Sony TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Secifications for Sonys new BRAVIA "R" Series SXRD RPTV's are listed at the bottom of this page.

http://www.sony-asia.com/corporate/news/re...2006/aug/14.htm

Pictures of what it should look like and the SXRD light engine here:

http://www.dcinside.com/webdc/dcnews/news/...ame=&s_que=

It's big page and is slow to load.

Note that the speakers are detachable on the 70”.

The 60” will have an integrated digital tuner, but the 70” will not.

Both come equipped with Sonys latest HD video processing engine (DRC 2.5) like the US XBR2.

The 60” is due in October and the 70” in November.

They are getting close now. :blink:

Specs to drool over (I have that childish "I want it now" feeling), but how much are these beauties going to cost ?

As for availability, I note the following statements from the first web page:

"The new BRAVIA S-series will be available in Asia Pacific in August and the X-series and V-series will be available in September."

Is Australia part of Sony's definition of "Asia Pacific" ?

OzHTfan, who provided some of the above info recons the 60” will have a RRP of $5999 and the 70” $6999, but that remains to be seen.

60” due in October and the 70” in November.

Yeah, that looks like being the case, although i suspect he may have made a typo on teh 70", as the material i saw from him shows a SRP of $5999 for the 60", but $7999 for the 70".

Maybe his pricing data is more updated, but it seems strange that the 60" price is teh same, but the 70 is different.

Either way, this is nowhere near the markup i expected. It seems they have basically decided to compete on price as well with the Toshiba and the LG.

And really, if they are as good as they are said to be, it makes the LG very much over priced, and given the known room for haggling a bit (say OzHTfan did make a typo, and its actually 7500), its only marginally dearer than the best price going around on the Toshi.

I know how id be spending the extra.

That first link also shows the 70" as having 2 analogue tuners.

Havent seen that before either, although all specs i have seen indicate PiP on all sets, so maybe they do have the analogue on the 70" as well....but really, why the hell would they bother. Who is going to spend $7-8000 on a tv so they can watch Analogue tv.

Generation-wise, is this the equivalent of the US 06 or 05? By the specs, (1080p50, 1080p60) it seems to be 06. Hopefully this means the QA probs are ironed out. The densely posted UK AV forum will sort that lil mystery out for us :blink:

Shrewd of Sony to not overlap the Bravia and SXRD screen sizes.

So sexy. I've been wanting to see SXRD in person since reading the Qualia reviews at the Las Vegas unveiling.

October and November? Holy moly, they ARE getting close. Finally.

EDIT:

Wait a sec... Just noticed: Analogue tuners? Printing mistake? Seems strange and inconsistent with not just the rest of the market, but their own newer lineup as well.

Generation-wise, is this the equivalent of the US 06 or 05? By the specs, (1080p50, 1080p60) it seems to be 06. Hopefully this means the QA probs are ironed out. The densely posted UK AV forum will sort that lil mystery out for us :blink:

Shrewd of Sony to not overlap the Bravia and SXRD screen sizes.

So sexy. I've been wanting to see SXRD in person since reading the Qualia reviews at the Las Vegas unveiling.

October and November? Holy moly, they ARE getting close. Finally.

EDIT:

Wait a sec... Just noticed: Analogue tuners? Printing mistake? Seems strange and inconsistent with not just the rest of the market, but their own newer lineup as well.

Yeah thats what i saw too. I know on the other data sheet ive seen, they show (as Owen said above) the 60" has DUAL DIGITAL tuners, and the 70" does not.

However, BOTH sets are advertised as having PiP. Im not really sure how they would pull that off without some kind of tuner built in (unless its PiP on different inputs, which for me would be very very awesome). So im guessing the analogue tuners are perhaps present, but not really marketed cos they are crap anyway.

Though hopefully Owen or OzHTFan can clarify this further.

Yeah thats what i saw too. I know on the other data sheet ive seen, they show (as Owen said above) the 60" has DUAL DIGITAL tuners, and the 70" does not.

However, BOTH sets are advertised as having PiP. Im not really sure how they would pull that off without some kind of tuner built in (unless its PiP on different inputs, which for me would be very very awesome). So im guessing the analogue tuners are perhaps present, but not really marketed cos they are crap anyway.

Though hopefully Owen or OzHTFan can clarify this further.

We know the 60" has a digital tuner, but it remains to be seen if the second tuner is digital.

My bet is One digital and one Analogue.

The 60" model number appears to be specific to Australia.

The 70" will almost certainly have two analogue tuners only, as it carries the same model number as models for other markets which dont use our digital system.

Thanks for the details Owen..... have you actually seen one running yet? Does it fit the bill for you?

I can see one of the 60" versions making its way into my system when the prices drop significantly.

Haven’t seen the Sony in person, but I am reasonably certain the 70” will do what I need, after I have finished modifying it.

There really is not any other options for me until the 65” 1080p Panasonic Plasma arrives, which could be a year away.

There really is not any other options for me until the 65” 1080p Panasonic Plasma arrives, which could be a year away.

Just curious guys, I have viewed a few rear-pro's in my time and the viewing angles have been terrible anywhere off centre.

Just wondering if anyone knows what the viewing angle on these bad boys are like?

And would it be viewable on top of my current entertainment unit ? (I would cut the top section off, so it would fit) -> Click here for pic

(The amp is where my centre speaker used to be.)

We know the 60" has a digital tuner, but it remains to be seen if the second tuner is digital.

My bet is One digital and one Analogue.

The 60" model number appears to be specific to Australia.

The 70" will almost certainly have two analogue tuners only, as it carries the same model number as models for other markets which dont use our digital system.

Yeah it seems that way doesnt it. Just had a look at the PDF, only says "integrated HD Tuner" for the 60" model.

And the other thing that suggests the 70" has any kind of tuner is the "PiP (For Freeze Function", and says "no" to the HD tuner.

Also in support of what you are thinking re the model numbers, is the language of the OSD is only english for the 60", but its English/Thai/Arabic/Chinese/Percian for the 70" (so clearly not an Aus specific model).

Personally, the integrated tuner is pointless for me as i run everything thru a HTPC and can just add tuners as i like, and the only real benefit is if something catastrophic happens to the HTPC 30secods before an important show, i can just switch to the built-in intstead.

Would rather they just omitted it and cut the price a bit. hehe.

What is the problem with rear projection, apart from the depth?

They dominate a room, and look hideous in the process. My view is anything above 50 inches, needs to be either wallmountable, or a digital projector.

Plus they have poor brightness uniformity, and view angles.

They just don't cut it, even the "next gen" ones.

They dominate a room, and look hideous in the process. My view is anything above 50 inches, needs to be either wallmountable, or a digital projector.

They are designed to dominate a room....thats why you buy a 70" TV.

And if you wan't that plasma look, you build them into the wall.

Then youve got the plasma look, at a fraction of the cost, a set thats modifiable, repairable, and doesnt need an aircon unit to cool it.

Not to mention no burn-in to speak of.

You are entitled to your opinion, as are all of use.

However, not everyone shares your view, or has your particular living restrictions, taste etc.

I have no need for a flat panel, as the display is mounted in the corner of the room, so depth is a none issue.

I also have no need of a projector, even a really good one. They just don’t do what I need.

LCD’s, you can keep em.

Plasma maybe, but only the 65” Panasonic 1080p is of any interest.

Whether the SXRD’s will “cut it”, is yet to be seen.

I believe it will for me, after a couple of modifications, and if not, I will wait for the Panasonic or SED.