Posted (edited)

Looking for suggestions on solid state preamps

Preamps are probably my weak point as I haven't compared these too much and I guess I am more familiar with tubes.

Recently heard an older Krell that I thought was very nice compared to a tube McIntosh which I liked too. I haven't liked the Plinius pres at all and the Primares are a bit meh. Very familiar with a few of the newer Audio Research and McIntosh pres which I like but I want to avoid tubes for this one.

I currently have a Schiit Freya and I like all 3 preamp functions it has but the passive is my least favourite.

Probably looking at up to 5k and want standby, volume and input on a remote. A 12v trigger would be very nice and hopefully not a '$2 shop' remote control though I do have a Logitech universal which can be used.

Stereo Coffee is an option though I am a little concerned with a passive so would like to demo one first.

If you think there is anything I should be on the lookout for please let me know

Thanks

****edit - has to be black****

Edited by Bunno77
add

I saw a Halcro dm8 for sale somewhere recently. I think the price on that was $4K USD. Still one of the best pre-amps money can buy at any price.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, gemini07 said:

This should do a great job for you, plus save you lots of $s:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/303902175015

Thank you

It is the wrong colour too haha
Maybe if a black one pops up. Have only heard one of their integrateds I think but it was good.

Edited by Bunno77
1 minute ago, muriwai said:

Are you willing to swap one of your McIntosh pres with a cash adjuster?

I only have a McIntosh MA2275 (integrated amp). Sorry

Just now, muriwai said:

Ok

good luck with the search 

What do you have that you want to swap?

Would consider a swap

i have

a balanced April music

pre amp Stello 

its a dac/pre combo

in silver

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

This guy loves the new Holo preamp. 

Edited by buddyev
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

Maybe doesn’t meet all your requirements, but this is the best solid state preamp @ $5K I’ve heard in my house. Sounds crystal clear as a mountain stream ...the Bakoon 7610 Mk II Satri preamplifier.

428623D5-5DB2-4196-9835-4DD10B95EDCF.jpeg

4B836FB0-C7A5-4823-8433-DC49DF625487.jpeg

Edited by Steve M
  • Like 1

I just bought a Topping A90 (so no remote) from a SNA member to use as a preamp instead of the digital preamp on my streamer. The A90 is the one that measures quite well (ahem) on ASR and various Benchmark HPA owners (there’s your 4K spend) admit on YouTube agree it matches. I have it feeding a Purifi power amp (March p452) into ATC speakers.

It’s just so damn clean. I hear instruments and voices, and the rooms they were recorded in.

Only comparing it to my previous setup, and I’ve also added speaker stands and some acoustic panels. 

But as a newbie I really feel that these new solid state topologies and Bruno’s amp modules make for pure transparency... if that’s your thing.

• Like 1

Looking for a new preamp?

Well, you could do a lot worse than the SST Thoebe.

Both Rocket1961 and I ordered one within a couple of days.

His was black and mine was blue.

The thread is about six postings down but here is the link anyway: 

I am sure that Rocket1961 did a lot of homework before his decisions (as did I!).

Enjoy the search and enjoy the item when it arrives.

Bruce

An Auralic Taurus is a good pre and headphone amp as well.

Mid to high 5Ks will get you a Pass Labs XP20.

That would be pretty much an end game preamp.

On 11/05/2021 at 11:32 AM, buddyev said:

This guy loves the new Holo preamp. 

Didn't know they made anything other than DACs. I like the look with black and copper. Will look into it thanks

On 11/05/2021 at 12:39 PM, Steve M said:

Maybe doesn’t meet all your requirements, but this is the best solid state preamp @ $5K I’ve heard in my house. Sounds crystal clear as a mountain stream ...the Bakoon 7610 Mk II Satri preamplifier.

428623D5-5DB2-4196-9835-4DD10B95EDCF.jpeg

4B836FB0-C7A5-4823-8433-DC49DF625487.jpeg

Thank you, will have a look

On 11/05/2021 at 8:07 PM, JD1973 said:

I just bought a Topping A90 (so no remote) from a SNA member to use as a preamp instead of the digital preamp on my streamer. The A90 is the one that measures quite well (ahem) on ASR and various Benchmark HPA owners (there’s your 4K spend) admit on YouTube agree it matches. I have it feeding a Purifi power amp (March p452) into ATC speakers.

It’s just so damn clean. I hear instruments and voices, and the rooms they were recorded in.

