What have folk got their teeth into right now... crime dramas of the darker nature .... 

I've been on a serious bender with this genre of cop shows :D 

all started with Wallander which i discovered on SBS on demand... the original swedish version....both wife and i were captivated... Hening Markell is a genius...

after this was a bit stuck and discovered Hinterland...wow welsh stunning scenery  and quite thought provoking stories...really enjoyed the feel and pace of this one.

A friend then pointed me to The Killing... and apparently that is what kicked off the whole noir genre... with the character of Sarah Lund.... stunning series ... hooked start to end ! 

Shetland - Watched a part episode ... had to stop... after the depth and dark nature of the scandy crime dramas this was like watching Doc Martin or something :D 

Dead Wind... Finnish crime drama  - quite liked this for the more modern scandinavian production it was. @agelessgoodguy did you suggest this one to me ? 

The Bridge - Watched part of a one episode - didnt get straight into it.. might have to get back to this...

We Got this -  swedish with an american expat, quite comical and stumbling along and quite hilarious and unbelievable at times... but in a fun sort of way... was a nice take out of more series crime dramas

Broadchruch - English... a bit more soppy but followed a little along the cop with issues line and enjoyed this and it pulled at heart strings

Lupin - The french gentleman thief...oh this was good fun..watched series one ... cant wait for series 2 which has been shot ... just awaiting runnings around the world of S1

Luther -     @joz suggested i check this one out ... very enjoyable english dodgy cop drama :D did get a little predictable and also unbelievable at times ... but some good surprises....really wel made show...

Vera - hmm not sure what to make of this ... part watched 3/4 of one episode and just didnt hook me ... a bit all over the place ? maybe need to persist with it ? 

Line of Duty... oh gosh watched all 6 series ! just finished .... great acting and well made.......

so where does this leave me as a nordic noir crime drama tragic...looking for next fix :D 

some still to check out ...

BorderTown

Trapped

The Bridge - think i should revisit ...

and

Marcella....

any other suggestions are alway welcome ... :D

so what have folks caught in this genre ? what are you watching now ... 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, betty boop said:

What have folk got their teeth into right now... crime dramas of the darker nature .... 

all started with Wallander which i discovered on SBS on demand... the original swedish version....both wife and i were captivated... Hening Markell is a genius...

after this was a bit stuck and discovered Hinterland...wow welsh stunning scenery  and quite thought provoking stories...really enjoyed the feel and pace of this one.

A friend then pointed me to The Killing... and apparently that is what kicked off the whole noir genre... with the character of Sarah Lund.... stunning series ... hooked start to end ! 

Shetland - Watched a part episode ... had to stop... after the depth and dark nature of the scandy crime dramas this was like watching Doc Martin or something :D 

Dead Wind... Finnish crime drama  - quite liked this for the more modern scandinavian production it was. @agelessgoodguy did you suggest this one to me ? 

The Bridge - Watched part of a one episode - didnt get straight into it.. might have to get back to this...

We Got this -  swedish with an american expat, quite comical and stumbling along and quite hilarious and unbelievable at times... but in a fun sort of way... was a nice take out of more series crime dramas

Broadchruch - English... a bit more soppy but followed a little along the cop with issues line and enjoyed this and it pulled at heart strings

Lupin - The french gentleman thief...oh this was good fun..watched series one ... cant wait for series 2 which has been shot ... just awaiting runnings around the world of S1

Luther -     @joz suggested i check this one out ... very enjoyable english dodgy cop drama :D did get a little predictable and also unbelievable at times ... but some good surprises....really wel made show...

Vera - hmm not sure what to make of this ... part watched 3/4 of one episode and just didnt hook me ... a bit all over the place ? maybe need to persist with it ? 

Line of Duty... oh gosh watched all 6 series ! just finished .... great acting and well made.......

so where does this leave me as a nordic noir crime drama tragic...looking for next fix :D 

BorderTown

Trapped

and

Marcella....

Trapped was good - no s2 on disc though so I've been waiting for a drop on iTunes.

The Bridge was good in all it's forms. To be honest I actually liked the Sicario like American version. That was fantastic and hard core. Same with The Killing.

Was wanting to check out that new one also, Wisting

Edited by Mobe1969
  • Like 1

oooh didn't know about wisting .... will explore...

I watched a bit of trapped yesterday evening ...... am liking ! so i think i will keep going with that... its on SBS on demand :) didnt check re subsequent series...

1 hour ago, Mobe1969 said:

The Bridge was good in all it's forms. To be honest I actually liked the Sicario like American version. That was fantastic and hard core. Same with The Killing.

interesting ...  is that 'the tunnel' ? was it french english or something or is it something else talking about ? 

10 hours ago, betty boop said:

BorderTown

Trapped

and

Marcella....

Try Sharp Objects as a candidate for intense crime drama...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8290362...

And for an entertaining crime drama watch with a tad of dark humour...Big Little Lies...

Big Little Lies (TV Series 2017–2019) - IMDb

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Try Sharp Objects as a candidate for intense crime drama...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8290362...

And for an entertaining crime drama watch with a tad of dark humour...Big Little Lies...

Big Little Lies (TV Series 2017–2019) - IMDb

Sharp Objects certainly looks pretty interesting thanks for heads up being HBO made have not doubt its excellent . will certainly check out big little lives as well :)

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

oooh didn't know about wisting .... will explore...

