Suggestions on a phono stage

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

Checking for suggestions on a phono stage , m/c compatible, black and a half width form factor, prefer not to have a wall wart ps (but not a deal breaker) 

budget $2000 max 

ideas I’ve come up with so far, rega aria, Primare r15 , parasound zrm phono. 

ebay has a musical fidelity M1 V1nyl for sale 

any other ideas ? 

cheers 

Edited by cafe67

How much do you want to spend?

Densen DP drive, Dynavector P75, Cyrus Phono Signature would be a couple that come to mind.

• Like 1

Hello cafe67, you could look at the Graham Slee range of phono stages and you can avail yourself of the Loaner Program here too, which allows you to borrow and trial a phono preamp in your own system. If you want further information, drop me a PM.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1

I purchased my phone stage through the Graham Slee loaner program. Maybe give one of their units a spin for the cost of shipping. 

drew 

• Like 2

@cheekyboy With the Graham Slee loaner program, are you shipped a new unit on a sale or return basis? Or is it loan stock only and if you wish to purchase one you still need to return the loaner and be provided with a new unit?

Cheers

Tel

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, El Tel said:

@cheekyboy With the Graham Slee loaner program, are you shipped a new unit on a sale or return basis? Or is it loan stock only and if you wish to purchase one you still need to return the loaner and be provided with a new unit?

Cheers

Tel

Hello Tel,

With the loaner program, there is no obligation for you to purchase a new unit. The loaner units are all used units and you return the unit to me at the end of the loan period, which is typically up to 3 weeks. The loan is free of charge, however, I ask borrowers to cover my cost to post the unit with Australia Post to you and that you return it the same way at the end of the loan period.

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I highly recommend Graham Slee products and the loaner program. I’m onto my third Slee phono preamp now with an upgrade on each. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, gat474 said:

I highly recommend Graham Slee products and the loaner program. I’m onto my third Slee phono preamp now with an upgrade on each. 

Which model are you on now?

I currently run my MoFi Ultradeck/MasterTracker MM cart combo into a Rega Fono MM Mk3 preamp. I got the Rega preamp when I bought my Rega P3 turntable and it does a decent enough job, but I feel I'm possibly throttling the MoFi's strengths with the current preamp.

I’ve got an Accession Mm with the upgraded power supply. Also got an Elevator for when I get a hold of an MC cart. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, El Tel said:

Which model are you on now?

I currently run my MoFi Ultradeck/MasterTracker MM cart combo into a Rega Fono MM Mk3 preamp. I got the Rega preamp when I bought my Rega P3 turntable and it does a decent enough job, but I feel I'm possibly throttling the MoFi's strengths with the current preamp.

If you have mofi deck, as a former owner of the same tt/cart combo - the mofi phono stages are nice. 

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, gat474 said:

I’ve got an Accession Mm with the upgraded power supply. Also got an Elevator for when I get a hold of an MC cart. 

I think the sweet-spot for me would likely be the Reflex M.

4 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

If you have mofi deck, as a former owner of the same tt/cart combo - the mofi phono stages are nice. 

Certainly on my list for consideration already. They are beautifully finished. What deck/preamp did you move onto after the MoFi, out of interest?

7 minutes ago, El Tel said:

I think the sweet-spot for me would likely be the Reflex M.

Certainly on my list for consideration already. They are beautifully finished. What deck/preamp did you move onto after the MoFi, out of interest?

I was really happy with it, but had the chance to buy a Technics SL1210GAE - short of a lotto win , my forever turntable 😁

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

I was really happy with it, but had the chance to buy a Technics SL1210GAE - short of a lotto win , my forever turntable 😁

Beautiful TT.

I see you're looking for preamp suggestions, but are you still using the mofi preamp with the SL1210GAE at present?

37 minutes ago, El Tel said:

Beautiful TT.

I see you're looking for preamp suggestions, but are you still using the mofi preamp with the SL1210GAE at present?

I don’t have phono stage at the moment, I was previously using the built in one in my Marantz pm10 and now Michi x5 integrated 

Just now, cafe67 said:

I don’t have phono stage at the moment, I was previously using the built in one in my Marantz pm10 and now Michi x5 integrated 

Bugger... That's my plan of asking for first refusal on your mofi preamp out of the window then. 😆

• Haha 2

@El Tel I run a Manley Chinook tube stage on the back end of my Technics SL1210GAE. When I get my arse in gear and sort out a meet up, I can put it through its paces for you.

It’s not black Or half width for @cafe67, but a very nice unit that I picked up on here for near $2k used.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, BugPowderDust said:

When I get my arse in gear and sort out a meet up, I can put it through its paces for you.

Ha! I assumed you'd got caught-up with stuff and you'd resurface at some point... Plus it's always good to have a nose at other people's gear as it gives you ideas and other areas to research; thanks for the offer.

You know my availability etc. Ping me when you've got the time.

Post edit: on the other hand, I may come away deciding to go source a new turntable... Could end-up with another spouse-sponsored, extended stay in the shed.

Edited by El Tel
Idiocy.
  • Haha 1

Hey Mate,

I have the Elicit R with Aria Mk2, cartridge is VDH - The Frog Gold and had VDH - DDT and sounds epic on the P8.

• Like 2

See if he still has this, knock him down $500.

It wont be beaten till you spend mega dollars, even then I'm not sure it will be better.

• Like 2

This is also exceptional, looks like it was withdrawn but if you say please you never know

• Like 1

Im hearing great things about the new Hegel V10 - Hits the price point and the form factor. Hopefully not too long before it lands down under.

https://www.hegel.com/images/reviews/V10hifichoiceuk.pdf

https://www.hegel.com/images/reviews/V10hifinewsuk.pdf

https://hifipig.com/hegel-v10-phono-stage/

https://www.hegel.com/images/reviews/V10hifiplusuk.pdf

• Like 1

for 2k, Dynavector P75 mk4.    normal loading or current mode - take your pick.   sounds much better than the retail price or small size suggests.  

J8rKlKB.jpg

• Like 3

give Chamila at RFWaves in Perth a call, he makes EAR valve clones, also Marantz Valve clone phono stages, within your budget, great guy to deal with, well respected tech in WA

• Like 1

Another vote here for the Graham Slee.  Tried via Keith, had a few phono stages in my auditions from varying makers and just enjoyed the GS products most so purchased.

I've had the Reflex M and also the Accession - both with external power supply.

Accession still in the system and wont be moving it.  Will look for an elevator eventually for MC cart matching but for now MM is all good in my world.

• Like 2