Opinions Rega Elex-R or Schiit Ragnarok mk 2

Hi all,

Getting back into hifi after 25 years.

I'm currently using a Chromecast audio into a topping E30 then NAD C326BEE to Orpheus Apollo VI speakers.

The topping DAC and Apollo are new purchases.

Down the track I'm looking to upgrade the amp to either of the two mentioned in the title. Looking for a basic integrated not bothered about onboard DAC or phono stage or even an earphone socket.

I'm purely streaming for the moment. The absolute stretch of my budget will be absolutely maxed out at $2700 ish.

Any suggestions as to which may sound better or worse?

Any other contenders I should be looking at?

I listen to almost any type of music and tend to prefer neutral or slightly warm sound.

Cheers,

Pete

I just upgraded from the Elex-r. Can’t compare with the Schiit.

The Rega was great, and I think it’s a great amp.

But really I think big things have just happened in solid-state amplification, and a Purifi (or Hypex) power amp driven by some simple preamp that scores well on Audio Science Review will be possible for $2700 and I must say has taken my system from OK to bloody marvellous. Those Orpheus speakers look nice!

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, JD1973 said:

I just upgraded from the Elex-r. Can’t compare with the Schiit.

The Rega was great, and I think it’s a great amp.

But really I think big things have just happened in solid-state amplification, and a Purifi (or Hypex) power amp driven by some simple preamp that scores well on Audio Science Review will be possible for $2700 and I must say has taken my system from OK to bloody marvellous. Those Orpheus speakers look nice!

Thanks for the info and feedback.

Would you suggest something like the March audio p252?

Any suggestions on what decent pre amps I should be looking for?

Sorry, even though I've had hifi stuff for 30 years it's all been at the cheaper end (NAD 7020, NAD C326bee, Toys Minstrel) so really I'm a bit of a clueless newbie😁.

Cheers,

Pete

I'm a bit of a (heavy reading) newbie too - I have only my own system to talk about.  I can say that the work of Bruno Putzey and crew seems to get consistent market-leading reviews and respect. The Hypex (p252) and Purifi (p452) amplification modules seem to have moved class D into something very good, which means more power per dollar but at more class A style performance... I think.  

I can also say that if you email Alan at March Audio he's very helpful and would help match the power amp to a pre-amp.  That p252 looks great value - I was happy to find March Audio as I could buy Purifi at a reasonable cost (wasn't sure about the NAD implementation, and it was cheaper than VTV etc), and the quality is very solid. The touch-control power switch is fussy, but that doesn't spoil the music.

Pre-amps... I'd like a Mola Mola Makua or a PS Audio BHK or ... I think at lower prices the little 'desktop' units by people like Topping and SMSL and Schiit... so a Topping Pre90 ($930) with March p252 would probably sound great, or a Schiit Freya, etc etc

• Like 1

I don't know about the Hypex gear but I can say that if you like a slightly warmer sound then the higher end Regas are probably not for you, they can be a bit on the bright side.  They work well for vinyl or for a system with a tube front end but not so good for digital.

The Ragnarok is nice and smooth and a little warm so probably the better bet of the two for your preferences.  Remember, it runs hot, no enclosed cabinets for the Ragnarok.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info everyone. It all helps make things a little less bewildering.

Yeah, bright does my head in as does too much bass.

I see Schiit do a reasonably priced pre amp called the saga s. I wonder if that would be an ok pairing?

Maybe I'll email March Audio.

1 hour ago, JD1973 said:

I'm a bit of a (heavy reading) newbie too - I have only my own system to talk about.  I can say that the work of Bruno Putzey and crew seems to get consistent market-leading reviews and respect. The Hypex (p252) and Purifi (p452) amplification modules seem to have moved class D into something very good, which means more power per dollar but at more class A style performance... I think.  

I can also say that if you email Alan at March Audio he's very helpful and would help match the power amp to a pre-amp.  That p252 looks great value - I was happy to find March Audio as I could buy Purifi at a reasonable cost (wasn't sure about the NAD implementation, and it was cheaper than VTV etc), and the quality is very solid. The touch-control power switch is fussy, but that doesn't spoil the music.

Pre-amps... I'd like a Mola Mola Makua or a PS Audio BHK or ... I think at lower prices the little 'desktop' units by people like Topping and SMSL and Schiit... so a Topping Pre90 ($930) with March p252 would probably sound great, or a Schiit Freya, etc etc

I had a look at that Mola Mola one. Yikes! Worth more than my car!