Radford STA 15, STA 25 Preamp and speaker pairings?

The ultimate would be NOS Mullards all round including XF2 EL34's, and I think what Kirk is suggesting....would be no worries about being bright there.

For a little less expense I'd go for NOS Svetlana EL34 Winged C's with NOS Mullards up front. The NOS Winged C's would be a be better than any of the new productions IMO, but the ultimate would include the NOS XFx Mullard EL34's.

Pretty much all the new production EL34's apart from the Chinese ones are out of either one of two factories in Russia and owned by New Sensor. It surprises me how similar a lot of the new production EL34's are to each other in construction, some are virtually identical to one another but different brand names.

Edited by muon*
  • Like 2

I've messaged the OP with my recommendation/s. Just confirming for others following this thread the use of Mullard vintage Xf2's will transform the Radford EL34 amps significantly. I believe their conceptual design was based on the sound characteristics of this specific tube. They cost a lot to source but well worth it in the end.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, xlr8or said:

I've messaged the OP with my recommendation/s. Just confirming for others following this thread the use of Mullard vintage Xf2's will transform the Radford EL34 amps significantly. I believe their conceptual design was based on the sound characteristics of this specific tube. They cost a lot to source but well worth it in the end.

I'm sure they do, x.  But they're still:

• tube amps, and
  • low powered!

So - as far as the OP's spkrs are concerned - I suggest a high current ss amp (like a Magtech) will make the OP's Radford spkrs sound much better (as I betcha they drop to a low impedance).  Radford might well've recommended their amps to drive their spkrs - but back in the day, no-one was producing amps with the current delivery capacity of something like today's Magtech.

Andy

• Like 2

Just adding to my previous post, I've rolled Radford EL34 amps before for other owners and most refuse to use any other EL34 tube except for the Mullard Xf2 made in the 1960's in the Blackburn plant UK. The OP's challenge is finding an octet set of these wonderful sounding tubes. The MA50's are an impressive set of monos to look at especially when naked. Those iron OPTs would weigh quite a bit I bet. I would recommend acquiring Xf2 singles at a reasonable price over time until an octet set has been collated. 👍

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 1

On 17/05/2021 at 2:51 PM, RockRolley said:

@Graywulf @Jehuty @muon* @andyr @RCAJack

Hi guys,

Thanks for all of your feedback. I couldn't help myself. I got the MA50s and also got the STA15 and SC22P. The MA50s are powering my large radford speakers nicely. For the MA50s I have the preamp on 1 where my Pioneer A-300r Precision used to be on nearly half volume to get the same level, so the speakers seem to like it power wise. Soundstage is incredible as is detail. It's a little brighter than expected. I'm currently using a solid state Radford ZD22. I'm going to look out for the matching woodford tube pre which may warm it up a bit. Also, the MA50s don't have the recommended brand of tubes, does anyone know if tube brand can influence brightness/warmth? Certainly open to other tube and preamp recommendations for warming it up.

I haven't got the STA15 and SC22P home at this stage, and I will take my time to match these with appropriate speakers. I've blown my budget getting all these units so I need to raise some funds before getting more gear. Still open to ideas for ideal speakers for the STA15. That said, I'm not likely to spend over a couple of K. 

Thanks again guys. I'll post some pics soon too.

16 hours ago, andyr said:

I'm sure they do, x.  But they're still:

• tube amps, and
  • low powered!

So - as far as the OP's spkrs are concerned - I suggest a high current ss amp (like a Magtech) will make the OP's Radford spkrs sound much better (as I betcha they drop to a low impedance).  Radford might well've recommended their amps to drive their spkrs - but back in the day, no-one was producing amps with the current delivery capacity of something like today's Magtech.

Andy

Sounds like the MA50's are doing a good job powering those Radfords, and from RR's post they are sounding very good with them and just need some extra warmth.

Edited by muon*
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, muon* said:

Sounds like the MA50's are doing a good job powering those Radfords, and from RR's post they are sounding very good with them and just need some extra warmth.

I agree with you, Ian - the 50w tube Radford amps seem to be doing a good job - and the OP is happy with the resulting sound.

