Posted (edited)

I have expected a while for something to come. after all classe has a long heritage of this and with their last ssp800 well and truly passed but was a good piece... now in safe hands of sound united who cares for the brand and B&W as well with denon / marantz ability to turn out top end av processors i hope this helps their cause. read recently care off felty on avforums that,

"Dave Nauber from Classé has confirmed a new AV processor and multichannel amp is ‘coming soon’, c/o a review of the Delta pre/mono amps in the latest issue of HFN."

some will know Dave as he for years has helped classe/B&W community and doesnt tell porkies....

so though this is 3rd hand and dont have access to that review, but see no reason to not beleive what it said... can only imagine they have held back a flagship type av processor with likes of hdmi 2.1 in a complete mess. i do hope given denon and marantz track record with likes of DTS-X pro and such that they do decent justce with this av pre pro including not only processing but also things like eq and such which were bare bones basic in earlier gen classe product.

I do expect pricing of these will be astronomic as was previous classe product... sound united now has a local office and taken over local distribution... so hopefully they bear some consideration to things like price .... :D that it is not totally outrageous ... :D 

anyways leaving this thread here incase more news and info comes to hand in due course ...

Edited by betty boop
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, betty boop said:

I have expected a while for something to come. after all classe has a long heritage of this and with their last ssp800 well and truly passed but was a good piece... now in safe hands of sound united who cares for the brand and B&W as well with denon / marantz ability to turn out top end av processors i hope this helps their cause. read recently care off felty on avforums that,

"Dave Nauber from Classé has confirmed a new AV processor and multichannel amp is ‘coming soon’, c/o a review of the Delta pre/mono amps in the latest issue of HFN."

some will know Dave as he for years has helped classe/B&W community and doesnt tell porkies....

so though this is 3rd hand and dont have access to that review, but see no reason to not beleive what it said... can only imagine they have held back a flagship type av processor with likes of hdmi 2.1 in a complete mess. i do hope given denon and marantz track record with likes of DTS-X pro and such that they do decent justce with this av pre pro including not only processing but also things like eq and such which were bare bones basic in earlier gen classe product.

I do expect pricing of these will be astronomic as was previous classe product... sound united now has a local office and taken over local distribution... so hopefully they bear some consideration to things like price .... :D that it is not totally outrageous ... :D 

anyways leaving this thread here incase more news and info comes to hand in due course ...

I hope your in the ballpark Al ; looking at the price of the last mk2 sigma pre pro and its fully differential circuitry on its front L/R  and the dearer all out all channel differential /fully balanced design of the SSP800 on its 7.1 chassis I am bracing for a shock :) Could this be a replacement for your AVCA1HD ?

That said competition is getting hot at the very top which is good ; found a post on audiogon that may need a pinch of salt ?

Classe will release an ultra high end HT processor to replace the SSP 800 in 2020, but it will be very expensive and it’s expected to be a cost-no-object design gear. I’ve heard from the insider within Classe HQ that it will be expected to be priced around $18k and up to $20k ish. And it will be more polished than the SSP 800 or the Sigma SSP. It will be equipped with a top notch auto room correction calibration, don’t know what it’s going to be at this point and it’s supposed to excel in both stereo music and surroounds for movies and will be significantly better than the SSP 800. It will be a major step up sonically from the SSP 800 and this will crush the Lyngdorf MP-50 and most other high end processors. Today Classe is under new ownership (Sound United) and they will decide to equip Classe’s future HT processors with a top notch auto room correction calibration.

Upgrade from Classe SSP 800 processor | Audiogon Discussion Forum

• Like 1
10 hours ago, cwt said:

I hope your in the ballpark Al ; looking at the price of the last mk2 sigma pre pro and its fully differential circuitry on its front L/R  and the dearer all out all channel differential /fully balanced design of the SSP800 on its 7.1 chassis I am bracing for a shock :) Could this be a replacement for your AVCA1HD ?