I watched a bit of trapped yesterday evening ...... am liking ! so i think i will keep going with that... its on SBS on demand :) didnt check re subsequent series...

interesting ...  is that 'the tunnel' ? was it french english or something or is it something else talking about ? 

Yeah The Tunnel was the UK version, The Bridge a US "version". I still haven't seen the third series of The Tunnel (waiting for a price drop still...)

5 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Yeah The Tunnel was the UK version, The Bridge a US "version". I still haven't seen the third series of The Tunnel (waiting for a price drop still...)

oh goodness ! I think am getting confused now ! this is original series ? 2011 ? joint swedish - danish production...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bridge_(2011_TV_series)

wondering what i watched a bit of  now :D will have to re explore ...

is this the 2013 american version ? am pretty sure not seen this one :) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bridge_(2013_TV_series)

price drop ? have not paid for anything watched so far... well apart from streaming services have access to netflix, prime, sbs on demand and such ...

Edited by betty boop

5 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

I just can't take those watermarked low res catch up services. And I think my wife said they even stick advertisements in the episodes.

understand no problem...dont mind some of the breaks ... stretch of legs and such ... but can understand if an annoyance... re PQ i'll post some screen shots ... some of free streamed is really quite good :) but yes agree catchup is probably only good for the telly not larger projected image :) 

Edited by betty boop

Below is Hinterland via netflix... while mostly watched on the small screen, i thought id put up on the JVC projector to see what like, its a series with lovely welsh scenery and comes up quite good actually... can see limits of streaming this is only 2k SDR, and audio wise theres bio atmos or anything but  i was upmixing to 7.1.6 ! and that was very good as well ! 

025A2521.thumb.JPG.2a4e6c513219e6a3f85adf273ea4280c.JPG

025A2522.thumb.JPG.d9ee53981fcdeb70ee10c703f19877ac.JPG

025A2524.thumb.JPG.dc47133d509639bf799140c3ae680cda.JPG

025A2526.thumb.JPG.e419ec283a7cf5b7acee82210a4e1d2f.JPG

025A2527.thumb.JPG.fa4a920343304ed6b18f7ba2a9bb0416.JPG

025A2528.thumb.JPG.d9a0d4198b0e8e989f434fc63ba47e67.JPG

025A2540.thumb.JPG.fb78560e5afb2f17a58ef5cafb835792.JPG

025A2541.thumb.JPG.67b72773dc01433bc0781c85cc4c9d04.JPG

025A2544.thumb.JPG.7af41edffc6b9f70eb490fff71baaee0.JPG

Picture wise Lupin was very good via netflix and watched this on the jvc n7 projector and looks pretty good for streaming. Well shot and has an interesting look to it. Audio is some sort of 5.1 pcm which am upmixing with neural X to 7.1.6 :) and sounds pretty good :) to boot...

025A2272.thumb.JPG.ab723181c4457a60d0dfc962d0021db1.JPG025A2269.thumb.JPG.ad116865c4980ec996ed9bac121d59a0.JPG025A2268.thumb.JPG.ceb08a30d3254d6bdbd1a4981c6f1c73.JPG025A2266.thumb.JPG.298c662af992846b4c032be2cd273949.JPG025A2264.thumb.JPG.c699131742ddbe26ab8571e01063f408.JPG025A2263.thumb.JPG.cc430ac46b3cab18349db812b800051d.JPG025A2262.thumb.JPG.0242b53d5336ddceb3569f344b5cc89a.JPG025A2255.thumb.JPG.fe005771ccec2d2af88d9a45322cb601.JPG025A2250.thumb.JPG.29f463323a4719e10a191853c388b831.JPG025A2249.thumb.JPG.f7d4369f727398cd76aa72577fde12a9.JPG

I've seen a few of those and enjoyed them. 

The second season of Broadchurch seemed to take too long to get started and I gave up.

I really like Vera, it's not exactly noir, but it sure isn't light with lots of 'snappy' dialogue the way many US series are (thank goodness).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

I really like Vera, it's not exactly noir, but it sure isn't light with lots of 'snappy' dialogue the way many US series are (thank goodness).

good to hear on that, might give it another run again... sounds like something worth persisting with :) 

finished trapped series 1 

how good is ardi the local town police chief ! what a character... ! 

image.png.e4663c47541ed728b8c0c099752d7981.png

i had a peep of start of series 2 its set in Reykjavik ? city proper ? not sure what Ardi is doing there, but he mentions something about heading back up north... so hope takes back to the small town and characters there ! :) 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, DesignAV said:

Yes, have been a fan of these for a while - lock down helped of course lol

just finished "Case" - very good

agree on "The Killing" series exceptional - Sarah Lund the standout..

haha it is indeed lockdown that got me onto these... 

Case sounds very interesting ! 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5038858/

also saw promo on subs for "bloodlands"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11285548/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

looks like a 2021 series seen in norther ireland ... not sure how to access even though the promo was on sbs ? cant find it on sbs on demand, suspect its pay per view somewhere being so new.. will give it time... :D 

We have just started to watch Darkness : Those who kill...well worth a look. For more straight up cop shows, Unit 1 and The Eagle...

Edited by rotur
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, betty boop said:

@DesignAV ooh where have the french been... like sounds of bureau thanks for heads up...

@rotur darkness those who kill looks very interesting indeed ...had a peep on imdb :) 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9466596/

Well if your going to get into French Crime Series then you canna miss out on the best one of all imo..."Spiral"...

• Like 1
  • Love 1