However, my point is ... that there's a world of difference between "making the spkrs sound good" and "allowing the spkrs to deliver their best"! :)

Andy

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, andyr said:

I agree with you, Ian - the 50w tube Radford amps seem to be doing a good job - and the OP is happy with the resulting sound.

However, my point is ... that there's a world of difference between "making the spkrs sound good" and "allowing the spkrs to deliver their best"! :)

Andy

But, Andy, better drive is not a guarantee of better subjective performance, will for an example a Class D amp provide the beautiful liquid midrange or the encompassing soundstage that is likely the result of the Radford amp?

• Like 2

The same could and is said about driving my ML-1's, but for myself it would be one step forward and two steps back, and why I'm driving them with a 20w-25w PP EL34 amp :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, muon* said:

But, Andy, better drive is not a guarantee of better subjective performance, will for an example a Class D amp provide the beautiful liquid midrange or the encompassing soundstage that is likely the result of the Radford amp?

Absolutely it (a Class D) won't, Ian - compared to a great tube amp.

But tube amps are not generally good with low impedance spkrs; it's an assumption - as I can't find any specs - but I suspect the OP's spkrs drop to a low level of impedance.  Back when they - and the amps - were designed noone was making high-current ss amps that actually sounded good ... today, there are such beasts.

So whilst I'm sure a high-powered tube amp such as the AR 250SE or a VTL 250w amp would make the Radford spkrs sound much better than the MA50s (with all that "beautiful liquid midrange or the encompassing soundstage") - these are seriously expensive amps, compared to, say an ME850 or a Magtech.

Andy

On 17/05/2021 at 11:41 PM, RCAJack said:

Congrats on these acquisitions!

You could tube roll the ECC81 and ECF82 fairly economically to tune the sound somewhat. Switching power valves will be a bigger investment! What about auditioning the SC22P (when it turns up) with the monoblocks to see how that affects the sound you’re getting? Could be a useful data point. 

Thanks @RCAJackill definitely test the SC22P when it arrives. 

577F8A59-85F5-4D19-B419-7340B4D6548E.jpeg

4C2F79FA-CF39-4AF9-A337-11E2E58D9996.jpeg

6E8792AB-656A-4B3C-8974-1E23C2110153.jpeg

47E421B7-D652-41D4-8556-01DCF7E4B24A.jpeg

B0784049-3CC7-4230-A6C4-09E5BF7132C6.jpeg

59EEAEB4-5FC6-4450-B90F-1396C80CFCEA.jpeg

7E54D790-7C88-4C9F-B1D8-241825E92BC5.jpeg

• Like 2

Lovely looking photos. You've already got a Mullard Mitcham CV4024 in there. 👍

Can you also share some photos of your speakers to help identify the model you own?

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, xlr8or said:

Lovely looking photos. You've already got a Mullard Mitcham CV4024 in there. 👍

Can you also share some photos of your speakers to help identify the model you own?

These are my actual speakers but as photographed by the previous owner. I believe Kef B139, goodmans mid, Celestion hf1300 tweeter and hf2000 super tweeter. I think called Radford Studio Monitors. Thanks for your input 

2D6915F8-C9EB-41EC-992B-E978077C5155.jpeg

336ACB61-2872-45A0-9DE2-6D71F15389C5.jpeg

It appears you have the same speakers as the ones shown below. If that's the case then they are 8-16 ohm nominal load speakers. The speaker below is circa 1967. I suspect your ones may be the same vintage imported from the UK by one of the previous owners.

Can you confirm if there are any similar labels or markings on the rear?

Edit: Yep, confirmed. You have these speakers, which are in fact 16 ohm nominal load speakers:

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/radford_studio.html

What taps are available on the back of the MA50's? 4-8 ohm only?

