Help me out with headphones

1 hour ago, twofires said:

Any okay ones with a price tag not totally disproportionate to the 6XX cost?

I over estimated, according to Google maps - more like 2hrs 10. I'm on the northern end of Bendigo.

Ahh thought you may have been out my way - Horsham. You could have tried my Grado's...

• Like 1

Just now, blakey72 said:

Ahh thought you may have been out my way - Horsham. You could have tried my Grado's...

I appreciate the thought all the same. I'm sure I'll get to Grado's. Like a lot of us, I'm driven by FOMO as much as anything else. 

1 minute ago, twofires said:

I appreciate the thought all the same. I'm sure I'll get to Grado's. Like a lot of us, I'm driven by FOMO as much as anything else. 

I find Grado's really good for fast metal. They seem to keep pace better than some other cans I've had. They seem to be good all round headphones. I've only got cheap ones now (which are still very good) but I did have Alessandro MS Pro's and they were excellent!

http://alessandro-products.com/headphones-2/

You could always email Grado and ask if they could make a pair for you without the leather. I'd be looking at the RS2e's ;)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/huge-comparison-of-almost-all-grado-headphones-post-your-own-comparisons-here-thanks-giogio.808325/

22 hours ago, blakey72 said:

You could always email Grado and ask if they could make a pair for you without the leather. I'd be looking at the RS2e's ;)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/huge-comparison-of-almost-all-grado-headphones-post-your-own-comparisons-here-thanks-giogio.808325/

I've read on another forum they are receptive to vegan builds for some of the higher end models. I'd probably start with the top model in a vinyl headband first, the SR225x.

5 minutes ago, Nada said:

Anyone compared the Darkvoice 336se to the Bottlehead crack?

A few thousand have given their thoughts on that yes.

The Darkvoice is a cheaper made Crack essentially. Use same tubes. Crack just uses better components. Crack sounds better. Crack is more expensive.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Nada said:

Anyone compared the Darkvoice 336se to the Bottlehead crack?

Yep as @Bengineer as said. BH Crack esp with Speeball upgrade has a better detail and more "energetic" than DV.

DV sounds hollow in comparison.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, nowallet said:

@twofires following your hunt here, did you end up buying anything? :)

So far I've bought a set of HD600s from the classifieds, but haven't loved them on the Topping A90 I've been using. I'm still contemplating buying a Bottlehead Crack Kit and teaching myself how to solder to see if an OTL tube amp improves my opinion of the Sennheisers, and I also have some planar magnetic headphones in the post. More on those when they arrive. I have a separate thread in the headphone section I update as I go, if it's of interest. 😊