Do I have a ground loop, or a Pi with a noisy ground?

Hey all,
I'm trying to diagnose some noise that I hear on my HiFi. I've attached an image of the topology, so I don't need to overly explain everything in words, but the tl:dr is:

1. There is some low level hissing noise coming through my speakers (definitely not 50 or 100Hz hum)
  2. If I disconnect my 4K player, the noise goes. Stepping though the chain ...
  3. If I disconnect the HDMI between 4k player and TV, the noise also goes ...
  4. If I disconnect the HDMI between the TV and Raspberry pi, the noise also goes
  5. If I remove power to the Pi (powered by POE), the noise is gone

So, logically, there is a noisy ground originating on my Pi, that's polluting the rest of my system (my assumption).

But would like to hear your thoughts on this. Most discussions I've come across relating to noisy HDMI on a Pi have all spoken about ground loops. Which is why I've included the image.

I don't beleive there's a ground loop, as when the Pi is taken out of the equation, the system is dead silent.

Possible ground loop.png

Edited by lordvader82

19 minutes ago, andyr said:

If it's not 50/100Hz hum ... it's not a ground loop.

Can you power your Pi with a dedicated PS, rather using PoE?  I'd be suspecting that is the problem.  :(

Andy

Might also be the TV.

Thanks for your replies (and thanks for pointing out my powerpoint skills @bob_m_54!)

Definitely not the TV - as when the pi is disconnected the noise is gone.

I built a linear PSU (a Salas L-Pad) for a PiCorePlayer that's also there (not illustrated), and when I used that supply, the noise was much higher (though the POE hat was still there). Might play around more with how I power that pi.

Just now, lordvader82 said:

Thanks for your replies (and thanks for pointing out my powerpoint skills @bob_m_54!)

Definitely not the TV - as when the pi is disconnected the noise is gone.

I built a linear PSU (a Salas L-Pad) for a PiCorePlayer that's also there (not illustrated), and when I used that supply, the noise was much higher (though the POE hat was still there). Might play around more with how I power that pi.

Sorry mate, but when you said you added a diagram to clarify... it just did my head in...

Just tried it with one of those 5 port usb charger hubs - definitely quieter!

I'll double check when there's less background noise (kids).

Interesting that the linear PSU which also powers another pi (same power board) adds noise to this pi.

Edited by lordvader82

On 25/05/2021 at 8:17 PM, lordvader82 said:

Just tried it with one of those 5 port usb charger hubs - definitely quieter!

I'll double check when there's less background noise (kids).

Interesting that the linear PSU which also powers another pi (same power board) adds noise to this pi.

I suspect your SMPS is not grounded. Most aren't

The SMPS transformer isolates primary and secondary supplies, meaning a ground isn't "theoretically required".  

This can typically help provide isolation/less noise in devices. 

Maybe try powering the PI from one of the TV USB ports? If you have a double USB lead you could parallel USB ports to supply more power to the PI. 

Edited by Grizaudio
  • Like 1