Second Edit: I think you need the STA25 (even an STA15 will work) with 16 ohm taps to drive your 4-way studio speakers from the 1960's into the 1960's era of fabulous music. If you do this I'm coming over to your place regularly to listen. 😁

The MA50's are probably better suited to drive an 8 ohm nominal load speaker of the modern era that is designed for use with tube amps.

images.jpeg-34.jpg

images.jpeg-35.jpg

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, xlr8or said:

It appears you have the same speakers as the ones shown below. If that's the case then they are 8-16 ohm nominal load speakers. The speaker below is circa 1967. I suspect your ones may be the same vintage imported from the UK by one of the previous owners.

Edit: Yep, confirmed. You have these speakers, which are in fact 16 ohm nominal load speakers:

Second Edit: I think you need the STA25 (even an STA15 will work) with 16 ohm taps to drive your 4-way studio speakers from the 1960's into the 1960's era of fabulous music. If you do this I'm coming over to your place regularly to listen. 😁

The MA50's are probably better suited to drive an 8 ohm nominal load speaker of the modern era that is designed for use with tube amps.

images.jpeg-34.jpg

images.jpeg-35.jpg

3F53BFA0-B6CD-4ECD-9CCA-231FE1C05261.thumb.jpeg.cda34f9126ce391919fa5710175d8edb.jpegYes, same diagram, that is fantastic thanks. I had the STA 15 set to 8ohms, I’ll try it on 16 when I get it back. I’ve collected all parts to build a set of IMF TLS80, do you think the mono blocks could drive those nicely? Thanks again 

• Like 1

I have included the impedance curve of the TLS80 below to visualise the impedance drops across the frequency range. I see a 3.8 ohm dip at 3 places and a peak at 7 ohms. I read on the stereophile review that the MA50's have a single nominal 5 ohm output tap but work within the range of 4-8 ohm. I think you will be fine with this set up.

http://www.imf-electronics.com/Home/imf/speaker-range/reference-speakers/tls80

20210520_215412.jpg

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, xlr8or said:

I have included the impedance curve of the TLS80 below to visualise the impedance drops across the frequency range. I see a 3.8 ohm dip at 3 places and a peak at 7 ohms. I read on the stereophile review that the MA50's have a single nominal 5 ohm output tap but work within the range of 4-8 ohm. I think you will be fine with this set up.

http://www.imf-electronics.com/Home/imf/speaker-range/reference-speakers/tls80

20210520_215412.jpg

Man, you have been of HUGE assistance in all of this. I REALLY appreciate all of this. Thank you 

On 19/05/2021 at 11:37 PM, xlr8or said:

images.jpeg-34.jpg

images.jpeg-35.jpg

You’re definitely welcome to come to listen. I’ll hopefully have the STA15 soon. Very excited to set it all up properly. 

• Like 2

Hanging out to hear how the STA15 on the 16 ohm taps went :)

Edit: DOH! that's right you are awaiting It's arrival.

Edited by muon*
  • Like 1

On 18/05/2021 at 2:03 AM, RCAJack said:

@muon i thought the Radford/Woodside MA50 was the Renaissance circuit as it’s not a 60s era product?

Radford did make monoblocks, but John Widgery  did 'play' with some of the circuits, but the transformers which was Arthur's 'black art' masterpieces were made to the exact specs and by the same factory Radford himself used after closing his own hardware manufacturing side. Classic example of that was the Woodside 100 watt (STA type) amp. From my understanding It was kind of based on the STA-100, but 'improved' in as much as using 4XKT88 instead of 2 per channel.

I would 'guess' Widgery altered the driver tube line-up to what he felt was 'correct' on the MA-50. Radford/Widgery didn't always get it right, the 'second' version TT-100 of the STA used a transistor driver section instead of tubed, and it was supposed to be 'poor' by Radford sonic quality standards.

• Like 2

On 13/05/2021 at 4:28 PM, RockRolley said:

Thanks, Graywulf,

There seems to be problems, at least in my system, with the STA15 and SC22P. I'd love it to be as incredible as I've heard they are. Perhaps it needs new valves or a re-cap, I'm in new territory and I'm not sure what it would take to get that legendary experience from it, so I'm a bit intimidated... still, I'm ultra curious and still tempted to go with it. The demo of the MA50 blocks was fantastic, it seemed to pack a good amount of power and did everything great, just at the right time. The STA 25 seemed tight and liquid all at the same time-it was gorgeous. Tough choices-I'd love'em all. As far as my current system goes, the mono blocks seem the best fit. I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm into aesthetic qualities, and the mono blocks just look stunning too. Re the 15, based on your 'back to back' demo experience, maybe it's just a matter of getting a tech used to this type of gear to bring the 15 up to original form. Re: High efficiency speakers, I'll check out your recommendations. I have some concertos too, but as you said even these may not be a right fit. Just got some B&W DM3 speakers-haven't picked them up yet, maybe a good match for the STA15?

