US audio quality power points.

6 minutes ago, Yamaha_man said:

Any idea where to buy??

Shirley you can't be serious, YM!!??  :ohmy:

(Given they would be illegal here - and a licenced electrician would not be allowed to install them.)

Andy

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, metal beat said:

I have these in my old stereo room, now tv room.

Worked faultlessly and installed by an electrician.  He said they were of lot better quality than any Aussie power point he had ever seen.

I am truly surprised, Shane.  :ohmy:

(But then ... you do live in Sydney.  :lol: )

Andy

Just now, andyr said:

I am truly surprised, Shane.  :ohmy:

(But then ... you do live in Sydney.  :lol: )

Andy

Surprised about what Andy?

That I installed a quality power socket or got an electrician to do it.

Just because it does not the bs corrupt Australian standard sticker does not make it unsafe.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, metal beat said:

I have these in my old stereo room, now tv room.

Worked faultlessly and installed by an electrician.  He said they were of lot better quality than any Aussie power point he had ever seen.

https://www.psaudio.com/products/powerport-classic/

Do they come with a cover or is that it?

2 minutes ago, Yamaha_man said:

Do they come with a cover or is that it?

Joe,  they both have covers but can't remember if they came with them or the electrician just put 2 covers on.   Its been prolly 15 years now.

Can't even look at them now to check, the old amp sockets are behind the 75 inch tv and the front end sockets behind the turtle tank 🙂

Regardless,  electricians have plenty of covers.

• Haha 1

Surprised about what Andy?

That I installed a quality power socket or got an electrician to do it.

That an electrician actually did it!  :)

Just because it does not (have) the bs corrupt Australian standard sticker does not make it unsafe.

Totes agree, Shane that:

a. the Oz "accreditation" process is corrupted, and

b. as US 110v circuits carry twice the current which our 240v circuits carry ... they are not intrinsically 'unsafe' in Oz.  :thumb:

Andy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andyr said:

...b. as US 110v circuits carry twice the current which our 240v circuits carry ... they are not intrinsically 'unsafe' in Oz.  :thumb:

This doesn't make sense to me.  Doesn't the fact that the US plugs are designed to carry half the voltage as Aust make them potentially unsafe here?  

7 hours ago, audiofeline said:

This doesn't make sense to me.  Doesn't the fact that the US plugs are designed to carry half the voltage as Aust make them potentially unsafe here?  

That's what the people who write our standards would have you believe, af.  :lol:

If our mains voltage was, say, 1000v ... there might be an argument about voltage safety, for US plugs & sockets.  But the difference between 240v and 110v is too small to matter, IMO.  Much more important to me, is that the US stuff is engineered to carry higher currents than Australian gear.

Andy

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear... 

Big difference between voltage insulation characteristics and current carrying capacity.. 

One will kill you, the other will burn your house down. 

A US power point might design to carry double the current, but it also could be designed to only have half the voltage insulation value.. 

Sure, overseas products might be of a higher rating than the Australian standard, they also could be lower standard as well and deadly. 

Until they are tested and confirmed to be to the  Australian Standard, you simply don't know. (unless you have the knowledge to know, but you wouldn't be asking on forums like these if you did) 

If you want to use a US power outlet in Australia, get the spec sheet, give that to your electrician, get them to clarify it with AS3000 whether it can be used. 

If it can be used, then buy it, have you electrician install it as to AS3000 and have them supply you the relative safety certificates. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hytram said:

Oh dear... 

Big difference between voltage insulation characteristics and current carrying capacity.. 

One will kill you, the other will burn your house down. 

A US power point might design to carry double the current, but it also could be designed to only have half the voltage insulation value.. 

Sure, overseas products might be of a higher rating than the Australian standard, they also could be lower standard as well and deadly. 

Until they are tested and confirmed to be to the  Australian Standard, you simply don't know. (unless you have the knowledge to know, but you wouldn't be asking on forums like these if you did) 

If you want to use a US power outlet in Australia, get the spec sheet, give that to your electrician, get them to clarify it with AS3000 whether it can be used. 

If it can be used, then buy it, have you electrician install it as to AS3000 and have them supply you the relative safety certificates. 

Well said! 

• Like 1