If you could only listen to one artist..

22 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

Listen to Bob D and Van M. You will go so much quicker😃

Nah . They are fine.

The favourite thing played in terminal oncology wards where there is no hope except for hospice style care is Mrs Mills.  After a few hours they pass away,either eager to move on to avoid her or just to submit to the inevitable, where the music is worse than the suffering.

Edited by rantan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JukKluk2 said:

I'd be phoning Beyond Blue and/or Lifeline if I did that much listening to Bob.

Bowies last album would send you there, followed by Springsteens Nebraska.

1 hour ago, rantan said:

Nah . They are fine.

The favourite thing played in terminal oncology wards where there is no hope except for hospice style care is Mrs Mills.  After a few hours they pass away,either eager to move on to avoid her or just to submit to the inevitable, where the music is worse than the suffering.

@rantan

I need to quote this in another thread so check out the link when it's posted.

Classic line amigo!

• Haha 1

I'd be phoning Beyond Blue and/or Lifeline if I did that much listening to Bob.

Actually, no, this much Bobness is fine. As the man with a suitcase of Bob boots said:  "I just played them in the background, and then suddenly something would leap out with sheer brilliance. Maybe just one track in a show, or one outtake, but simply brilliant. So it was easy to listen to the whole suitcase of CDs."

Currently listening to "Ballad of a Thin Man" London, 1966.

• Like 1

Bill Frisell

the amount and diversity of stuff he’s been involved with in addition to his vast body of solo work would keep me going for a good long while. 

would still get bored eventually, though. I’m almost 44 so I’ve still got several weeks to live, at least 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, RankStranger said:

I’m almost 44 so I’ve still got several weeks to live, at least 

I've been saying that for the past 22 years and 355 days. Once you realise that there's more behind you than in front of you it all becomes academic.

• Like 1

On 19/06/2021 at 6:57 AM, JukKluk2 said:

someone like Leonard Bernstein or Herbert von Karajan, or some other conductor who has a vast and varied body of work.

Well said.

Or Keith Jarrett

Or even Ken Vandermark who at the age of 45 had released more than 120 albums, led 36 different bands of his own (each one for a different project) and is still producing at least half a dozen albums every year. But you have to have some decades of listening to jazz before you even warm up to him.

• Like 2

Great thread question and a  brilliant set of responses👏👏

I suspect one can't really listen to a single artist on heavy rotation, to the exclusion of all other music, for more than a few months without going mad.  I think one's best hope is an artist that crosses as many different genres/styles as possible. But of course, nobody crosses 'em all, which I would require for eternity😀

• Like 1

Steven Wilson, when you look at all the remastering he has done of other bands, Porcupine Tree, No-Man, solo albums and colaborations, his range and styles of music

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tripitaka said:

Great thread question and a  brilliant set of responses👏👏

I suspect one can't really listen to a single artist on heavy rotation, to the exclusion of all other music, for more than a few months without going mad.  I think one's best hope is an artist that crosses as many different genres/styles as possible. But of course, nobody crosses 'em all, which I would require for eternity😀

Pink Floyd got played to death when I was in my teens, I avoided it for 20 years after!

I can listen to it again these days :)

• Like 2

Despite that I listen more to St Germain and Massive Attack these last few years, I would still choose Pink Floyd.

Pink Floyd has a huge discography spanning decades and varieties of music and instruments and vocals, significant video catalogue and cartoon/picture artwork.  That'd keep me going, assuming I could afford it all!