Was the STA100 from Radford or Widgery era? I'd love to hear more about the sonic charecteristics of these?

Thanks again

Hi,

sorry for the delayed reply... had a Tangi to deal with etc, and work shifts. 

OK.  The SC22P will need re-capping for sure, and likely re-tubing. The phono stage is transistor, not tube, but then feeds into the tube line stage. Likely the STA-15 will need to be re-capped, DO NOT scrimp on the signal path caps please. Selecting tubes and advising is difficult as I had my 100 in the 1990's when tubed gear was still not really popular. So I was able to easily and affordably get 'old' tubes like SQ ECC83 and SQ ECC88 (gold pin phillips, siemens and mullard) in fair number. (even as stupid as selling the 100, I also gave most of them too)

If you can find them, (and I can assure you even without 'holy grail' tubes) good Mullard, Tele's, Brimar, philips, seimens, even RCA GE etc standard production tubes will work wonders with Radfords.

The STA-100 was a Radford era (1967 I think) amp. It was designed as a professional/studio monitor amp. Massive transformers, it was bloody expensive, from memory I think  600 UK pounds rising to near 900 in the 70's when production ended.  Sound? one word, SUBLIME!!! beautiful highs, certainly went way out of 'hearing range' (on test signal CD my dogs could hear something) Bottom end to 'burn' probably not the  SLAM of a SS amp, but I was using it with a pair of NZ made Lambert SP280 Timekeeper speakers. These were a '2 way' array speaker 'pyramidical,' in design, 4 base/mid and 2 leaf tweeters. I'll openly admit here they needed the Radford's 100 watts at a minimum. The 'best' I heard those speakers sound Power/dynamics.. was attached to a Plinius SA 250 amp. On a test CD was still getting reasonable bass/sound at 25 htz with that combo. (Radford/Lambert) One of my favourite 'test tracks' for systems is one by Curved Air, Paris by night. It's actually a very simple repetitive track, but therein lies it's use as a test track, first 2 mins or so is all 'top end keys' on a Grand Piano, trust me if your system is forward. sibilant or harsh, you will suffer. It then changes into a far more bass sound, then into deep bass sound. As much as the 'top end gets a workout, the depth of your bass response will too. (compared my speakers to a pair of infinity Kappa 9 the kappa's missed the bottom 'octave') it also really will show up the ability to differentiate instruments... the bass as it progresses introduces different instruments... these also get 'overlaid' on eachother.... Grand Piano bottom keys, leading into a 'Bass' (wood instrument) then deep from electronic medium (not guitar) The Radford held this together in a way I can honestly say I have not heard another tube amp equal, and I am including both my 'modded' VTA M125's and my TRI M88SE mono blocks.

Why did I part with the STA-100? Tubes :( to get 1000 wt from a pair of KT88's Radford put 600v anode/screen on them GE KT88 RCA 6550 etc could handle that (as the fact in 1990 it still had GE KT88's (that were down to about 50% output Gm) in it. Living in NZ in the early 90's?  those tubes were unobtanium, it simply devoured Chinese KT88's like a sailor drinking beer on his first day of furlough.  Often catastrophic failure, requiring the sacrificial resistor replacement. Max of 6 months (if lucky) all 4 of the quad were 'done', so it was a constant meal of chinese KT88's  the best tubes in it for sound/life ended up being the 'real' Svetlana 6550B but even they got 'cooked' quite frequently. Modern tube production of the KT family then just was not up to the task, and I even today will burn through a set (octet) of 6550/KT88 in 18 months with the amount of use my system gets. (you can guess the throughput of tubes with that level of use on the Radford) So sadly I parted ways with it...  today? I'd have the KT100, KT120 available.   My current system probably runs at 90% of what I had then, VTA's and different speakers. It's my greatest regret for selling of gear but i know at the time it was the 'sensible' thing to do :(

