Lii Audio F15 open baffle pics

Elnido

Been running these in simple mdf open baffle driven by Musical Paradise MP 305.

Right from the getgo these speakers impress.They continue to improve with each session.

Its becoming a problem I dont want to go to work.The expensive transmission lines runaway and hide when these bad boys fire up.

What we have here is a 15 inch midrange speaker of excellent quality and sensitivity.You will need a sub in most rooms.

I pair them with a little 8 inch Rel and it sounds sublime.

Happy to answer questions-fire away.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes, a mate of mine runs F15's. I'm running a combination of Lii Audio Fast-10S fullrange (TOTL pre Crystal-10), Lii Audio W15 woofers, Aurum Cantus G3Si rbbon + Skar Audio VX1ST bullet tweeters in my main system. Just spectacular results and never fail to impress any visitors including audiophile types. That said I did a sound test recently and found a number of null points. One fo these days I'll get around to running EQ in roon after taking proper measurements. A few years off though.

• 1 month later...

Quick and relatively easy baffles.The main baffle is attached to floor base panel by hinges.

The support brace at back is attached by good quality glue.

The drivers are secured from the back with 3 quarter inch self tapping wood screws.

The baffle exhibits no flex at all and has a 15 degree lean back to reduce risk of them toppling over.

I listened to these speakers for 3 months sitting on the carpeted floor and thought they sounded great.

The baffles have improved sound quality immensely.Btw the wood is 1 inch thick and was scavenged from an old desk!

I drive these speakers with Musical Paradise MP-301 latest version.I run JJ KT88s and French made Visseaux driver tubes.

This amp mates perfectly with these speakers.Huge volume at 9 o clock on volume control.Be careful these speakers

go effortlessly loud and sound very clean.

The rest of the digital chain is Denafrips Ares connected to Oppo bluray as transport.I run very old fluid filled purist audio interconnects

from early 2000s when purist was doing great stuff.Cheap chord speaker cable will soon be replaced by Audio Note Lexus.

Happy to answer questions.

Bafflefront.jpg

Bafflerear.jpg

Bafflerear1.jpg

• Like 10

A mate of mine runs the F-15 with Fountek JP3? and upfiring bullet tweeters with good results.  More enjoyable than his Yamaha NS1000's though the NS1000 are a little more revealing overall. He runs a sub to fill in down bottom. 

Lii Audio drivers are awesome.  I run a different combo with Lii Audio Fast-10S fullrange, Lii Audio W15 woofers,  Aurum Cantus G3Si ribbon tweeters + upfiring bullet tweeters in a shallow open back cabinet. Fantastic combo.

Good to see more Lii Audio owners here in Australia  :)

Edited by MattyW

17 hours ago, Elnido said:

Quick and relatively easy baffles.The main baffle is attached to floor base panel by hinges.

The support brace at back is attached by good quality glue.

The drivers are secured from the back with 3 quarter inch self tapping wood screws.

The baffle exhibits no flex at all and has a 15 degree lean back to reduce risk of them toppling over.

I listened to these speakers for 3 months sitting on the carpeted floor and thought they sounded great.

The baffles have improved sound quality immensely.Btw the wood is 1 inch thick and was scavenged from an old desk!

I drive these speakers with Musical Paradise MP-301 latest version.I run JJ KT88s and French made Visseaux driver tubes.

This amp mates perfectly with these speakers.Huge volume at 9 o clock on volume control.Be careful these speakers

go effortlessly loud and sound very clean.

The rest of the digital chain is Denafrips Ares connected to Oppo bluray as transport.I run very old fluid filled purist audio interconnects

from early 2000s when purist was doing great stuff.Cheap chord speaker cable will soon be replaced by Audio Note Lexus.

Happy to answer questions.

Bafflefront.jpg

Bafflerear.jpg

Bafflerear1.jpg

Hi @Elnido can I ask about the dimensions of your baffle. I'm looking to make one myself so would be interested in how how came to the size of baffle and location of driver on the baffle. Thanks

Its 52cm wide and 80cm high.The dimensions were just based on the piece of wood I had to work with.The midpoint of the driver is approx 45cms above the floor.

