image.thumb.jpg.42674f5b68107fbbb066b3e4572e0c1c.jpgLooking for opinions on biamping - I have just acquired a set of duntech d200 viscounts and yesterday picked up a second rotel 1312 amp with a view to try biamping. I was looking to see if biamping - albeit passively - might provide some sonic benefits. An opportunity arose to get the second rotel amp at a good price and it seemed like an exercise worth trying given I can’t afford to invest in better amplification.

as I understand the duntech although rated at 4ohm are like other duntech known to perform better with decent amplification - I think they present down to 2ohm??

I have an old but decent Nakamichi pre amp which has “2 outs” and have initially run a horizontal biamping setup - the rotel are able to be separated to run as power amps - so one is hooked to the bass binding posts and the second to the tweeters - as I’m sure people are aware the crossovers on the duntech are 1st order.

my initial impression is I can here a noticeable improvement in bass control and performance in this setup but I’m yet to be convinced of any significant improvement in imaging - but I’m new to the speakers and have been playing around with room positioning - room set up is less than ideal.

any suggestions or experiences or views welcomed - I understand passive biamping is not considered worthwhile by many - however I’m wondering if the specific combination of components I’m playing around with might have some benefits - I hadn’t tried vertical biamping them as yet as I want to spend more time in current layout.

• Like 1

Sorry, @Garden boy, I'm one of those who (having moved from passive biamping to active biamping) ... thinks passive doesn't really deliver a good result.  :(

I suggest your Rotel 1312 amps aren't really capable of delivering great sound with a spkr that drops to 2 ohms - so, just for shitsn'giggles, I suggest you should borrow a 'serious current' amp, to compare.  Such as a:

• Magtech
  • March Audio P452
  • Hypex NC400.

Andy

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, andyr said:

Sorry, @Garden boy, I'm one of those who (having moved from passive biamping to active biamping) ... thinks passive doesn't really deliver a good result.  :(

I suggest your Rotel 1312 amps aren't really capable of delivering great sound with a spkr that drops to 2 ohms - so, just for shitsn'giggles, I suggest you should borrow a 'serious current' amp, to compare.  Such as a:

• Magtech
  • March Audio P452
  • Hypex NC400.

Andy

Completely understand - appreciate your direct views - I’ve previously owned marquis which I sold a year ago - had them driven by xindak mono blocks which where a great match - unfortunately the smoke genie was released from one of the xindaks and I haven’t been able to have it repaired - but I do know how good duntech sound with decent amplification. Current finances simply don’t allow for me to consider shopping around for a better suited amp - so having to make do with the rotels - they actually have 2 x 15000uf in each amp - I guess I’m hoping passive bi amping might derive just a tad more improvement.

5 minutes ago, Garden boy said:

Completely understand - appreciate your direct views - I’ve previously owned marquis which I sold a year ago - had them driven by xindak mono blocks which were a great match - unfortunately the smoke genie was released from one of the xindaks and I haven’t been able to have it repaired - but I do know how good duntech sound with decent amplification.

If they were the XA8800s - then, yes, they probably were a great match.  :)

(Bad luck about the magic smoke.  :( )

5 minutes ago, Garden boy said:

Current finances simply don’t allow for me to consider shopping around for a better suited amp - so having to make do with the rotels - they actually have 2 x 15000uf in each amp - I guess I’m hoping passive bi amping might derive just a tad more improvement.

If you think passive bi-amping will deliver a benefit ... then I'm sure it will (to you)!  :lol:

Andy

• Haha 1

Ok decided to try vertical biamping - results are in - definitely looks better 😂58AC39D2-3B9C-4E5C-A917-CEF5BC129A08.thumb.jpeg.fd7721dc319cbac4704c2bbc7b97a58d.jpeg

• Like 1

So by using two amps vertically - ie one per speaker are they effectively mono blocks? 

1 hour ago, andythiing said:

So by using two amps vertically - ie one per speaker are they effectively mono blocks? 

It depends if each amp has fully independent power supplies for each channel ... or not.

Andy

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, andyr said:

It depends if each amp has fully independent power supplies for each channel ... or not.

Andy

No unfortunately - the 1212 and 1412 do but not the 1312 

Andy am I right in thinking that as each amp is driving one speaker with left and right channels now being used to drive high and low frequency on that speaker (with corresponding correct wiring from pre) that the power supply in each amp is therefore like a mono block? What am i missing in terms of how a true mono block works? Perhaps just showing my ignorance but I’m a little lost - having fun - definitely getting higher spls out of same volume setting from pre than when only using one of the 1312’s and I’m perhaps ignorantly thinking that is a good thing? I’d like to think I’m hearing better bass as before with horizontal bi amping but in addition I think I can hear improved imaging and wider soundstage??? But that could just be the pulled pork I had for tea talking 😂

Edited by andythiing
14 minutes ago, andythiing said:

No unfortunately - the 1212 and 1412 do but not the 1312 

Aaah, sad.  :(

Andy am I right in thinking that as each amp is driving one speaker with left and right channels now being used to drive high and low frequency on that speaker (with corresponding correct wiring from pre)

Yes,

that the power supply in each amp is therefore like a mono block?

Sorry, no.  :(

By definition a monobloc has a power supply which is devoted to the one channel.  (Which a 'dual mono' power amp also has - the only difference being, this is 2 monobloc channels in the one chassis.)

Andy