Elektra reference 300 and Aksa Maya200

21 hours ago, buddyev said:

I doubt very much the exposure is in same league as the Elektra or the Maya.

If you can get the Pnyx and the HD 300 for $5k I would grab them and not think about amplification again for a long time. Even new these are a bargain compared to imported gear.

For what it's worth, I bought Russ's Elektra power amp. It was a massive improvement in bass response over my previous Quad power amp.

On 05/06/2021 at 10:51 PM, andyr said:

Re. the spkrs - why don't you ask the mfrs to show you a graph of their impedance responses.

You might be wondering how can a ss amp have 'tube-like qualities'?  What this refers to is how the designer tweaks the circuit so that it delivers a high 2nd harmonic ('H2') - relative to higher order harmonics.  Hugh is a past master at this.

Moreover, he makes sure the 'harmonic profile' of his amps is monotonically decreasing - so each successive higher harmonic is lower than the previous one.

The Maya will certainly give you 'fast, heavy drums'; and because of the fact that odd harmonics are low ... will not give you 'glare' or harshness.

Andy

Hey Andy. What preamp do you think will pair well with the Maya? Hugh thinks the Schiit Saga is a good economic option... I was thinking about something a bit nicer perhaps.. definately a tube or hybrid.

11 minutes ago, WFM said:

Hey Andy. What preamp do you think will pair well with the Maya? Hugh thinks the Schiit Saga is a good economic option... I was thinking about something a bit nicer perhaps.. definately a tube or hybrid.

hugh doesnt offer the Aksa swift anymore ? this was commercial version of the GK1 ? a good hybrid pre. long time since heard one, but a good pre will still be a good pre...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, betty boop said:

hugh doesnt offer the Aksa swift anymore ? this was commercial version of the GK1 ? a good hybrid pre. long time since heard one, but a good pre will still be a good pre...

Nah it wasn't viable for him to continue making the pre

I'm going to get the Maya semi assembled quote from Hugh "Partly assembled:  $3400 plus GST with all wiring and two 300VA Tortech toroidal transformers, ready only for you to connect up the mains (which is a UL requirement I do not have nanny permission but it's  only a couple of wires).  For this, some time of course, and warranty only on the modules."

• Like 3

On 06/06/2021 at 10:39 AM, andyr said:

Yes, I meant get hold of the impedance graph for whatever spkrs you are thinking of buying (you mentioned "summoners" and "timberwolves" - I have no idea who makes them).

Andy

Email from Edward at Adelaide speakers.

"Actually, Hugh has one of the 1293PQTL speakers and said he loves them, obviously played on his amps. Maybe the 1293PQTL is a good choice for the Maya 200, being 8 ohms it won't allow the amp to go even higher in power with the 6 ohm load of the 1293SQTL. The 1293PQTL is actually a little more efficient, so not going to loose much.

Anyway, lowest D.C. is 6.8 ohms with the 1293PQTL (8 ohms nominal), and 4.6 ohms with the 1293SQTL (6 ohms nominal). If you prefer the slightly taller 1220mm size of the SQTL model, then for an extra $150 we can build the PQTL model in the taller 1220mm high size too. Thanks."

27 minutes ago, WFM said:

Email from Edward at Adelaide speakers.

"Actually, Hugh has one of the 1293PQTL speakers and said he loves them, obviously played on his amps. Maybe the 1293PQTL is a good choice for the Maya 200, being 8 ohms it won't allow the amp to go even higher in power with the 6 ohm load of the 1293SQTL. The 1293PQTL is actually a little more efficient, so not going to loose much.

Anyway, lowest D.C. is 6.8 ohms with the 1293PQTL (8 ohms nominal), and 4.6 ohms with the 1293SQTL (6 ohms nominal). If you prefer the slightly taller 1220mm size of the SQTL model, then for an extra $150 we can build the PQTL model in the taller 1220mm high size too. Thanks."

If it were me:

• if I wanted the 1293SQTL ... I would ask Hugh to make me a Maya with slightly lower DC rails, to cope with the 4.6 ohms low-point. 
  • but if I wanted the 1293PQTL - then a standard Maya would be fine - as this would be what Hugh uses.
5 hours ago, WFM said:

I disagree with Hugh, there - AFAIAC, the 'Schiit Saga' is aptly named!  xD

A tube pre would be ideal; it's a pity he stopped producing the GK-2/Swift.  So think Elektra 'Pynx' or PrimaLuna.