This is the important dimension as it took into account my relatively low lounge height.So no real science involved I can tell you the speaker sounds fantastic,

my expensive british transmission lines sound boring compared to the Lii Audio.Also 15 degree angle back of front baffle-I think Lii Audio recommended 3 degree

angle back on one of their plans.It all depends on your listening position.

22 hours ago, Elnido said:

Its 52cm wide and 80cm high.The dimensions were just based on the piece of wood I had to work with.The midpoint of the driver is approx 45cms above the floor.

This is the important dimension as it took into account my relatively low lounge height.So no real science involved I can tell you the speaker sounds fantastic,

my expensive british transmission lines sound boring compared to the Lii Audio.Also 15 degree angle back of front baffle-I think Lii Audio recommended 3 degree

angle back on one of their plans.It all depends on your listening position.

Thanks that is very useful information. I've seen people using the betsy baffles and the driver is very low so was wondering if the driver height was still targeting the listeners ears for open baffle applications. They are very upright too, very confusing. have you used any rubber or insulation between the driver and the baffle? thanks.  

On 01/08/2021 at 9:18 AM, thejt said:

Hi @Elnido can I ask about the dimensions of your baffle. I'm looking to make one myself so would be interested in how how came to the size of baffle and location of driver on the baffle. Thanks

A driver with no baffle gets quiter as the frequency goes down (ie loses low frequency response) ..... as the baffle gets bigger, this effect diminishes.

All speakers need some sort of filter to make it play flat (ie. to lift the falling bass response) .... the size of the baffle just becomes part of that correction filter.

So if you had a small baffle.... you would need to lift the bass more (using another way, eg. a crossover/response shaping network).... than if you had a larger baffle.

So the point is that there will be no "correct" or "optimum" size.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So a Quick update i put together the F15s with the biancos in a "telefunken/winged (whatever you call it LOL) baffle. I also made a passive XO (for sh!ts and giggles). These definitely sound fantastic and pretty good bass extension and presence. I will fine tune a bit further as the F15s sound (ever so slightly) sharp on certain songs.

and for le picsPXL_20220319_173105556.thumb.jpg.d09c33b1663614bb892d1cd4200dc06a.jpgPXL_20220319_173022015.thumb.jpg.943ecdac9fd3dde463e6887a80681d3b.jpgPXL_20220319_172939407.thumb.jpg.4bddac1a62c69ae93e7566a25391afc9.jpgPXL_20220319_172908394.thumb.jpg.f04c0759bb5acf7be0c001304952d549.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 3

59 minutes ago, Janus77 said:

does the sound change much if you have the wings folded in our out, i guess baffle step loss is less impactful?  Guessing you tuned the passive crossovers with the wings out?

Yes and yes, definitely a LOT more bass/midbass with the wings folded out and i tried making the passive XO's based on that (bare with me as its not 100% perfect)

my goal was to attempt to not go the  DSP route as much as possible

They are great speakers for sure.I have a pair of f15s in open baffle.

I found they have a bit of treble bite when toed in to the listening position.

I cured this simply by having the speakers fire straight down the room.

The speakers scale well.By that I mean they will give good results on 2 watt valve amps but will give better results on more powerful

push pull valve amps.They also sound quite good using solid state amps.

I think if youre intending using low powered triodes a subwoofer is almost essential.The triodes sound magic and have plenty of

volume however in my opinion they dont have the clout to get the woofer singing.With a sub the balance is restored.

• Like 1

On 27/03/2022 at 11:24 AM, Elnido said:

They are great speakers for sure.I have a pair of f15s in open baffle.

I found they have a bit of treble bite when toed in to the listening position.

I cured this simply by having the speakers fire straight down the room.

The speakers scale well.By that I mean they will give good results on 2 watt valve amps but will give better results on more powerful

push pull valve amps.They also sound quite good using solid state amps.

I think if youre intending using low powered triodes a subwoofer is almost essential.The triodes sound magic and have plenty of

volume however in my opinion they dont have the clout to get the woofer singing.With a sub the balance is restored.

