Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I've had a couple of PMs asking about the tale that I have previously alluded to, so I guess it's time.

 

Gather round and bring tissues...

 

My childhood largely sucked - well, the domestic part of it did (not your cue to start blubbing into the tissues yet). The only good memories I have involved the ritual Sunday morning vinyl record playing sessions. In our sitting room, sat an integrated ITT "music centre". I always loved those Sundays: listening to my dad's albums: Cat Stevens, The Hollies, John Denver, Elton etc. To be fair, my mum's choices were pretty good too: Neil Sedaka, T. Rex, Abba (you cannot help but smile when Abba is on the turntable), Diana Ross and The Supremes, Shirley Bassey and way more.

 

My parents split when I was 7 and I was left mostly with my maternal grandmother for many years. Nan was a wise duck, non-judgemental and compassionate. She was also skint; there was little financial support, but as she was a war-time mother, she could make the most delicious dinners out of seemingly inedible cuts of offal, suet and lard. She did her best to help fill the parental gap. I loved her; she was the most wonderful person I ever had the pleasure to know.

 

Nan let me use her membership at the library in town which had extensive vinyl as well as books (child membership would not allow access to the vinyl). I kept those Sundays going in my own way, and as pocket money allowed, I would buy an album every 2-3 months. This purchasing accelerated as I got into my early teens and got a job helping on a milk-round. My tastes had very little overlap with the other kids at secondary school. I'd also listen to the rock shows on the radio and to new material from up-and-coming bands on the Peel Sessions. My influential adult figures were not my absent parents, but the big names associated with those Sunday mornings from better times. I had new influences too, there were peers of the artists I loved as a small child rather than solely the acts of the time (1980s). It wasn't to say that I had no interest in the music of the day, I just loved the echoes of happier times, and my pantheon of heroes expanded to include Eric Clapton, The Who, Blondie (Debbie Harry was my first crush), Queen, Jimi, Bowie, Led Zeppelin and others besides. I remember feeling particularly sophisticated when I acquired my first Genesis album at the age of 9 - Abacab. It was a wonderful and never-ending journey; listening to music was my bolt-hole, a sanctuary within easy-reach, a break from the harsh realities of living in a crime-ridden, poor area of South London.

 

By my mid-teens, I had a beautiful collection of 30 or 40 blues, rock, folk, psychedelic and indie pressings (mostly originals) spanning from the 1960s to the late 1980s. I’d started to go to some of the specialist record stores in South London and would seek-out original pressings wherever I could. Quality was always paramount, but I seemed to understand the intrinsic value of what I was building; it was worth paying the extra for NM over VG to me.

 

As I started work and travelled, I was able to indulge in crate-digging wherever I went. It was only about 90-100 titles by 1992, but I had built up a collection with some amazing items including:

  • a release day purchase of Nevermind that I bought from a record store in Brooklyn NYC (I also got Blood Sugar Sex Magik at the same time, it was released the same week as Nevermind I think)
  • a NM Bob Ludwig hot mix of Led Zeppelin II (acquired on another US trip for about $60)
  • an original NM 1967 Cream - Disraeli Gears that I remember cost me 35 quid in a shop in Croydon sometime around 1987
  • an original 1981 Kraftwerk - Computer World (I didn't say my tastes could not go off-piste)
  • a pristine  1973 Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road tri-fold

 

I also had a good number of Queen and Bowie items in beautiful condition too.

 

Fast forward to 1992: I'd had a great idea and moved-in with a girl about a year before. (Narrator: "It was not a great idea"). "For every beautiful girl out there, there are ten blokes that have had it up-to-here with her crap" - I'd reached my tolerance threshold for crap and decided it was time to leave. Nobody else was involved. I tried to be decent and understanding. I tried to make it easy. I left immediately with a small bag stuffed with grundies, socks, a couple of shirts etc to see me through for a week or so. I said I would call and sort out picking up the rest of my stuff. I tried so hard for it not to be a sh*t-show and to let her down as gently as I could.