Andy

Thanks. Hugh has some summoners but thinks the image depth is really lacking. Drivers and cab excellent but crossovers need updating. He is getting some modded to see if it improves the depth of field. Hopefully as they would be a sub 2.5k option.

41 minutes ago, andyr said:

If it were me:

• if I wanted the 1293SQTL ... I would ask Hugh to make me a Maya with slightly lower DC rails, to cope with the 4.6 ohms low-point. 
  • but if I wanted the 1293PQTL - then a standard Maya would be fine - as this would be what Hugh uses.

I disagree with Hugh, there - AFAIAC, the 'Schiit Saga' is aptly named!  xD

A tube pre would be ideal; it's a pity he stopped producing the GK-2/Swift.  So think Elektra 'Pynx' or PrimaLuna.

Andy

Yeah I had that feeling too. The Maya deserves a better pre.

Only thing Maya hasn't got balanced interconnects. Not sure how much of a detriment this will be . I know balanced is supposed to improve SNR and ground noise but whether its a significant flaw compared to the Elektra's balanced capabilities i dont know...  

3 hours ago, WFM said:

Thanks. Hugh has some Summoners but thinks the image depth is really lacking. Drivers and cab excellent but crossovers need updating. He is getting some modded to see if it improves the depth of field. Hopefully as they would be a sub 2.5k option.

Yes, now I remember he told me that when he came over a couple of weeks ago (I just didn't know which model he was talking about).

He was impressed with the soundstage depth, when he came over to listen to the new spkrs I have developed (driven by his Class A design that I had built).

(Sorry, these are way outside your budget.  :( )

Andy

Edited by andyr
My OCD
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, WFM said:

Only thing Maya hasn't got balanced interconnects. Not sure how much of a detriment this will be . I know balanced is supposed to improve SNR and ground noise but whether its a significant flaw compared to the Elektra's balanced capabilities i don't know...  

There is absoloootely no detriment with having (unbalanced) RCA interconnects, in a domestic hifi setup.

Andy

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, WFM said:

Only thing Maya hasn't got balanced interconnects. Not sure how much of a detriment this will be . I know balanced is supposed to improve SNR and ground noise but whether its a significant flaw compared to the Elektra's balanced capabilities i dont know...  

as Andy said, no detriment at all. I discussed this with Arthur Rappos and he recommended i use the RCA rather than the balanced on my Elektra. 

• Like 3

I have the Elektra Reference HD, bought it quite a few years ago, now. Preamp is the Doge 8 Clarity. Speakers are the Aurum Cantus New Grand Supremes.

The speakers are 4ohms but a bugger to drive. The Elektra does a very good job. It also does sound quite tube like. The Elektra replaced the VTL Deluxe 300 monoblocks with EI KT 90 tubes in triode mode. The VTLs were nice but did not drive the Aurum Cantus all that well. 

The Elektra does a much better job of controlling the speakers and still gives us the tube like qualities we desire.

For the price being asked, the pair of pre and power would be a bargain.

Edited by Paul R
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had some time auditioning the Maya . Even with **** welling towers and bluesound no for preamp it sounds amazing. Dynamics are very live and uncompressed with no distortion or weird harmonics. Separation on fast , complex electronic and metal/ rock music is terrific. Grip of low double kick bass is very firm and fast. cymbols and highs are very crisp and sweet with wide presentation. vocals and guitars are full, clear and sweet that can project from quite deep in the field which is a great experience.  Even at high volumes there is no harshness or distortion.Stereo presentation is quite wide and deep. I can hear if the  the bassits is playing on bridge or neck, or if snare roll is played or looped with delay ( decay) . I am very impressed and Hugh is a true gentleman. Before committing  I would like to hear a side by side comparison with a 6k integrated to gauge some perspective as this is the first high class amp I have heard.

I'm really curious what i would hear with good speakers and a preamp as i had the bluesound volume was near full and it was loud.. But with great sound I would like to hear if a good pre could squeeze out some more DB. Very Impressed with the audition. 

• Love 1

59 minutes ago, WFM said:

Had some time auditioning the Maya . Even with **** welling towers and bluesound no for preamp it sounds amazing. Dynamics are very live and uncompressed with no distortion or weird harmonics. Separation on fast , complex electronic and metal/ rock music is terrific. Grip of low double kick bass is very firm and fast. cymbols and highs are very crisp and sweet with wide presentation. vocals and guitars are full, clear and sweet that can project from quite deep in the field which is a great experience.  Even at high volumes there is no harshness or distortion.Stereo presentation is quite wide and deep. I can hear if the  the bassits is playing on bridge or neck, or if snare roll is played or looped with delay ( decay) . I am very impressed and Hugh is a true gentleman. Before committing  I would like to hear a side by side comparison with a 6k integrated to gauge some perspective as this is the first high class amp I have heard.