• Like 1

On 20/05/2021 at 12:55 PM, RockRolley said:

3F53BFA0-B6CD-4ECD-9CCA-231FE1C05261.thumb.jpeg.cda34f9126ce391919fa5710175d8edb.jpegYes, same diagram, that is fantastic thanks. I had the STA 15 set to 8ohms, I’ll try it on 16 when I get it back. I’ve collected all parts to build a set of IMF TLS80, do you think the mono blocks could drive those nicely? Thanks again 

I'm going to be a wet blanket here, sorry...

my friend and tech has a pair of IMF 80 TLS... He uses a 400wt per SS amp he built himself. Yes I know the speakers are only rated at 80wt. :o

But to give perspective,  end of last year I purchased my first SS amps in over 25yrs. YES I DID, his previous 125 watt (self built no expense spared) LM chip amps with the good texas instrument chips. They were not sufficient to really provide the 'juice' those IMF require. The 125wt LM amps sound pretty good, but the control, depth, and slam the 400wt amp allows the 80's to produce?? WOW!!!

On 25/05/2021 at 10:58 PM, Graywulf said:

Hi,

sorry for the delayed reply... had a Tangi to deal with etc, and work shifts. 

OK.  The SC22P will need re-capping for sure, and likely re-tubing. The phono stage is transistor, not tube, but then feeds into the tube line stage. Likely the STA-15 will need to be re-capped, DO NOT scrimp on the signal path caps please. Selecting tubes and advising is difficult as I had my 100 in the 1990's when tubed gear was still not really popular. So I was able to easily and affordably get 'old' tubes like SQ ECC83 and SQ ECC88 (gold pin phillips, siemens and mullard) in fair number. (even as stupid as selling the 100, I also gave most of them too)

If you can find them, (and I can assure you even without 'holy grail' tubes) good Mullard, Tele's, Brimar, philips, seimens, even RCA GE etc standard production tubes will work wonders with Radfords.

The STA-100 was a Radford era (1967 I think) amp. It was designed as a professional/studio monitor amp. Massive transformers, it was bloody expensive, from memory I think  600 UK pounds rising to near 900 in the 70's when production ended.  Sound? one word, SUBLIME!!! beautiful highs, certainly went way out of 'hearing range' (on test signal CD my dogs could hear something) Bottom end to 'burn' probably not the  SLAM of a SS amp, but I was using it with a pair of NZ made Lambert SP280 Timekeeper speakers. These were a '2 way' array speaker 'pyramidical,' in design, 4 base/mid and 2 leaf tweeters. I'll openly admit here they needed the Radford's 100 watts at a minimum. The 'best' I heard those speakers sound Power/dynamics.. was attached to a Plinius SA 250 amp. On a test CD was still getting reasonable bass/sound at 25 htz with that combo. (Radford/Lambert) One of my favourite 'test tracks' for systems is one by Curved Air, Paris by night. It's actually a very simple repetitive track, but therein lies it's use as a test track, first 2 mins or so is all 'top end keys' on a Grand Piano, trust me if your system is forward. sibilant or harsh, you will suffer. It then changes into a far more bass sound, then into deep bass sound. As much as the 'top end gets a workout, the depth of your bass response will too. (compared my speakers to a pair of infinity Kappa 9 the kappa's missed the bottom 'octave') it also really will show up the ability to differentiate instruments... the bass as it progresses introduces different instruments... these also get 'overlaid' on eachother.... Grand Piano bottom keys, leading into a 'Bass' (wood instrument) then deep from electronic medium (not guitar) The Radford held this together in a way I can honestly say I have not heard another tube amp equal, and I am including both my 'modded' VTA M125's and my TRI M88SE mono blocks.

