and found ourselves at the Lobethal Bierhaus. I enjoyed every single beer there! After trying some beers individually we bought tasting paddles for $15. The 10.5% ABV Devil's Choice was SENSATIONAL. You would never be able to tell it's such a strong beer. Easy bitterness coupled with really nice honey flavours.

We also bought some buffalo wings that we asked for extra hot. They were so f*cking HOT I went deaf in my left ear. Fantastic.

53b98d1d.jpg

58ec16f9.jpg

Thats how you spend an afternoon. I was in Sydney recently with Mrs Caddis, we went to Redoak for dinner.

Bloody fantastic, their Bitter was my favorite, I can recooment the beer and cheese tasting plate

Thats how you spend an afternoon. I was in Sydney recently with Mrs Caddis, we went to Redoak for dinner.

Bloody fantastic, their Bitter was my favorite, I can recooment the beer and cheese tasting plate

Redoak is GOOD. Beer AND their food, goes great with their brews....

Just bottled the Centenarillo Ale today. Been a big beer weekend, starting on Friday with some Mountain Goat Steam Ale and Hightail Ale, both were fantastic. Also has some Moo Brew Pale and Dark Ale.

You brew your own Moo Brew? How can I get a tap connected from Sydney!!! That place in the Hills looks fantastic. Got friends in Adelaide too....mmmmmm might be time for a visit..

You brew your own Moo Brew? How can I get a tap connected from Sydney!!! That place in the Hills looks fantastic. Got friends in Adelaide too....mmmmmm might be time for a visit..

Quite a few breweries are opening up in SA now. Nowhere the amount that VIC or NSW have, but its getting better!