That said competition is getting hot at the very top which is good ; found a post on audiogon that may need a pinch of salt ?

Upgrade from Classe SSP 800 processor | Audiogon Discussion Forum

Hi cwt yes classe and the big mighty denon avp-a1hda were in a class of own I reckon. Indeed a lot of competition .. but a few these days in top end  are glorified computers I feel ... the anthem processor for instance  i was shocked to inside is pretty much avr with amps taken out. arcam/Jbl and Marantz, muse are few ground up dedicated processors with focus on audio.

And there’s room for more I think focussing on audio specifically like the big denon or classe did back in day ! But yes I hope price with classe doesn’t come in costing same as a family car :D 

If I was shopping in that league I would find it very hard to look at anything other than Trinnov.  They have kept the Altitude at the head of the pack for many years now and as such have an outstanding record of maintaining their product, which Classe have not done with their previous pre-pros.  And then Storm Audio would temp me before Classe.

I say this with my sole focus on HT.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, betty boop said:

Hi cwt yes classe and the big mighty denon avp-a1hda were in a class of own I reckon. Indeed a lot of competition .. but a few these days in top end  are glorified computers I feel ... the anthem processor for instance  i was shocked to inside is pretty much avr with amps taken out. arcam/Jbl and Marantz, muse are few ground up dedicated processors with focus on audio.

And there’s room for more I think focussing on audio specifically like the big denon or classe did back in day ! But yes I hope price with classe doesn’t come in costing same as a family car :D 

Yes ; must say I think heritage plays a role here when its been built up over time and Denon coming from Japan with their top of the line and dual diff design too is hard to improve on in the short term ,

Trinnov and Storm have much to love including room  eq and unbelievable configurability [if needed]  but I for instance have seen nothing about the altitudes having full balanced circuitry throughput - are they single ended converted or no ?  And the storm mk2 is about to get speaker remapping ; trinnov has had this how long :$

Yes i dont mind at all losing some features to concentrate on things you need and Ime lucky I dont need a usb-b port for audio from my laptop 😅 of course Classe are past masters at 2ch with their pre pro's thats what the $ are paying for at this level you could say..

• Like 1
3 hours ago, lucmor444 said:

If I was shopping in that league I would find it very hard to look at anything other than Trinnov.  They have kept the Altitude at the head of the pack for many years now and as such have an outstanding record of maintaining their product, which Classe have not done with their previous pre-pros.  And then Storm Audio would temp me before Classe.

hi lucmor, the trinnov yes excellent record of support.... 2nd to none id say in responsiveness, but does also cost the same as a family car and basically a computer under the skin. i have absolutely no doubt its a superb piece... however i do hope the classe coming is a player in a different space... lower in price bracket and not the computer under skin, but infact an audio piece at heart(think jbl/arcam, acurus  muse, marantz etc), ie the dedicated processors - non computers ...which is what the classe delta ssp800 was - this also had a great track record of maintaining their product. I recall clearly that released side by side with the denon AVP in same time, same price bracket. both brands as happens supported their owners solidly with both hard ware and software over the some 8 years(i was owner myself of the AVP) from 2008 till until  2016 when 4k uhd landed. unfortunately classe demise happened from about then releasing only an entry level sigma ssp at that point.. nothing in delta SSP range to follow ... and the brand itself closing up doors in 2017... it wasnt till sound united bought the brand in 2018 that even likes of Dave nauber were re hired ... 2ch has been focus of brand to resurrect till now... hopefully the SSP hinted by Dave does indeed follow to complete the 2ch and AV focus of the brand...

