Apple Music Discussion Thread

I am an iPhone user, own an Apple TV & have an Macbook Air on the way, so am in the ecosystem. I used Apple Music for a while (streaming part of the app), compared to Spotify, was not a fan, so have gone back to using Spotify for music streaming. I just find the app to be much better to use, music suggestions & catalog better as well.

I do however use the Apple Music app on my phone, for music transferred over from my HDD collection. 

Apple will need to enable a new BT codec like LDAC to allow for hi-res streaming through headphones, off the phone as well.

From: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/62961-article-apple-music-lossless-high-resolution-and-dolby-atmos-announced/?do=findComment&comment=1133780 

"Apple has confirmed to The Verge that lossless audio is exclusive to Apple Music and thus subscription-only. The company won’t offer music purchases in lossless quality, nor will there be any way to upgrade owned tracks to lossless with the paid iTunes Match service."

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/17/22440090/apple-music-lossless-audio-dolby-atmos-support-audio

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TDX said:

I guess no streamer support Apple Music integrated except Sonos? I don't really want to use AirPlay for critical listening?

i use the blue sound node with apple music... but its not really for any critical listening...

In addition to my post above - Whatever Apple do with the AAC codec & Sony do with their DSEE HX supposed up-scaling of audio quality is damn good to my ears, so am not so bothered with Hi-Res at the minute. 

Obviously everyone will hear things differently & genre of music plays a pretty big part.

Edited by Jovan.s1987

7 minutes ago, betty boop said:

i use the blue sound node with apple music... but its not really for any critical listening...

I didn't know blue sound support apple music integration, this will be quite good already. I checked Auralic, it doesn't support Apple Music streaming.

Just now, TDX said:

I didn't know blue sound support apple music integration, this will be quite good already. I checked Auralic, it doesn't support Apple Music streaming.

It's not really fully integrated but Bluesound devices support Airplay 2 which is apparently bit-perfect.

30 minutes ago, Jovan.s1987 said:

AAC

There's no inherent reason why AAC would provide an audibly different result to "lossless".    Given generous bitrate and careful encoding (which Apple, would not doubt, pay close attention to)

39 minutes ago, TDX said:

as peer chigurh it came with the 2i model...you fire up the apple music app... then select blusound node as device to stream with ... thats it control all from apple music app. as mentioned i only for non critical music listening ...but if move to lossless with apple might expand for me as rest of my collection is that way ...

17 minutes ago, betty boop said:

as peer chigurh it came with the 2i model...you fire up the apple music app... then select blusound node as device to stream with ... thats it control all from apple music app. as mentioned i only for non critical music listening ...but if move to lossless with apple might expand for me as rest of my collection is that way ...

That way is probably just via airplay2 which node2i supports. Let’s see what apple wants to do. 

3 minutes ago, TDX said:

That way is probably just via airplay2 which node2i supports. Let’s see what apple wants to do. 

it does seem to work fine... not sure what else apple wants to do about it. doubt be much else given it does work :) 

34 minutes ago, Jovan.s1987 said:

For anyone that was hopeful of being able to stream Apple Music through wireless headphones, won't be possible... for the moment.

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/05/17/airpods-apple-music-lossless-audio/

Isn't this true for most Bluetooth headphones used with anyones lossless streaming as well.

16 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Isn't this true for most Bluetooth headphones used with anyones lossless streaming as well.

Sony's LDAC codec is the highest I know of, which is some 4 times higher than Apples AAC. Need an Android or Sony device to get LDAC though.

Edited by Jovan.s1987

20 minutes ago, betty boop said:

it does seem to work fine... not sure what else apple wants to do about it. doubt be much else given it does work :) 

I'm hoping they come into the audiophile world and provide some decent equipments (at least a streamer?);) 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TDX said:

I'm hoping they come into the audiophile world and provide some decent equipments (at least a streamer?);) 

haha ... they seem more consumer land than audiophile... but never know i guess :)  they have their appleTV already too... but again thats something different... more AV than audiophile 2ch :) 

Just now wondering, without any foundation, but observing moves whether recent attacks on MQA could have been a ploy by competitors to devalue/destablise Tidal and win market share?🤔

Steve Jobs was always about a user interface that was as intuitive as possible and eschewed integration with other U.I.s because they didn't meet his standards; but Macs could always read other system's files. Apple has lost some of that focus in recent years so we'll have to wait and see.

Apple music has reported 60 million subscribers to Tidal's 4.2 million so it's not going to be a fair fight at all. Of course my martial arts teacher maintained the getting into a fair fight meant your strategy sucked.xD

Edited by GregWormald
  • Like 1

This may answer a few questions regarding Hi Res Audio streaming via Airplay 2 (and 1)

If you're an audio quality nerd there's one difference between the two streams, and it's a numbers thing -- AirPlay/AirPlay 2 are stuck at CD quality (16/44) while Chromecast allows up to 24/96 streams. If squeezing the maximum amount of detail out of your hi-fi system is a priority, this may be a deciding factor.

https://www.cnet.com/news/google-chromecast-vs-apple-airplay-which-is-better-for-streaming-from-your-phone/#:~:text=If you're an audio quality nerd there's one,a priority%2C this may be a deciding factor.

56 minutes ago, betty boop said:

am fine with 16/44 lossless as its just cd rips anyways

Yep, sounds incredible on my system...  :) 

2 hours ago, Soul Superfly said:

I left Tidal and moved to Qobuz, Just received an email offering me HiFi on Tidal for $2 for 2 months, that’s a $1 per month, reads as  desperation to me. 

They've been offering deals like that (and longer, like 4 or 6 months) for a couple of years now.  I've signed up about 3 times, but it's never impressed me enough to stay.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, warweary said:

I wonder how often these hires providing companies will shaft us with fake lossless.  Like MP3's or other lossy formats upconverted to whatever format they sell.

Exactly. It is the genuine hi-res content that really matters. 

Edited by LHC

When I first read the headline I considered making the switch, when it arrives, away from Spotify.

But I then remembered that my main setup outside my phone on the road is powered by Volumio on my R.Pi4 with a Topping E30 and Apple do not support integration for 3rd party apps to control streaming.

My Volumio setup allows me to control Spotify via Spotify Connect so I can pull the highest quality that they offer and it reads my FLAC collection via a NAS.

As exciting as Apple's announcement seemed at first glance I don't think I'll move to their music service.

• Like 1