High resolution vs Vinyl

Guest The Fresh Prince

<mod hat on> That was a serious request! We may have different tastes in music and hardware but we WON'T be making fun of each other's systems or music <mod hat off>

(Mod hat off) As that almost certainly isn't Arg's system, I think Turntable has you on a technicality :).

Things needed for high resolution playback:

CD Transport/Media device (such as PC)

DAC

Things needed for Vinyl High Resolution Playback:

Vinyl Player

Turntable Preout

Large amount of space to store records

cleaning Brushes

Cleaning Solutions

Vinyl Protectants

Scheduled Stylus/Cartridge Replacements

A huge amount of patience and dedication

hehe. Mind you i'm a huge Vinyl fan, just thought it was an interesting comparision.

Things needed for high resolution playback:

CD Transport/Media device (such as PC)

DAC

Things needed for Vinyl High Resolution Playback:

Vinyl Player

Turntable Preout

Large amount of space to store records

cleaning Brushes

Cleaning Solutions

Vinyl Protectants

Scheduled Stylus/Cartridge Replacements

A huge amount of patience and dedication

hehe. Mind you i'm a huge Vinyl fan, just thought it was an interesting comparision.

and storage space for CDs. I have 2 Wilkins&Kent CD storage cases and 1 LP one

No way! There are some very capable PC based internal sound cards out there with 24/192 bit processing and DAC's.

And if they have a headphone jack then you could just use headphones and get rid of pre-amps, power-amps, speakers, room treatments and all leads and connectors. How's that for simplicity and lowest component count.

Can you play SACD's on a computer?

What is your system, Dr X? I gave up on sound cards a few years ago.

I don't use an internal sound card. I actually use a Musical Fidelity V-Link (USB to SPDIF converter) from my HTPC Laptop to my DEQX processor.

Cheers.

Thanks 'fone.

Wondering of anyone else has any experience they want to share specifically relating to High Res (rather than CD)?

The reason I ask is I have recently got into downloading albums from HD tracks. I was fairly sure that these would sound better, or get close to vinyl. This evening I have been comparing Rumours on High Res compared to the remastered vinyl Rumours (33.3). To my surprise, vinyl still rules the roost to my ears and in my system.

It's no that high res is bad, it's just so different (on this particular recording. I plan to try others)

I haven't read this thread yet to see if this has been addressed, but in my experience hi res from HD Tracks is NOT hi res, so no wonder vinyl sounds better.

Do some research, they have been caught on numerous occassions pedaling everything but hi res. At best your paying double the price for CD quality.

In a word, shonks.

Actually if you use the analog output of your computer you don't need an external DAC :)
But then would need a good ad-in sound card, as on-board sound solutions are wanting.

But then would need a good ad-in sound card, as on-board sound solutions are wanting.

Left wanting what?

Perhaps you're talking about the parallel universe called audiophile land where the laws of physics are a riddle wrapped up in an enigma!?!?! :)

I know its morphing the subject somewhat but ...

For the sake of argument, Stevenvalve's, JerryTone's and Kajak12's systems are often mentioned in dispatches as being right up there re system excellence. As far as I am aware, and correct me if I'm wrong, all 3 fine gentlemen use 16/44.1 red book CDs as source material. Begs the question; is vinyl or hi-rez even required for superior performance? Are (well mastered) CDs as good as you need? Food for thought.

I know its morphing the subject somewhat but ...

For the sake of argument, Stevenvalve's, JerryTone's and Kajak12's systems are often mentioned in dispatches as being right up there re system excellence. As far as I am aware, and correct me if I'm wrong, all 3 fine gentlemen use 16/44.1 red book CDs as source material. Begs the question; is vinyl or hi-rez even required for superior performance? Are (well mastered) CDs as good as you need? Food for thought.

Hi aechmea

The difference between Terry system it can do the 18hz to 20khz with ease and finesse .

So if your ( not you personally but general ) going to debate high resolution soft ware wouldn't you have to have the a system to replay it to its fullest .

CHeers

Mate, I guess you mean by "virtually infinite tone control" ... your DEQX? :)

Yes, sure, with LPs there is the RIAA equalisation applied by the cutters ... and then reversed by the phono stage ... but that's inherent in the vinyl medium and I don't see why it's an argument for having analogue tone controls in a preamp? :)

IMO, tone controls are just another f**k-up component so - unless you can defeat them during "normal" listening, so they don't affect the signal - they are best done away with. Balance control also (certainly Graeme Rodwell, as a matter of course, used to disable the balance control in the Naim premps he sold ... although I don't think they had tone controls!).

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy,

How are things with your Frankenpans. I was contemplating the other day that I should really buy some 20.1s before the $oz shrinks and before I go any deafer. Anyway ...

Yes I was referring to the DEQX wherein you can achieve all sorts of tonal adjustments (in the broadest sense of the word not just the narrow sense of an analog knob on the front of a pre-amp). If you apply whatever room/speaker adjustment to the signal whilst still in the digital domain, and you do it with finesse, then that is no different to the pro boxes that Oval pointed out or indeed the way that Stevenvalve remasters his CDs before playing them.

I mentioned RIAA to point out to some that the vinyl analog signal is also highly manipulated, maybe even more-so than digital forms.

--------------

Also a bit of philosophical nonsense ... I find it interesting how many threads we see where poster says DAC model A sounds so much better than model G, the mids are richer and the bass is tighter and blah blah blah. And other threads where amplifier K goes much better with speakers B because the speakers are too bright - aka synergy. Or cartridge L really caused the mids to open up...... I suggest that these comments/component swapping come from a desire to seek out the best tonal balance for that person/system and are nothing more than abstract tone controls. Anyway just my musings.

Cheers

Left wanting what?

Perhaps you're talking about the parallel universe called audiophile land where the laws of physics are a riddle wrapped up in an enigma!?!?! :)

Decent audio reproduction is what I'm talking about.

The "parallel universe called audiophile land" doesn't exist, It's a concept you have put forward... only :)