Only comparing it to my previous setup, and I’ve also added speaker stands and some acoustic panels. 

But as a newbie I really feel that these new solid state topologies and Bruno’s amp modules make for pure transparency... if that’s your thing.

Topping keeps being mentioned all the time. So many can't be wrong right? Thanks

On 12/05/2021 at 1:38 PM, BruceS said:

Looking for a new preamp?

Well, you could do a lot worse than the SST Thoebe.

Both Rocket1961 and I ordered one within a couple of days.

His was black and mine was blue.

The thread is about six postings down but here is the link anyway: 

I am sure that Rocket1961 did a lot of homework before his decisions (as did I!).

Enjoy the search and enjoy the item when it arrives.

Bruce

Thanks, I remember looking at SST a very long time ago when I bought my sub through Deep Hz. Will have to go meet him one day

26 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

An Auralic Taurus is a good pre and headphone amp as well.

Mid to high 5Ks will get you a Pass Labs XP20.

That would be pretty much an end game preamp.

Interesting re the Taurus but headphone is a minus for me.
I thought that money would only be an XP 10 but the 20 seems achievable thanks. Pass is one of the few I could consider going silver for especially with a matching power

Speaking of DeepHz Audio, I can recommend from experience the Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE preamp.

Still can't work out why I sold it on, in hindsight it was definitely one of my most astute purchases. 

Can be factory hotrodded for even more of everything that it does so well in standard tune.

• Thanks 1

i like my sanders magtech pre,

can adjust any input for volume matching

and balance from left to right in .5 degrees

,has a very good phono stage

rca and balanced in and out 

so i run rca to power amp balanced to the 2 subs

smooth open and clean

dont see many on the 2nd hand market

but they seem to be snapped up real quick 

about 4k new i think

• Like 1
2 hours ago, colinm1 said:

i like my sanders magtech pre,

can adjust any input for volume matching

and balance from left to right in .5 degrees

,has a very good phono stage

rca and balanced in and out 

so i run rca to power amp balanced to the 2 subs

smooth open and clean

dont see many on the 2nd hand market

but they seem to be snapped up real quick 

about 4k new i think

one of the most neatly built preamp ive ever seen,  uses a digital BB PGA 2310 digital volume controlled chip which has less than 0.5db variation between L&R,  therefore volume control will not degrade like those prehistoric mechanical pots...  Quality will be the same for the life of the unit.   However, don’t don’t use with high efficient speakers if you don’t like increase noise floor, otherwise a very competent device that sets up a nice SQ via a specific Jfet.    

F7B56494-B75F-4887-A963-FF7E08C2AA00.jpeg

FADE5E1F-7A08-4F00-A1F1-AA4905A57DAF.jpeg

E77D7362-D446-4E10-AEFA-244D8FA2EC97.jpeg

• Like 1

Preamps can change the SQ as much as speakers and can be influenced with system synergy, what works here may not work there etc.  you need to try a number of choices to see what works that agrees with your ears, therefore you need to trial a number to see what you like and this includes going valves.

• Like 2

I’ll chuck my two cents in...

I recently purchased the Benchmark HPA4 and was simply blown away with its complete transparency and ultra low noise. It may not be for everyone but this was a complete game changer for me. I was previously running straight from the Benchmark Dac to my ATC actives but now it all sounds so much better in every single way with the preamp. The bass and soundstage was the biggest improvements over what was already awesome. I would never have guessed it would have made such a difference thinking the purist route has to be better... how wrong I was!

I don’t listen to the stereo anymore, I listen to the music now. I might be done with equipment purchases for a while now.

It’s also available in black...

Good luck with the search.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Posted (edited)

@Nickynick have to agree with you, I have also tried to eliminate the preamp in my system, but its always better with the preamp in - whether it’s the Supratek Grange DHT valve or the Bakoon PRE 7610 MK II Satri solid state units I’ve got. It’s interesting to note that the user manual for the 15w Bakoon SCA 7511 Mk III amplifier I have, recommends the use of an active preamp. A cynic might suggest they are just trying to sell their preamplifier, but they know something’s up as it definitely sounds better using the preamp in my experience. Main difference is, the soundstage opens up and everything is more fleshed out and detailed.

The Benchmark HPA4 preamp sounds very promising going by this review:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-benchmark-hpa4-headphone-amp-pre.8141/

Steve

Edited by Steve M
  • Like 2