Best AV Receiver for <$3000

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dumb question re the onkyo 5009... is there any point getting an AVR that does 4k upscaling if the projector already does it? (i am looking at getting one of the new JVC 4k projectors some time next year :rolleyes:

No, if you want top notch video processing go for a dedicated unit like Lumagen Radian Mini 3D or their XE/XS video processor. Just like DAC in two channel music there is more to video processing than just the chip, Yamaha AVRs use dvdo chipset for their video processing but the result you get from Yamaha AVRs are not as good as DVDO video processors.

Another vote for Emotiva. I have UMC1 their processor which was on special for $500 - not sure if that deal is still going. Killer value. Instead of a receiver at this price I'd also go XPA5. And I might have done that but I can't use that much power with active 103/109 db horns! 1w clears the room, 10w shatters windows. 100w brings the police to the door, not because the neighbours complained, but because they heard me 10km away!

Are u talking about the new jvc dla x70r and x90r? I thought it did? Maybe I was mistaken.

All the new jvc projectors are not native 4K projectors. However one of the major improvement from these projectors is all of them can now do anamorphic stretch without the lens in both 2D and 3D mode.

All the new jvc projectors are not native 4K projectors. However one of the major improvement from these projectors is all of them can now do anamorphic stretch without the lens in both 2D and 3D mode.

Errr where did you get that?

There is a lens memory which allows you to have settings stored for say 16:9 and 21:9 but not "anamorphic stretch".

You still need a lens for anamorphic stretch, same as with the 40/50/60 but it was limited to 2D with last year's models, and this years' adds it for 3D.

Errr where did you get that?

There is a lens memory which allows you to have settings stored for say 16:9 and 21:9 but not "anamorphic stretch".

You still need a lens for anamorphic stretch, same as with the 40/50/60 but it was limited to 2D with last year's models, and this years' adds it for 3D.

No, you don't. Check the review on AVS.

The DLA-RS45 is supplied with terminals for HDMI, Trigger, Remote Control and LAN. A built-in web server provides remote control functions via any personal computer (or hand held device) on the local area network. RS-232C allows for control by leading commercial external controllers. A trigger terminal is provided that signals an optional anamorphic Lens to stretch the screen to a 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

From the horses mouth.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/tech_desc.jsp?model_id=MDL102125&feature_id=02

The DLA-RS45 is supplied with terminals for HDMI, Trigger, Remote Control and LAN. A built-in web server provides remote control functions via any personal computer (or hand held device) on the local area network. RS-232C allows for control by leading commercial external controllers. A trigger terminal is provided that signals an optional anamorphic Lens to stretch the screen to a 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

From the horses mouth.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/tech_desc.jsp?model_id=MDL102125&feature_id=02

From the horse mouth go to the section where it says lens memory.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had 3 Onkyo receivers and rate them all. I've had 1 Pioneer receiver and disliked it intensely, cluttered interface and poor sound quality when compared to the Onk in my personal experience.

Again, IMO, I wouldn't spend anywhere near that on a receiver, $1-500 will get you a great receiver (or less). As long as it has pre outs, spend the extra on a 2/3 way amp to drive the fronts and combine the 2, better quality result in the finish for less outlay IMHO.

I would recommend auditioning the anthem mrx receivers. Not high on features (arguably not required anyway) but with ARC it's definitely worth listening to.

If you go the mrx300 you'll have more to spend on power amplification.

I have recently ordered the mrx300 with a mca50 for my home theater.

Tim

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-34.930566,138.600054

Hi All,

As I coulnd't get my hands on a SR or AV7005 from Marantz I've just bought a SR6006 + an Emotiva XPA-5 so I'll let you know how it goes.

I did listen to the Anthem @ both Vaf & Challenge HiFi in Adelaide & found it a bit thin. We did a straight comparison last week between an older Marantz (SR6004) Vs an MX500 & the Marantz, via it's pure direct setting was much clearer & had better bass. I did ask whether the Anthem has been through it's ARC & I'm not 100% sure it had so it maybe had some more to give but I thought it was a fairt distance behind - just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Cheers

Matt

Hi All,

As I coulnd't get my hands on a SR or AV7005 from Marantz I've just bought a SR6006 + an Emotiva XPA-5 so I'll let you know how it goes.

I think you'll be pretty happy with that combo. Before I went for the Emotiva UMC-1 as a processor, I was running a Marantz SR-4200 with external power amps, and it was very good (not quite as good as with the UMC-1, but a noticeable step up from the onboard amps of the Marantz)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Personally, in my opinion, I if you are spending alot of money for a reciever, you would be better off going fro a preamp/power amp separate. Whether you want to go the route of the traditional Class AB power amp, or these newer Class D power amps is something to consider. As for a processor, maybe wait to see what the new Emotiva gear will be like. I was contemplating on gettign the UMC1, but I think I will wait to see what their new product line will be.

Before I went for the Emotiva UMC-1 as a processor, I was running a Marantz SR-4200 with external power amps, and it was very good (not quite as good as with the UMC-1, but a noticeable step up from the onboard amps of the Marantz)

I guess I can presume having a UMC1 as a processor will then be a big step up for me since I am currently using my Yamaha 663 as a processor :thumb: