Jbl 4320

I recently picked up some very dusty 4320s from a local gentleman. On a trip to Japan 2 years ago I had a chance to hear some giant jbls in a cafe and a couple of record stores so I was keen to see what they would be like in my little lounge room. 

Safe to say I wasn't prepared for how big they are! The bass is nice and snappy, not as deep as I would have thought. Maybe lacking a little up high? You can see from the picks the state they are in. Maybe a cross over refurb is on the cards for the future. 

IMG_20210619_102016.jpg

IMG_20210619_102157.jpg

IMG_20210612_180450.jpg

IMG_20210613_164209.jpg

• Like 5

Nice find, and definitely not too large! See below for reassurance ;) > 

image.thumb.jpg.fff0cc214cfe1d7503869053c83ab03c.jpg

Will be interesting to hear your thoughts on them and any return process you decide to do. Maybe some grilles? 

Edit: apologies, couldn’t make the pic any smaller, don’t want to hijack your thread..

Edited by crtexcnndrm99
  • Like 2

Get a 2235, 2312 horn, add a 2405 and build the Nelson Pass L300 crossover. You'll be a happy camper.

Otherwise keep them original and enjoy them for what they are

Edited by kelossus
  • Like 1

I have the diffusors, haven't tried them yet. They came with giant grills, well frames made of pine just need fabric. 

Ill have to check out the nelson pass cross overs. Re the size my wife definitely made anfce when she saw them. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Nice find, and definitely not too large! See below for reassurance ;) > 

image.thumb.jpg.fff0cc214cfe1d7503869053c83ab03c.jpg

Will be interesting to hear your thoughts on them and any return process you decide to do. Maybe some grilles? 

Edit: apologies, couldn’t make the pic any smaller, don’t want to hijack your thread..

I'll show my wife the pics of your speakers with a 'at least they arnt that big'.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty good, I have tried them with tubes and with an nad. So far my wife has forgotten how ugly they are and I haven't had to move them out of the lounge yet. I compared them to my underamplified and modified gale 401s and some le14a ewaves and I definitely like a lot about them. There is something about those gales though. 

I would love to change the speaker connects but I'm not sure how to get into the crossover it seems to be riveted shut. I also would like to put new stuffing in them as the original insulation or whatever it is is very compressed and dusty and I worry it's blowing carcinogenic fibres into the room. Would rockwool work? 

I've also been looking at the 2450 horn replacement s available. 

19 hours ago, Iron_monkey said:

Thats a tiny horn paired with a 15" woofer - polar response wouldn't match.  How does that work I wonder...

I think they cross at 800hz? Someone probably isn't playing at their best around there. They may be a bit mid forward perhaps, maybe it's my room as well which is kinda small. 

6 minutes ago, Austy said:

Pretty good, I have tried them with tubes and with an nad. So far my wife has forgotten how ugly they are and I haven't had to move them out of the lounge yet. I compared them to my underamplified and modified gale 401s and some le14a ewaves and I definitely like a lot about them. There is something about those gales though. 

I would love to change the speaker connects but I'm not sure how to get into the crossover it seems to be riveted shut. I also would like to put new stuffing in them as the original insulation or whatever it is is very compressed and dusty and I worry it's blowing carcinogenic fibres into the room. Would rockwool work? 

I've also been looking at the 2450 horn replacement s available. 

The internal damping is fibreglass so not carcinogenic. The 2450 is a 2" driver and will not fit on the 2307 horn. It's also about 3 times bigger than the 2420.

4 minutes ago, Austy said:

I think they cross at 800hz? Someone probably isn't playing at their best around there. They may be a bit mid forward perhaps, maybe it's my room as well which is kinda small. 

The 4320 uses the short 2307 horn and playing down 800hz is too much of an ask for it. The 2312 is what you want and I think it will fit in your box, would wanna double check though.

1 hour ago, kelossus said:

The internal damping is fibreglass so not carcinogenic. The 2450 is a 2" driver and will not fit on the 2307 horn. It's also about 3 times bigger than the 2420.

The 4320 uses the short 2307 horn and playing down 800hz is too much of an ask for it. The 2312 is what you want and I think it will fit in your box, would wanna double check though.

Oops I was thinking of the 2405 slot tweeter addition, I think beyma? Make something to similar specs? I'll look up the 2312.