 

Tissues ready? I went back to collect everything about a week later. She didn't want to be there, saying it would be too hard etc. I understood. So I walked back in to the flat alone to be met with a scene of utter devastation. My beautiful 1970s Sansui vintage turntable had been sat on, or stamped on, multiple times. And there was much worse: all my records... all of them... every single last one... intentional, methodical, clinical vandalism. Each one was either scratched (they looked like they had hosted the NHL Ice Hockey Grand Final) or snapped. The sleeves were ripped and torn, or missing. There was nothing to salvage. A veritable crime; destruction of important cultural artefacts. She broke my heart, but not in the way most romances end.

 

She had also used scissors or a Stanley knife on much of my wardrobe - a couple of work suits, a dozen shirts, ties all cut in half. Women, eh?

 

Fast forward about 28 years and I started getting the itch again and bought a turntable. Maybe I'm chasing my youth again, but I'm still trying to recreate the collection. It has been made harder by a fading memory and also availability. I’ve had to compromise in many instances. For example, the Bob Ludwig hot mix would be over USD 1k if I could even find one in NM condition today - I see VGs with flaws going for USD500+ - I've had to settle for an early 70s reissue. I'm close now. Only a few titles missing from memory and whilst I've found some examples that are better than the ones I had 30 years ago, it's not been the norm unfortunately. I wish MoFi, Analogue Pressings and the like would cast their spell a little wider so I can get better recordings of some of my favourites.

 

One of the most touching things occurred to me last year as I started on my rebuilding journey. A very good mate of mine (who lives in Hong Kong these days) who knew my vinyl history, dropped my wife a text. He had a parcel on its way to me as a surprise and told her to look out for it - he had bought something on ebay and it was shipping from the UK. Naturally, having no knowledge of this, a parcel arrived addressed to me (obviously a 12" record package) and post marked from the UK and as I did not have any outstanding Discogs orders etc at that time, I was confused. When I opened it, there was a 1967 Disraeli Gears in pristine condition. I was pretty choked-up.

 

My wife is now really into the whole collecting thing now too. It's awesome that we can go crate-digging together. Mrs Tel seems to be able to sniff-out pre-owned vinyl racks in the back of a shop from 3 blocks away. She has a good eye for quality and often finds the gems. She recently found a spanking first release of Wings - Band on the Run, with the poster for $15.

 

All things considered, I'm a pretty lucky guy. Scarred, but lucky.

 

El Tel

 

  • Like 27
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

My vinyl tale of woe.

Decades of curration incinerated in bushfire along with everything else.

No way of rebuilding that.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, eman said:

My vinyl tale of woe.

Decades of curration incinerated in bushfire along with everything else.

No way of rebuilding that.

Unfortunately there is no teary-face option under the thumbs-up reaction. None of the options fit.

 

Genuinely sorry for your loss. And not just the vinyl.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice one Terry - thanks for taking the time to write.

 

Having a partner who not only understands your passions, but shares them and helps out, is a great gift to a man and a worthy long-time-partner goal.

Certainly more worthy than a 'great rack' - although nothing wrong with combining both, if you can.  😉

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing, truly personal attack when it gets to that.
 

I had a somewhat similar experience although my whole collection apparently ended up in a garage sale where someone no doubt was wondering why this crazy woman was selling 500 odd LPs for $20 total. 

 

Im still rebuilding my collection, although I have many more total records now, some I lost can never be replaced or I just can’t remember everything I had.  Still I am definitely in a better place. 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for telling you sad tale. Great to read .......terrible to live through

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes a great read and thank you for sharing...file under vinyl tales of woe...🤪

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Men attack directly and physically, women think first and deeply and exact a non physical but brutal long lasting revenge - so it goes.

 

Two tales, one personal and the other anecdotal. I met this young woman who convinced me that living together was a good idea, emotionally and economically. She found a flat, paid a deposit (without my seeing and agreeing) it seemed to me that she was taking control. OK I don't have a problem with strong women, very often they are the best to take control of many aspects of a relationship.

 

Moving in day - I arrived with my stuff in a friend's van. First things I took up were a couple of bin liners stuffed with clothes, the second was one of my AR 3a speakers (heavy buggers). She was there with a girl friend, when I entered with the speaker, stamping her foot and adopting a controlling manner "if you think I'm having crap like that in 'my' flat you can think again". I looked and had this vision of a female SS in her black uniform. "no of course not" said I.

