NAD purchase. Tell me if I'm crazy

Hi Stereo netters

I just bought myself a NAC CI 980. Not exactly sure why? I guess I thought it was a decent price and that I might find a good use for it.

I just want to confirm whether my logic (that brought me to this purchase) is sound.

I currently own a Yamaha WXC-50. I also plan on buying a new A/V receiver that will have two zones (possibly a 2020 model Yamaha but maybe something else depending on what gets released in the next quarter).

These devices would then deliver music to a living room (no TV), a family room (with TV and either 7.1 or 5.1.2) and a small courtyard/alfresco area.

From my understanding I can hook the WXC-50 to zone one of the NAD, and zone 2 of the receiver to zone two of the NAD. 

Can I then hook up the remaining NAD channels to the surrounds of the main receiver zone? Would this deliver a superior sound?

I'm looking to get something like Monitor Audio bronze (50s or 100s) or B&W (606 s2 anniversary) bookshelf speakers for the theatre and matching surrounds and some weatherproof outdoor speakers. Contemplating in ceiling speakers for the living room and atmos though so these would both be prime candidates for the NAD.

Appreciate any frank feedback and thoughts.

https://au.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/multi-room_audio/wxc-50/index.html

https://nadelectronics.com.au/product/ci-980-multi-channel-amplifier/

Cheers in advance

Carl

I think the answer to your question really needs more info, i.e. which AVR?

In general should be possible to do as long as there is one power channel per speaker.

I read recently in Audio Science review that quite a few recent Denon AVR's measure well. 

image.thumb.png.73f2dcf7b90d6695d002029edcc60b16.png

Audio Electronics Review and Measurements Index | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

have fun good luck.

• Like 2

Cheers @warweary wow. I had no idea about that site. I fear I'm about to get sucked down another rabbit hole.

The Denon's do rate highly everywhere I look. I was going to hold out to see if Yamaha can come back to the table as I have some other musiccast gear.

But something like the x3700h does sound pretty decent.

And I'm assuming that anything more powerful is just an overkill for the front speakers I'm looking at (say Monitor Audio Bronze 100 with the 150 Centre).

1 hour ago, djackal said:

And I'm assuming that anything more powerful is just an overkill for the front speakers I'm looking at (say Monitor Audio Bronze 100 with the 150 Centre).

I wouldn't assume that.  Depends on ur listening preferences.  Fairly often bookstanders are difficult to drive to high loudness, relative to floor standers with the same drivers  - something to do with box size.  More power is never a bad thing because typically the more power means the larger the range of quality output from the amplifier in the avr.  If the avr/amp is stuggling to reach ur preferred loudness it'll clip and distort and sound harsh.

There's a few items in the classifieds that could go well in your setup.

FS: KEF Q350 - Classifieds - Stereo, Home Cinema & Headphones - StereoNET

EOI: KEF LS50 x3 (LCR) - Classifieds - Stereo, Home Cinema & Headphones - StereoNET

FS: Krix KDX main bookshelf speakers “Price Reduced” - Classifieds - Stereo, Home Cinema & Headphones - StereoNET

FS: Krix Phoenix MK 2 Floorstanding Speakers (Price Drop) - Classifieds - Stereo, Home Cinema & Headphones - StereoNET

FS: Yamaha RXV2085 9.2 channel Amp - Classifieds - Stereo, Home Cinema & Headphones - StereoNET

FS: Pioneer SC-LX86 9.2 Home Theatre receiver SCLX86 - Classifieds - Stereo, Home Cinema & Headphones - StereoNET

There's a few ideas to get a feel for the market.

Consider floorstanders for ur front left and right speakers in the main system, really does make a difference.  Some say the front centre should match front left/right.

I reckon that centre channel should be solid on voices as that's where voices are often sent to by the avr.

I hope that's not too much. Enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1