9.2.4 Dolby Atmos Home Theatre - David VS Goliath

2 hours ago, muriwai said:

I remember this discussion way back from DTV days and it was overall decided not a good idea 

Comb to think of it (pun intended lol) I do remember reading something back in the DTV days. As they say not all ideas are good ideas.

2 hours ago, RankStranger said:

worth the wait :)

well done 👍 

Oh wow thanks heaps I really appreciate the comments. I don't have a lot of interests and wanted to dedicate my time to something that I can really express myself and what I enjoy. 

I must admit lately its been 95% gaming on it and 5% youtube videos on gaming LOL. Luckily there are some dolby atmos supported titles (otherwise they would be collecting dust).

3 minutes ago, EMOTIVA_HT said:

Comb to think of it (pun intended lol) I do remember reading something back in the DTV days. As they say not all ideas are good ideas.

Oh wow thanks heaps I really appreciate the comments. I don't have a lot of interests and wanted to dedicate my time to something that I can really express myself and what I enjoy. 

I must admit lately its been 95% gaming on it and 5% youtube videos on gaming LOL. Luckily there are some dolby atmos supported titles (otherwise they would be collecting dust).

mate, if you only ever play games and watch YouTube but you enjoy your ar$e off doing it, then it’s a success 👍 

• Like 1

On 11/06/2021 at 1:05 PM, RankStranger said:

mate, if you only ever play games and watch YouTube but you enjoy your ar$e off doing it, then it’s a success 👍 

Thanks heaps thats really nice of you to say :). I did try out godzilla vs kong for the first time in the theatre and I really gotta feel the power behind the PC2000 PRO pair. I've always dream't of owning a pair of PC4000 but only because of how amazing they look (long cylinder enclosures but don't take up much room horizontally.

I did have a new addition to the theatre, I bought a 20 way 10 amp power board. At the moment I could only mount it to the side rail just due to some of the hardware sticking out of the back of the server rack. Next stage will be to buy right angle .5m IEC cables to neaten everything up.

Not to mention a lot of cable management haha. 

received_1468805893480111.jpeg

received_925250644998641.jpeg

received_308119930967574.jpeg

Edited by EMOTIVA_HT
  • Like 1

2 cents from a simpleton...  do some research on your dream svs 4000 series and you will soon realise the 3000 series is the better value and very little behind, if so at some frequencies, than the 4000 model. basically they made the 3000 series too good.

2 front centres.. i never tell people what to buy but as you have multiple speakers all the same why not take some time before looking to buy a centre speakers and experiment with 2 centres.

as suggested one above and one below, both aimed at your seating position. also try the 2 laying horizontal, tweeter to tweeter at different spacing from each other, under the screen aimed at your seated position.

i actually ran 2x klipsch rb-35's that way and imo in my room they were great, just as good as any centre i have had before or since. wish i still had them actually.

dont discard things unless you actually try it.. one mans rubbish is another mans treasure.

Edited by hopefullguy

4 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

2 cents from a simpleton...  do some research on your dream svs 4000 series and you will soon realise the 3000 series is the better value and very little behind, if so at some frequencies, than the 4000 model. basically they made the 3000 series too good.

2 front centres.. i never tell people what to buy but as you have multiple speakers all the same why not take some time before looking to buy a centre speakers and experiment with 2 centres.

as suggested one above and one below, both aimed at your seating position. also try the 2 laying horizontal, tweeter to tweeter at different spacing from each other, under the screen aimed at your seated position.

i actually ran 2x klipsch rb-35's that way and imo in my room they were great, just as good as any centre i have had before or since. wish i still had them actually.

dont discard things unless you actually try it.. one mans rubbish is another mans treasure.

Great advice there hopefullguy, I really appreciate it.
I've been dreaming that there would be a PC3000 as I absolutely love the cylinder subwoofers haha. If they made a gloss white 3000 series subwoofer i'd be all over it.

With regards to the 2 front centres, I do actually have a spare channel and spare svs prime speaker. I'd love to test it (and maybe even do some measurements with 1 and 2). In the end nothing would be lost and I get to test out something new.

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, niterida said:

Don't bother with BK or MA - just build a HoverBOSS platform : https://www.avsforum.com/threads/the-tactile-response-thread-for-bass.3081780/

Thats a great idea. The main idea behind getting the crowsons would be to have the actual physical volume down and still get into the 1hz-25hz so I could still watch at night and still have tactile feel. I have a feeling the hoverboss platform in my situation would still produce quite a lot of volume.

The PC2000 Pro pair definitely put down some good bass up to 17hz

1 hour ago, muriwai said:

I have the Crowsons

You won’t regret purchasing them👍

Oh thats wicked. Mind sharing your crowson configuration? just trying to figure out how they might vary when comparing against other tactile solutions? I believe you technically feel everything through the seat as every motion/movement by the tactile is being transmitted to the seat (like your finger on a dust cone on a subwoofer)

Have 4x shakers and one amp(Crowson)

the shakers are under rear legs of a row of 3 chairs and the rubber bit goes under front leg

He he also have 2 x Pc13 svs cylinder subs and 4 x Seaton subs crammed in the room

Shakes neighbours house comfortably 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, muriwai said:

Have 4x shakers and one amp(Crowson)

the shakers are under rear legs of a row of 3 chairs and the rubber bit goes under front leg

He he also have 2 x Pc13 svs cylinder subs and 4 x Seaton subs crammed in the room

Shakes neighbours house comfortably 😉

Wow... Just WOW hahahaha. Thats absolutely insane. I'm a huge fan. I've got a spot in my heart for dual Cylinder subs (let alone SVS haha). 

