After much searching for a mint condition amp, i finally settled on This great Onkyo Integra A-8170.

I couldn't afford to buy a brand new high end amp, so i found the next best thing for a great deal less money. Pictures don't do this amp any justice, when looked at in the flesh it actually looks like it has arrived straight from the factory, as photos always show all the finger marks.

A few months ago i purchased some new Klipsch RB-81 II bookshelf speakers, and was running them off my AVR. Now my speakers have come to life with some serious power, sounding so dynamic & powerful, crystal clear vocals & drums sound amazing!! Max volume on the amp is 40, i don't push past 13 - 14 on the dial as volume is getting seriously loud!

[ATTACH]38264[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38263[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38265[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38266[/ATTACH]

Edited by Mushroom01

All the bits that matter.

[ATTACH]38267[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38268[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38269[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38270[/ATTACH]

Description

Onkyo Integra A-8170 High Endintegrated amplifier in NM condition.

Recently serviced which includedcleaning and lubricating all the controls and switches for static free smoothoperation.

Features:

Output for 2 pairs of speakers.4-8ohms.

Phono input. MM-MC. Moving Coil orMoving magnet cartridge.

Tuner input.

CD input.

2 x Tape/Dat inputs.

VDP (Video Disc Player)

VCR input.

Bass, Treble, Balance and Volumecontrols.

Contrabass Control.

CD Direct Selector. 100% Tonecontrols bypass.

Stere-Mono selector.

Soft start relay.

Big quality Onkyo 12,000mfCapacitors.

Power is rated at 80 w/ch continuousinto 8 ohms, and dynamic power is 115 w/ch into 8 ohms, 170 w/ch into 4 ohms, and 224 w/ch into 2 ohms. Dampingfactor is 50, andharmonic distortion at rated power is 0.008%.

Further specifications

Power

• This model of Onkyo's amplifier offers an output of 80 watts per channel. In addition, at 8 ohms, both channels are driven from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, with a maximum of .008 percent harmonic distortion. The unit's dynamic power is 224 watts at 2 ohms and 170 watts at 4 ohms. The harmonic distortion is .008 percent at rated power and at 1-watt output, and the intermodulation distortion is .005 percent at rated power.

Sensitivity/Impedance

• This amplifier unit boasts a damping factor of 50 at 8 ohms. Its input sensitivity varies from settings and input device. For Phono (MM), it's 2.5 mV per 50 kohms. For phono (MC), it's 160 µV per 220 ohms. For the CD, Tuner, Tape, VCR and VDP settings, it's 150 mV per 50 kohms. Finally, for output impedance, the Tape Rec setting offers 150 mV per 1.5 kohms in Phono.

Tone/Frequency

• In terms of tone control, the A-8170 allows the user to set Contrabass, Bass and Treble. Contrabass maxes at +10 dB at 20 Hz; Bass maxes at ±10 dB at 70 Hz; and Treble maxes at ±8 dB at 20 kHz. The unit's frequency response for both the CD and Tuner settings is between two and 50 Hz

Edited by Mushroom01

Nice amp! I don't mind the Onkyos!

Looking at the guts reminds me of the Marantz PM64ll.

I think I've got one of those on the fixer-upper pile at Dad's place!

Pete, the Marantz PM64ll is a very quiet amp, nice sound stage with good separation too, the one I had....had an issue with the speaker protection relays sticking, but the top of the relays just un-clip for easy cleaning.

That is a very nice looking amp and it sounds like you are very happy with it. Classic styling, about what vintage is it ?

1986 - 87. Baby brother to the A-8190.

Early days yet, but so far i find it brilliant! seems to be a great match with my Klipsch speakers IMO.

Cheers

Nice amp. Those old intergrated amps are very good. I bought a brand new A-809 from audio excelence in the 80s 115 w per channel ,its huge and has been a great amp, Still have it