I'm really curious what i would hear with good speakers and a preamp as i had the bluesound volume was near full and it was loud.. But with great sound I would like to hear if a good pre could squeeze out some more DB. Very Impressed with the audition. 

Yes, it's great-sounding "high-class" amp, Wayen.  :thumb:

Hopefully, you are able to listen to a good integrated - however, I would suggest that a $6K integrated will not have the dynamics, separation and resolution that the Maya has.

If you are wanting source selection ... I can always build you a 3-way RCA source selector to put in front of the Maya.  :)

Andy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andyr said:

Yes, it's great-sounding "high-class" amp, Wayen.  :thumb:

Hopefully, you are able to listen to a good integrated - however, I would suggest that a $6K integrated will not have the dynamics, separation and resolution that the Maya has.

If you are wanting source selection ... I can always build you a 3-way RCA source selector to put in front of the Maya.  :)

Andy

Thanks Andy. I'll just get a good pre to go on top for source selection. Cant wait to hear it up loud with some good drivers. 

On 05/06/2021 at 10:51 PM, andyr said:

Re. the spkrs - why don't you ask the mfrs to show you a graph of their impedance responses.

Good idea ; Ive always wondered how low the impedance drops on my transmission line Timberwolves and how the good damping on my bass drivers helps the great FR extension Edward elicits from them :) PMC transmission line thoughts; 

Transmission line, ported and vented designs are three different concepts on how to load the bass driver in a speaker enclosure. Transmission lines and sealed boxes have a 12dB per octave roll off after the resonant frequency, while a vented box has a 24dB per octave roll off. Ported speaker are the most common as they are cheap to build and easy to design, though the quality of the bass reproduction is questionable in many designs and such a steep roll off can have knock on problems further up the frequency range.

Sealed boxes have a similar roll off to transmission lines, however the efficiency of such systems is lower due to the inward radiating energy not being utilised by the cabinet. Distortion also occurs as the air in the box is compressed and expanded adiabatically as the cone moves in and out, the force required to move the cone changes non linearly with respect to the cone excursion. Both sealed and vented designs require careful absorption to avoid rear radiating sound bouncing off the cabinet walls, and passing through the bass driver causing boxy resonances.

Transmission line by contrast sound very natural because there is no build up of pressure behind the bass cone, with the rear radiating air being forced through an internal labyrinth to reinforce the bottom end of the frequency band. This also means no rear sound is re-radiated through the bass driver. The other advantage is that the air in the transmission line loads the bass driver and lowers its resonant frequency. This allows for the extended low end response and keeps the bass driver well damped, requiring less excursion than sealed or ported speakers to produce the same output

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WFM said:

Thanks Andy. I'll just get a good pre to go on top for source selection. Cant wait to hear it up loud with some good drivers. 

That would be a great solution, Wayen!  :thumb:

@buddyev, is your tube Pynx pre still for sale?

Andy

9 hours ago, buddyev said:

It’s hard to imagine any integrated that’s going to better Hugh’s  amp matched with a good pre. 

Yeah and that's probably true for most seperates under 8k..

11 hours ago, cwt said:

Good idea ; Ive always wondered how low the impedance drops on my transmission line Timberwolves and how the good damping on my bass drivers helps the great FR extension Edward elicits from them :) PMC transmission line thoughts; 

Yeah im still deciding between the timbers and summoners. Summoners look a bit big tho. How are your timbers bass wise? 

Any need for a sub

47 minutes ago, WFM said:

Yeah and that's probably true for most separates under 8k.

I'd suggest $20k!  :ohmy:

46 minutes ago, WFM said:

Yeah im still deciding between the timbers and summoners. Summoners look a bit big tho. How are your timbers bass wise? 

Any need for a sub

Depends on the music you listen to, Wayen.  If you're a 'female voice with guitar' type of person ... subs won't be required.

OTOH, if you like Yello ... or Bach organ music (as I do), then - if done right - subs will add something to your musical enjoyment.

I had big 3-way Maggies for over 20 years.  These have a hearable response down to ~35Hz ... but it wasn't until I added a pair of 15", sealed subs that I realized what I'd been missing out on, all those years.  :(

Andy