On 01/07/2021 at 2:35 PM, EMOTIVA_HT said:

I've been very much pondering the thoughts of going Shadow-8 Dual Motion Actuator  instead of the Q10B Tactile Transducer.

I think it would definitely add an extra dimension.

Well 1 week from posting this, i've put an order for the Crowson Motion System 2 which included the 2x Crowson Tactile Actuators and the Crowson D501 amplifier.

Yikes this is getting expensive LOL

• Like 2

15 hours ago, STROP said:

Goodness me... you haven't changed your centre speaker yet.

Hahaha. Yeah i'm doing everything but that haha. My fingers are crossed that SVS MIGHT bring out a special edition Gloss white version. The other option I was thinking about was rotating the centre speaker upright like the others. 

I still play a lot of games at the moment, I think the matching speakers all around might be good for that but movies not so much with dialogue i'd guess haha.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a little change of mind, mainly due to budget but I moved from Crowsons option and got the following:

Dayton Audio APA1200DSP 1150w Class D Amp

Buttkicker LFE

I don't watch a lot of movies but when I do I am always looking for a 4D style impact and while the Earthquake Q10B did do a good job, I wanted to experience the Buttkicker LFE with adaquete power.

The reason I also went for the Dayton Audio APA1200DSP is that it matches very closely to my Emotiva amps, as well as providing DSP adjustability.

I was thinking about the behringer amps which I am sure are better value for money, but visually they don't really appeal to me and didn't want to have to open the amp to change the fans to quieten it down. Not to mention the added DSP, remote trigger and low/high pass filters that the APA1200DSP had.

Its a very nice unit:
1816_1_.jpg

I also sold my 4x Emotiva A-800 amplifiers (4x100W at 8 ohms each, 1600w at 8 ohms in total) and bought a pair of Emotiva A7 amps (7x90w at 8 ohms each).

It will run my 9.#.4 speakers perfectly with a spare channel and removes some of the complexity having 2 less amps running all the time.

The Emotiva A7 amps are very streamlined and has an automatic remote trigger on.

image.thumb.png.acc1aaf2ba8a65c47d82caacfb0e439a.png

Guest niterida
On 01/07/2021 at 2:30 PM, EMOTIVA_HT said:

I have a feeling the hoverboss platform in my situation would still produce quite a lot of volume.

If you build it open enough it will be open baffle and not add a lot of SPL.

Also they are much more natural effect than MA or BK and deliver different feelings at different frequencies.

Everyone who has one says they are far superior to MA/BK. But HoverBoss WITH MA/BK is even better apparently.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been really keen for an upgrade somewhere along the line. I am super happy with the SVS Prime satellites (having them matching throughout the room does wonders) and I am crossing them over at 80hz anyway so they aren't getting much bass at all going to them.

I had thoughts about selling the PC2000 Pro pair, and getting a single PC4000, but i'm worried the temptation to get another (almost 8k in total) might be a bit too much haha.

The other thought was another Buttkicker LFE, but one has been great and more than enough ommph.

hmm just looked at the pc2000 and they dont have a base built in like my older 20-39pc+... is that right?

if so they really should be placed on a hard surface such as solid wood, stone paver etc down firing subs and carpet dont always mix well.

please do your research before considering the 4000 series, as mentioned in a past post the 3000 series $ for $ but if wanting the "box" style 2nd hand has 2 for sale in S.A.

23 minutes ago, hopefullguy said:

hmm just looked at the pc2000 and they dont have a base built in like my older 20-39pc+... is that right?

if so they really should be placed on a hard surface such as solid wood, stone paver etc down firing subs and carpet dont always mix well.

please do your research before considering the 4000 series, as mentioned in a past post the 3000 series $ for $ but if wanting the "box" style 2nd hand has 2 for sale in S.A.

THanks very much for that. Yeah seems like being on a hard surface might be in order. Otherwise I think the carpet might muffle it too much. Thanks for the suggestion re 4000 series. I do wish they brought out a PC3000 subwoofer. Best of both worlds.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently picked up a new media centre/gaming pc case.

This one is the Silverstone Grandia GD08 case. I believe it should match in nicely with the Emotiva brushed aluminium finish. And its also rack mountable.

My hopes is that I can adapt a set of Emotiva Rack mounts to it so it will look as similar as possible. The other thing was possibly removing the silverstone logo somehow but I really don't want to use any chemicals at all (I heard GooGone would work).

1339 - SilverStone Grandia GD08 HTPC Case Video Review - YouTube

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I currently run 2x Emotiva A-7 7 Channel power amps and 1x Emotiva XMC-2 (instead of the 4xA-800 amps) I have been debating the idea of maybe downgrading my Emotiva XMC-2 to the new Emotiva MC-1 as I am only using 9.1.4 channels and could use the difference between the 2 units for something else. The other option was to maybe sell 1x of the Emotiva A-7, and grab 2x Emotiva A-4 (which will mean in total 15 channels) and can add 2 extra height speakers for a 9.2.6 setup. Just wondering if either choices (or neither) would be good idea?

Edited by EMOTIVA_HT