 

I picked up the speaker and turned to go, I heard her say to her friend laughing "got him sorted". Keeping cool I carefully descended the stairs. My friend said "what's happening" - " I got lucky, I saw the future and it's definitely not here, start the engine" I ran back upstairs, grabbed the two bin liners and raced back down, jumped into the van - drive, drive. She got total control of the flat and total liability for the rent. Imagine what she would have done to my possessions If I had fully moved in - I'm sure it would have been a carbon copy of your experience Terry.

 

I can't remember now the reason I called to see this guy it was a long time ago. Anyway knocked at the door and his girlfriend answered, I entered. I saw she was angry and she told me "he's screwing another friend's wife, I've had enough". There was a knock at the door and there was a builder from across the road. He came in and said "where do you want it" her reply i"n those speakers". The speakers were on their backs and she was undoing the transducers, She carefully made cones of cardboard and the builder came in with buckets of cement which he carefully  poured into the speaker enclosures. The girlfriend then carefully replaced the transducers. Later that day the builder and a mate came and set the speakers back up and got his bung of £20.

 

Years later I found that his infidelity was a reaction to his sexual identity problem and he had undergone a sex change operation - so it goes.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Southerly said:

Men attack directly and physically, women think first and deeply and exact a non physical but brutal long lasting revenge - so it goes.

 

Two tales, one personal and the other anecdotal. I met this young woman who convinced me that living together was a good idea, emotionally and economically. She found a flat, paid a deposit (without my seeing and agreeing) it seemed to me that she was taking control. OK I don't have a problem with strong women, very often they are the best to take control of many aspects of a relationship.

 

Moving in day - I arrived with my stuff in a friend's van. First things I took up were a couple of bin liners stuffed with clothes, the second was one of my AR 3a speakers (heavy buggers). She was there with a girl friend, when I entered with the speaker, stamping her foot and adopting a controlling manner "if you think I'm having crap like that in 'my' flat you can think again". I looked and had this vision of a female SS in her black uniform. "no of course not" said I.

 

I picked up the speaker and turned to go, I heard her say to her friend laughing "got him sorted". Keeping cool I carefully descended the stairs. My friend said "what's happening" - " I got lucky, I saw the future and it's definitely not here, start the engine" I ran back upstairs, grabbed the two bin liners and raced back down, jumped into the van - drive, drive. She got total control of the flat and total liability for the rent. Imagine what she would have done to my possessions If I had fully moved in - I'm sure it would have been a carbon copy of your experience Terry.

 

I can't remember now the reason I called to see this guy it was a long time ago. Anyway knocked at the door and his girlfriend answered, I entered. I saw she was angry and she told me "he's screwing another friend's wife, I've had enough". There was a knock at the door and there was a builder from across the road. He came in and said "where do you want it" her reply i"n those speakers". The speakers were on their backs and she was undoing the transducers, She carefully made cones of cardboard and the builder came in with buckets of cement which he carefully  poured into the speaker enclosures. The girlfriend then carefully replaced the transducers. Later that day the builder and a mate came and set the speakers back up and got his bung of £20.

 

Years later I found that his infidelity was a reaction to his sexual identity problem and he had undergone a sex change operation - so it goes.

Nothing at all to do with a 'Woe of Vinyl' at all then.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, eman said:

Nothing at all to do with a 'Woe of Vinyl' at all then.

Your comment does not compute - first up were to be the speakers then the amp and then the vinyl, about 600 then. lots of collectable LPs that nowadays goes for really silly money.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GregWormald said:

So, when did she get out of jail?

You mean the concreting woman. I was there when he returned. He would have tried it on with my then girlfriend but I 'marked his card'. The concrete had set and there was no way he could move them even with help. I suggested he give a bung to the builder across the road to use his Kango to break them up he did - another £20.

 

PS: the builder and the guy's woman got together and made a very happy couple.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The worst thing that has happened to my record collection is lending out an album or albums and not getting them back 

 

Its cost be money, time and effort over the years to replace them with the same pressing 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Southerly said:

You mean the concreting woman. I was there when he returned. He would have tried it on with my then girlfriend but I 'marked his card'. The concrete had set and there was no way he could move them even with help. I suggested he give a bung to the builder across the road to use his Kango to break them up he did - another £20.