sound united with marantz has continued on support for their flagships eg the av8802 i bought prior to launch of 4k uhd and low behold they provided a $372 hardware update for 4k uhd and it supported it faultlessly, also supported for software doing not only all audio processing formats possible but even providing options likes of auro3d not many other brands managed. yes given their non computer and dedicated processor basis there comes a point the chasis cant be expanded upon and i for instance updated recently for one more channel and full dts-X pro capability the previous flagship didnt support. the current flagship received software updates for this and does processing the likes of few brands manage in flexibility including can you beleive trinnov ! which will provide the support at some stage am sure...but sound united seem to do a pretty good job of things. same goes with hdmi 2.1 their flagship is to receive a hardware update for this i understand in june - july. annulment to come this month... so some synergies i think continuing on support along vein of denon avp flagship or even the classe ssp800 prior

3 hours ago, lucmor444 said:

I say this with my sole focus on HT.

totally understand this ... there are a few options around thank fully these days... and more can only be more welcome I say :) 

• Like 1
  • Administrators

I know nothing about this new piece yet (am enquiring), but do we know at all if it is Classe engineering heritage, or Sound United and therefore D&M organs and bones?

• Like 1

I have the CP800 v2 and the CA5300 5 channel power amp and I really rate them. The power amp is crazy gutsy and the CP800 is very pleasant to listen to. I run it off as a HT bypass off an Anthem D2v and it performs admirably.

I'm not sure about the heritage of the internals with the new designs but the uplift on price for the Delta pre from the CP-800v2 it replaced was insane. The only upgrades appeared a better DAC and an onboard phono input (oh, and it's black). Not really enough to justify the $10k+ extra.

I can't imagine what a next generation SSP800 would clock in at.

• Like 1

I get the attraction of a new Classe prepro but I fear it will be priced similarly to a small family car based on their previous high pricing/prestige brand status. 

Always good to have the choice but would be inclined to separate the duties of a HT processor and a 2 channel prepro.  That way you have at least the option of updating the HT pro if new features come along that aren't supported.

If I was shopping for a new HT prepro I would be very interested in importing a Monoprice HTP-1 (I currently have a Datasat RS20i which I have no intention of moving on from it but it would be nice if they had undertaken one final update to it so it could do 9.1.6).   I then speculate you would still have a lot of money left for a 2 channel unit before the combined total cost was similar to the Classe.

• Like 1
On 10/05/2021 at 9:04 PM, betty boop said:

computer under the skin

I have no trouble with criticism of Trinnov or Storm for cost but I have trouble with criticizing them for being 'computer under the skin'. If their record of support and responsiveness is superb and the equipment provides excellent room calibration and sound, what does it matter what is under the skin?

14 minutes ago, AFB said:

I have no trouble with criticism of Trinnov or Storm for cost but I have trouble with criticizing them for being 'computer under the skin'. If their record of support and responsiveness is superb and the equipment provides excellent room calibration and sound, what does it matter what is under the skin?

not sure why see it as a criticism AFB. they just are computers under the skin and seem to cost a heck of a lot :) its just another category of processor vs other categories i mentioned .... I was just hoping the classe doesnt come in as a computer under the skin and costing the same as a storm or tronnov :) 

• Administrators

It's the 'computer under the skin' that makes them so powerful and capable of what they can do. IME they're damn reliable too, and probably easier to fix and get parts for down the track?

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Marc said:

It's the 'computer under the skin' that makes them so powerful and capable of what they can do. IME they're damn reliable too, and probably easier to fix and get parts for down the track?

Yes ; being a "computer under the skin" goes hand in hand with their capabilities like diverting channels for different layouts ; adding extra xlr modules for even more channels . This means paying for all the r&d writing the reams of coding for all this .. 

A more traditional design with fewer features that you may choose to foregoe - like electronic crossovers for an active system - is where savings can be made - will be interesting to see which direction Classe goes - not with an i3 motherboard I suspect 😉

Found this about refurbishment ;

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-questions-for-flagship-processors-trinnov-storm-jbl-lyngdorf-datasat.21093/post-704350

When some brands charge like a ... for just a new decoding codec like datasat  did when viable ; its another factor to consider :) And not to forget DLBM - free is good . 

Edited by cwt