Why did I part with the STA-100? Tubes :( to get 1000 wt from a pair of KT88's Radford put 600v anode/screen on them GE KT88 RCA 6550 etc could handle that (as the fact in 1990 it still had GE KT88's (that were down to about 50% output Gm) in it. Living in NZ in the early 90's?  those tubes were unobtanium, it simply devoured Chinese KT88's like a sailor drinking beer on his first day of furlough.  Often catastrophic failure, requiring the sacrificial resistor replacement. Max of 6 months (if lucky) all 4 of the quad were 'done', so it was a constant meal of chinese KT88's  the best tubes in it for sound/life ended up being the 'real' Svetlana 6550B but even they got 'cooked' quite frequently. Modern tube production of the KT family then just was not up to the task, and I even today will burn through a set (octet) of 6550/KT88 in 18 months with the amount of use my system gets. (you can guess the throughput of tubes with that level of use on the Radford) So sadly I parted ways with it...  today? I'd have the KT100, KT120 available.   My current system probably runs at 90% of what I had then, VTA's and different speakers. It's my greatest regret for selling of gear but i know at the time it was the 'sensible' thing to do :(

Thanks, @Graywulf,

Re: the SC22P, I've been working with the seller to figure out the issues with it, it had some tube issues, so he just re-tubed it a couple of days ago. Hopefully I'll get it soon. A re-cap sounds like a great idea too. If I go the re-cap on that and/or the STA15, don't worry, I won't scrimp 😄I want it to sound as great as it can. Thanks for your thoughts on tubes. So, if not 'holy grail' tubes, what would you recommend as more accessible tubes? I know Radford revival use JJs. Any thoughts?

I didn't realise the STA 100 was from the 60's, I had figured it may be a similar Radford Renaisance era. Sounds like it really chewed through the tubes!!  

I've downloaded Curved Air, Paris by night on Tidal so I'll give it a try, thanks. I guess the STA100 doesn't turn up too often. Would you get another if one showed up?

I'm really enjoying the MA50's. The sound stage is mind boggling. I don't have any idea how it produces such width and depth... As the coffers fill up again, I'll track down nice replacement tubes.

It really loves my woodside DVAC18 and Woodside WS2 CD player. I'm looking forward to playing with the SC22P into the MA50s. I'll update when I get the chance to play with them.

Thanks again for your input.

On 25/05/2021 at 11:46 PM, Graywulf said:

I'm going to be a wet blanket here, sorry...

my friend and tech has a pair of IMF 80 TLS... He uses a 400wt per SS amp he built himself. Yes I know the speakers are only rated at 80wt. :o

But to give perspective,  end of last year I purchased my first SS amps in over 25yrs. YES I DID, his previous 125 watt (self built no expense spared) LM chip amps with the good texas instrument chips. They were not sufficient to really provide the 'juice' those IMF require. The 125wt LM amps sound pretty good, but the control, depth, and slam the 400wt amp allows the 80's to produce?? WOW!!!

All good. I can't see myself letting go of my Radford Studio Monitors, and I'm already so far gone on my TLS80 project, I won't abandon it now. I'm a die hard B139 man anyway.  I guess over time, I'll find the best match for these speakers and I don't mind if that is solid state. I have a NAD Model 200, I haven't hooked it up for a while, maybe this could provide some of the desired power...

I'm willing to source the best fit, speaker wise, for the STA15 and the MA50s. I've been recommended Tannoy HPD 15inch as an efficient match to the STA15. I may keep an eye out for a pair. Re a matching preamp for the MA50s, I'm going to look for a Woodside SC26. I will post a WTB on this site soon. 

On 13/05/2021 at 3:18 PM, Jehuty said:

Agree with Graywulf, keep the STA15. I always want one because it's got valve rectifier compared to STA25 and to me valve rectifier helps massively in tuning the sound. I listened the STA15 with Tannoy Gold 15, it sounded great. I also listened to STA25 with ESL57, what a great combo. I just wish I'd get a chance to listen to the STA15 with ESL57 someday. Cheers.

I think I'll keep my eyes peeled for some Tannoys for the STA15. I'll need the coffers to top up first after getting the MA50s, STA15 and SC22P...  😄