Long porcelain tiles under turntable.

I've got some long leftover porcelain floor tiles from our reno and I was thinking of using them underneath the SOTA as I am puting it on some new heavy furniture.

Has anyone got any history of doing this before?

Feet are Tiptoes.

Cheers in advance.

Edited by Wimbo

I'm not sure that these would be helpful under a turntable, as the porcelain is unlikely to dissipate any unwanted energy and your tiptoes are more likely to bounce on them.  A bamboo chopping board is more likely to help, or a sandstone paver.   But if you have the tiles spare, you can experiment and see if they make a difference. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

I'm not sure that these would be helpful under a turntable, as the porcelain is unlikely to dissipate any unwanted energy and your tiptoes are more likely to bounce on them.  A bamboo chopping board is more likely to help, or a sandstone paver.   But if you have the tiles spare, you can experiment and see if they make a difference. 

Thanks for answering mate. these qre 1200x200.Interesting thing is whether the porcelain stores and dissipates any energy anyway. I saw online a guy get two of the Ikea boards  that are routed and he put ball bearings between them and isolated that way. I havent mucked around with this type of thing for decades and was just interested.

You should tap the tiles while holding them as if they are hanging 

You will be surprised to hear the sound they make 

They are like a an organic percussion instrument 

For that reason I say - no don’t use them - under the turntable 

Edited by Full Range
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Full Range said:

You should tap the tiles while holding them as if they are hanging 

You will be surprised to hear the sound they make 

They are like a an organic percussion instrument 

For that reason I say - no don’t use them - under the turntable 

Hmm, good point. I have a heavy cabinet that is quite dense, it makes a noise also when tapped.

Edited by Wimbo

I fitted a left over marble piece from a recent kitchen makeover under the TT.

Wasn't expecting much improvement considering already had an isolation stand and maglev feet, but it did help.

It seemed to tighten up the bass and open up the mids.

IMG20210513104317.thumb.jpg.fd609e2c8025d651025b8793ab3a1a01.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Wimbo said:

Thanks for answering mate. these qre 1200x200.Interesting thing is whether the porcelain stores and dissipates any energy anyway. I saw online a guy get two of the Ikea boards  that are routed and he put ball bearings between them and isolated that way. I havent mucked around with this type of thing for decades and was just interested.

The butcher blocks with isolation worked for me, but now my tables have got too big.