Aye, I've found Lii's pair beautifully with low wattage Pass designed amps. Absolutely gorgeous when you stuff the amp full of Duelund JDM copper foils and Duelund wiring throughout the signal path. Seductive tonality is how I'd describe the sound but with some real bit and detail thrown into the mix when called for.

On 23/03/2022 at 1:10 AM, mechavore884 said:

So a Quick update i put together the F15s with the biancos in a "telefunken/winged (whatever you call it LOL) baffle. I also made a passive XO (for sh!ts and giggles). These definitely sound fantastic and pretty good bass extension and presence. I will fine tune a bit further as the F15s sound (ever so slightly) sharp on certain songs.

and for le picsPXL_20220319_173105556.thumb.jpg.d09c33b1663614bb892d1cd4200dc06a.jpgPXL_20220319_173022015.thumb.jpg.943ecdac9fd3dde463e6887a80681d3b.jpgPXL_20220319_172939407.thumb.jpg.4bddac1a62c69ae93e7566a25391afc9.jpgPXL_20220319_172908394.thumb.jpg.f04c0759bb5acf7be0c001304952d549.jpg

I'm finding these things quite beautiful. Really lovely job you did there. Brass screws would add to the look  ;)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Has anyone compared the Betsy style barrel baffles with just straight up sheet of rectangular ply/MDF. Steve Deckert swears by the barrels but then you have Lii selling the Lionardis rectangular designs. 

I also noticed that the Decware design has the driver mounted to the rear of a very thick baffle that has a slight curvature outwards toward the front of the baffle. Would this give an ever so slight horn loading effect 

I've got no idea about these things but have noticed these differences.

8 hours ago, Anton Mullet said:

Has anyone compared the Betsy style barrel baffles with just straight up sheet of rectangular ply/MDF.

Yes.... it starts to make a difference where the curve (vs the square) is a significant portion of a wavelength ... so like >>600Hz.... and stop where the driver cone takes over as a horn (so like 1.5khz).     If designed well, either way would work ok.... but in theory I'd go with a "barrel".

8 hours ago, Anton Mullet said:

Would this give an ever so slight horn loading effect

No, none.  it's too small.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/02/2022 at 5:50 PM, mackem said:

Just finished mine 1 sheet of ply cut into 6 haven’t fired them up yet bought from the original Lii audio on AliExpress not from Lii songB7FADE6A-69CA-412D-BA61-0459E97E7A7F.thumb.jpeg.f696a117bb864fb045444917120c053b.jpeg

4387BE8C-3525-4483-A7A6-05088DD004F0.jpeg

49A78CB5-44E0-4832-9272-0D36F4A4A64F.jpeg

Tempting project !
How did u decide on the size and shape of the baffle?
Is this based on the Decware plans ?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Mine are not F15's, but Lii Fast 8s. Baffle is a cross between the winged type shown by the OP and a barrel shape. Well, it was once a barrel after all lol. I found that no baffle step correction was needed. Construction was a tad complex, because the barrel was first deconstructed and then the staves reshaped to form a tighter curve, so it was a bit like making a new barrel from scratch. It was a bit of an experiment as I didn't know what to expect from the use of an old oak shiraz barrel. Was it worth the result? Hell yeah! The best sounding speakers I've every heard. The bonus is that after 4 years, there is still a distinct shiraz aroma in the room as I left the backs raw! They are easily driven by a home-made 2-3W Gerald Curtis 6CL6 amp that runs as a pentode without any negative feedback from the output transformers. The two 6CL6 high-bandwidth pentode video tubes have enough gain in this circuit to take a line level input and amplify it quite respectably. It drives these and the two subs without any problem in what is quite a large room.

I've added some old Richard Allen tweeters, upward firing and crossed with a single 2uF cap. They work very well. 

I have some W15 woofers, so I plan to make a pair of Betsy  type baffles for those sometime soon. I have a pair of 250W Yung plate amps to drive those. 

DFA73149-4E5F-4914-981A-083D987E67B2.thumb.jpeg.f8f845ce88702e18c5dba01a0152bb67.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 2