Finally! a dedicated listening room

This is our first ever dedicated music room!

Still a work in progress, But it's functional and we are really enjoying the time in here.

I've borrowed ideas from through out the showcase thread. Over xmas we'll colour code better and add a few upgrades.

Over xmas we'll colour code better and add a few upgrades.
Xmas came and went, Managed to add a fresh coat of paint to the walls and ceiling, and traded the floor to ceiling drapes for some Wood Blinds, Opens the room up for summer lets a lot more light in and makes the room a lot more enjoyable to sit in during the days.

Also thanks again the the handy for sale forum here, managed to pickup a nifty little Project TT, to try and respark our vynal collection

These new picks include Gutty's amazing custom made solid 20mm Machined alloy Base outriggers and SS foot spiked attached to the already amazing ProAc R3's.

Not the best qual pics soz, hoping to get a decent camera soon

IMG_3665.jpg

IMG_3657.jpg

IMG_3666.jpg

IMG_3668.jpg

IMG_3673.jpg

IMG_3695.jpg

IMG_3697.jpg

IMG_3701.jpg

Edited by Defyant
updated.

Out of interest, what are the dimensions of the room? What are the distances between speakers, listening positions? How do you find the imaging, soundstage etc? I am trying to design a small room as both a functional study and a listening room and I think it may be a similar size.

Looks good as it is!

Why so many speakers?

Can't decide?

I really love the laid back sound of the TLs and prefer the sound they produce in lot of our music. The R3's are also amazing and eventually will stay as the mains.

Out of interest, what are the dimensions of the room? What are the distances between speakers, listening positions? How do you find the imaging, soundstage etc? I am trying to design a small room as both a functional study and a listening room and I think it may be a similar size.

Room size is 4.5 x 2.2m we are seated 2m from the speakers. Imaging works well, altho I feel the narrow confines tunnels it abit. Sound stage is nice! Again could prolly feel a bit more encumbassing in a wider more open room. Ceiling to floor curtains and the thick floor rug has seemed to have the most effect , Deadening the room sound falls away very quick. Over all I'm happy for now, I,m sure it is no where near optimum but at low to moderate volumes it is very pleasurable and non fatiguing.

Great work, it is nice to have some dedicated space for this hobby of ours.

What was the room used for before it was converted?

Cheers Drizt, like mark is working on above. It was my pc and stereo room! But wanting to spend more time relaxing with music than sitting in front of a pc screen is a far more enjoyable way to spend my time.. Our time :confused:

Little update, took a lot of the toe in out of the speakers and this alone has opened up the sound stage. Good Imaging is not as confinded to a single spot in the room. I think now some work with bass traps is needed. I'm noticing alotta difference in bass as i stand up and sit down and move around within the room.

Made a couple of DIY Base trap panels today, wood and rockwool from bunnings and material from spotlight. Followed a diy from good old youtube :) still playing around with placement and plans are to make another six. Adding a middle front sides and rears. Moving just the 2 around in such a confined space creates some different bass effects.

Most noticably to the TL's!

Edited by Defyant

Some treatment on the walls to the side of the speakers and a little forward should help immensely :(

So you are definitely on the right track :)

What are they referred to as?

Secondary reflections? Early?

Nice gear ;)

Edited by datafone
Some treatment on the walls to the side of the speakers and a little forward should help immensely :(

So you are definitely on the right track :)

What are they referred to as?

Secondary reflections? Early?

Nice gear ;)

Cheers datafone your definately right,The next ones built this week will be for the side walls. I'm not sure of the exact terms. But i know theres a lotta boomyness in the room we are trying to tame. Reading though some of paul's write ups trying to get my head around it all.

TURN IT DOWN!

I'm trying to listen to the cricket over here @ Earlwood!

LOL I hear a bit of that coming over the fence every now and then:)

Oh dear god!

Cricket season again :(

we finally won a match!!!

Looks very inviting. Enjoy!

Cheers Tax a place to relax on weekends and evenings.

I really like that room, it would allow you to fine tune things well well I think. Fantastic setup indeed.

Cheers mate Ty, your new bedroom set up inspired me to get something setup in our bedroom room aswell, best thing we ever did!

Cheers mate Ty, your new bedroom set up inspired me to get something setup in our bedroom room aswell, best thing we ever did!

Oh thats excellent thanks for that :P I wish I had more space but i'm still living at home haha. I already have a substitute system that will go into the bedroom of my own house in the future and I can move all the current equipment into something a bit more fitting :)

Would you believe that the biggest room in our house (the lounge) is used for guests only haha. Its 3 times the size of any other room. One of those fancy furniture/silverware/dining table sort of lounges.

I really like what you've done, those speakers look very neat. It would feel very comfy indeed.

• 2 months later...