 

PS: the builder and the guy's woman got together and made a very happy couple.

 

Classic tale, Stuart!  :thumb:

 

Andy

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

In the 19702 my brother and I spent a very pleasant afternoon listening to a friend's vinyl collection in her room. He continued when I left. She was out. Because of his dyslexia and general untidiness he didn't re-sleeve the LPs after playing--just stacked them up randomly (this was very common in those days; after a party you'd spend ages matching up the records with the covers).

Bad news alert: that lady's records were all stacked high on an accessible TABLE shelf in the evening. But it wasn't a shelf. IT WAS A OIL TYPE ROOM HEATER.

 

A very sad demise for almost every (melted/warped) LP. It still makes me pause when I think about it, some 50 years later.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jeromelang said:

doesn't matter if it is one or 300, still hurts...

 

184574318-10159636365809260-227928586939

How else did you expect the vinyl to be delivered to your address...with a mail box like that?!?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BLAH BLAH said:

How else did you expect the vinyl to be delivered to your address...with a mail box like that?!?

Card in the mailbox to be collected from the Post Office.

 

But your point is somewhat valid, especially if you receive regular deliveries of records in the mail...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, BLAH BLAH said:

How else did you expect the vinyl to be delivered to your address...with a mail box like that?!?

 

my actual mailbox is not even half the size of that box you see in that photo.

nobody has yet tried to stuff a parcel the size of a 12" vinyl record into my mailbox.

still, one record (Jennifer Warnes's Famous Blue Raincoat Attic Press) did arrived at my doorsteps broken in half.

Edited by jeromelang
Link to post
Share on other sites

The French brought in legislation that requires all mail boxes to be of a certain size and better yet it has to be opened by keys both from the rear by the householder and from the front by La Poste or any of the private parcel delivery firms. This means that you don't have to be at home when they come. La Poste and the private companies all have a key to access the front of the mail box, there are serious penalties for the companies if this position of trust is abused.

 

You can also have your parcels left at a designated 'point de relais' and pick them up at your leisure - a great idea if you know that the parcel will not fit into the mail box.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/05/2021 at 9:02 PM, Full Range said:

The worst thing that has happened to my record collection is lending out an album or albums and not getting them back 

 

Its cost be money, time and effort over the years to replace them with the same pressing 


And you usually lend to people you know and trust, which hurts.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

My vinyl sad tale is simple(but no less painful )

 

Back in the 80's I had a collection of 1500 vinyl albums , many of them rare and irreplaceable were stolen by a psychotic "friend" who broke into my house and stole them. He then piled them up and danced around while they burnt in a bonfire, along with my Linn Sondek and Kiseki Purple Heart cart.

 

It set me back so much I didn't have the heart or will to replace them and the TT/cart.

 

It took me until 2017 to get back on the horse and I am glad I did but I will never get even close to what I had.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Hi @rantan sorry for your vinyl loss...and how is your "friend" going these days?!?!

 

He spent quite some time in a psychiatric facility and tried to re connect with me about 10 years back, bit I just said no way and disconnected the call. This was before the NBN and we now have no land line so now he cannot get in touch.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rantan said:

My vinyl sad tale is simple(but no less painful )

 

Back in the 80's I had a collection of 1500 vinyl albums , many of them rare and irreplaceable were stolen by a psychotic "friend" who broke into my house and stole them. He then piled them up and danced around while they burnt in a bonfire, along with my Linn Sondek and Kiseki Purple Heart cart.

 

It set me back so much I didn't have the heart or will to replace them and the TT/cart.

 

It took me until 2017 to get back on the horse and I am glad I did but I will never get even close to what I had.

:(

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/05/2021 at 12:35 AM, Kaynin said:


And you usually lend to people you know and trust, which hurts.

Couldn't have put it better myself and the same goes for books. As my old Zen master said "if they really wanted it, they would have gone out and bought it".

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

G'day all, wow what a sad collection of recollections!  I guess that it says a lot about the sadder and more horrible aspects of human nature!  Thankfully I've never really had things happen to me like this beyond perhaps visits by the police, although that was bad enough!  Regards, Felix.  

 

Edited by catman
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...