Help with Turntable and Speaker Purchase

Hi Guys, I have just been generously given a mint Rotel RA-840 amp and I am looking to get into the world of vinyl(of which im a complete noob). I am looking to spend between $1000 and $1500 on speakers and a turntable. I already have a pair of superb Audio Technica open ear ATH-AD900 headphones that I love and I will be using for sure. I require my speakers to be bookshelf size with emphasis on clarity. Bass is not important to me as I will be playing my music at a moderate low volume under 80db at all times (I suffer from tinnitus). I have been looking at the Project Debut 3 and Rega brands for turntables. Aesthetics are important to me also. What do you guys recommend?

Cheers!

Have you considered secondhand marcs?

Better bang for buck :thumb:

Speakers for $200 http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/41056-Tannoy-607-speakers

That leaves plenty for stands and a nice secondhand TT.

Another pair of standmounts http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/40932-FS-Spendor-S20-loudspeakers-incl.-stands

Edited by datafone

A little off topic, but I assumed you'd want higher volumes with tinnitus, to drown it out so-to-speak?

And on-topic, I'd spend up to $500 on the TT, and $1,000 on the speakers. These would be ideal if you could stretch http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/37457-FS-Dynaudio-Focus-110-in-Maple

Loud noises, anything above 80db to be specific exacerbates my tinnitus. So Loud music ( in the damage level zone) is a no no. Rumbling bass also make my ears uncomfortable thats why I prefer clarity as I will be playing at low volume at all times. Yes my tinnitus was noise induced from many many many loud concerts and abusing my ears. So protect your ears people take it from me!

wow i really like those Dyn's love the colour also. Thanks for the headsup.

My gut tells me to go for the rega TT. I was told to go for the p1...

Have you considered secondhand marcs?

Better bang for buck :thumb:

Speakers for $200 http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/41056-Tannoy-607-speakers

That leaves plenty for stands and a nice secondhand TT.

Another pair of standmounts http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/40932-FS-Spendor-S20-loudspeakers-incl.-stands

to stand or not to stand that is the question. Acoustics and placement of speakers is another world i need to learn about. Would a desk or hard bench suffice?

Loud noises, anything above 80db to be specific exacerbates my tinnitus. So Loud music ( in the damage level zone) is a no no. Rumbling bass also make my ears uncomfortable thats why I prefer clarity as I will be playing at low volume at all times. Yes my tinnitus was noise induced from many many many loud concerts and abusing my ears. So protect your ears people take it from me!

wow i really like those Dyn's love the colour also. Thanks for the headsup.

My gut tells me to go for the rega TT. I was told to go for the p1...

Buy a second hand Rega Planar 3. It would be better value given your budget and your preference for the aesthetics of a Project Debut 3.

The Dyns are nice speakers. You might want to check that the 40 WRMS per channel that your amp has would be enough to drive them.

to stand or not to stand that is the question. Acoustics and placement of speakers is another world i need to learn about. Would a desk or hard bench suffice?

It would be fine initially but some speaker stands would offer a substantial improvement in sound.

Thanks for clarifying re tinnitus.

If you use a desk or bench, see if you can position them so that they're close to the front edge, ie so there isn't too much first reflection from below the main driver.

RP1 would be good if going new, agree on a P3 for used. These seem to be fetching around $500 with a basic cartridge, and have potentially dropped slightly in value since the RP3 has only just been released.

Personally I'd rather purchase a brand new tt and 2nd hand speakers as I've found there is much better value in the 2nd hand speaker market (probably because it is bigger). I've listened to the debut and it is a very capable turntable, although I found the gap between it and the next model up (Xpression III) to be quite noticeable. Not heard the RP1 but by all accounts it is slightly better than the debut. Basically the debut/rp1 dominate the entry-level market and buying new for ~$500 it's not worth looking at much else.

Buy a second hand Rega Planar 3. It would be better value given your budget and your preference for the aesthetics of a Project Debut 3.

The Dyns are nice speakers. You might want to check that the 40 WRMS per channel that your amp has would be enough to drive them.

I cant find the exact specs of my amp in a simple google search.

Its a Rotel RA-840 (non bx). The front panel states its 8 ohms.

I cant find the exact specs of my amp in a simple google search.

Its a Rotel RA-840 (non bx). The front panel states its 8 ohms.

Rotel is part of the Bowers and Wilkins Group. See here for the manual. It is 40 WRMS per channel. Rotel tended to be conservative with their ratings so it may actually produce a bit more than that.

The active versions of the Dynaudio Focus 110 speakers, the 110A variant, utilise a 50WRMS per channel amplifier in each speaker. You might be fine with the Rotel RA-840 integrated amplifier driving them. Six Moons reviewed the active version here.

Edited by Telecine

Hi Marcs, I am also a noob so have no advice to give except my recent purchase experience. Having just purchased my first turntable, an old school and much older and wiser friend said that for my budget the rega rp1 as a new turntable couldn't be beaten, he has a rega from the 70's that he still loves amongst others, so I was happy about the advise. I decided to purchase one online and I am very happy with the result even with my very moderate setup, which was for my digital tv system. Off topic but I am much happier playing vinyl and discovering new music than I ever was now that I have a turntable and loads of records to play. :P

Cheers

Neil

Offtopic a bit but thanks for the heads up RE Tinnitus, my dad always used to tell me to watch for my ears and I took his advice and i'm very glad. Sorry to hear about your condition though, maybe it can get better with time?

yep wise words from your dad. It doesnt get better with time, unfortunately its permanant. You just get used to it. I still regularly go to concerts but I always wear ear plugs.