Vintage 3 way speakers

Hi all, all my current speakers , 700 mission, Sound Dynamics 100kIIs and mis matched BW Dm4s  are all 2 way speaks ( yes the dm4s have 2 tweeters) 

My thoughts are, especially after research online, is that 3 way speakers are , on the whole going to sound better, give a fuller, more detailed soundstage.  

In saying that what do the members  here think are good 2nd hand 3 way speakers, that would be available in Australia? Not wanting to spend more than $500 , also not too big either, if I can, probably after ones with paper cones  and silk tweeter and maybe  British or Euro over Japanese , although in saying that Im open to advice.. after all its all about the sound!  cheers

There’s quite a few that will likely give the result you seek like Krix Monitor 250, Monitor Audio MA1, Acoustic Energy AE109, B&W DM6, Spendor BC1, IMF transmission line models etc.

There are also better two way designs in the lower end price range perhaps another $100-200 more that are more resolving in the midrange than what you have tried like Whatmough 202, Proac Studio 1, Celestion Ditton, Lin Kan, Dynaudio, Sonus Faber Minima, Apogee Minor, Mission 750 etc.

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 1

Thanks for all those options, I have fixed my 30 yr old Sound Dynamics ( which were pretty expensive in when new)  they sound pretty good, brighter than my mis matched BW Dm4s , although the BWs have a nice subtle natural too, possibly more detailed.   I know a guy who sells hi fi , I might enquire what 3 ways he has  bring one of mine along do a sound comparison. 

The vintage Celestion 3 ways like the Ditton 33 or Ditton 331 or 442 sound very nice and are pretty easy to drive.You might even find some Ditton 551s which use a very good dome midrange and which sound pretty special.

Or you could save up and and get some refurbished Gale 401s which leave most modern speakers  for dead but need a hefty amp to sound their best.

The problem with vintage is you can’t just go to the store and purchase once deciding on a particular model. Need to be educated on a few models and take a punt on what comes up.

Hard to find people that will let go of fully functioning vintage speakers for $500 even though that’s all they are worth. There are great buys on fatigued (not abused) vintage speakers that need a little TLC, caps and surrounds are relatively easy and cheap to fix. 

I’ve had Ditton 33’s, they were good until you hear 44’s better tweeter and fuller bottom end

IMO your DM4’s are better than the 33’s if you found that woofer

I’d ear mark AR2ax’s - shyte all over the 33’s, not as good highs as the DM4’s but overall a better/different listen. Their bass is magic, the smoothness between bass and mids can come across too warm for some but with the right amp they sing. They like a lot of juice even at low volume, I listened to them today in a 500sqm workshop and they eat up the space loud and clear as they have done for the last 6 month. They are only worth $500 fully reconditioned but hard to find ready to go, plenty around that need work.        

thanks Powerglider, 

yeah those  AR5's are bit out of my range, plus Im in NSW so have to factor in shipping ( or even if seller will ship , some only pick up only ) 

Im pretty happy with my mis matched BW Dm4s , so far haven't found a replacement set of woofers , maybe one day!  I also have re foamed my 2 way 30yr old Canadian bookshelf speakers ( Sound Dynamics 100kmIIs ) they do sound a bit different to Dm4s , less subtle, brighter ( maybe more a 80s Rock n roll sound ?  I  suspect the BWs have a tad more detail. I could live with either at this stage. 

I saw a pair of Richard Allan 3 ways on Ebay or such under $600, but there again in Vic , plus  whatever else I may invest in, I'd want a test listen if possible .

anyway thanks for your interest!

On 13/06/2021 at 4:40 PM, sansuiuser said:

My thoughts are, especially after research online, is that 3 way speakers are , on the whole going to sound better, give a fuller, more detailed soundstage.  

IMO three-ways come into their own when they have a huge cabinet with large diameter woofer(s) to give powerful deep bass and excellent  midrange quality (where our ears are especially sensitive), because the mid driver isn’t also doing the deep bass, as it would be in a two-way.

In reality, two-ways can sound fantastic (and one-ways for that matter) proving speaker designers to be rather brainier than I am 😀

Anyway you’ve got some great suggestions for speakers to check out. I’d just recommend listening to whatever seems interesting in your price range.

BTW two-ways that use two mid-bass drivers and a single tweeter (sometimes called 2.5 way speakers) in a floor standing cab can be a good value all rounder IME, such as various Dalis. 

• Like 1