Full closed back headphone set up advise.

Greetings all.

Life changes and my hifi doesn’t get the use it deserves. We have a house full of Budgies and bashing out high SPL’s is not good for them. The hifi lives in the lounge and the wife doesn’t always appreciate my musical choices and I tend to like listening late at night, not perfect for neighbourly love.

Anyhow it is time to move to headphones. No matter what the trade off in ultimate sound quality closed back is the road forward for me, I can listen when , where and as loud as I like without interfering with the wife reading or watching TV or causing the Budgies a nervous breakdown.

I have a squeeze box for streaming and a Rega Saturn R which can be used as a DAC. Lots of Rock and pop for me, Counting Crows, Kate Bush, Natalie Merchant, Hendrix et al.

Total spend wants to be around 2k, less is always better. Here in Adelaide there isn’t a dedicated head fi style shop and some of my choices aren’t available for audition.

No interest in audiophile recordings sounding fantastic and everything else crap, I am looking for a broad church that lets me enjoy music, not if Elvis dropped his burger at 2.33 minutes into Suspicious Minds. Bass is important, with detail , tone and taught. Definitely not sharp up top but with some sparkle and shimmer. 

So, here are some options I am considering. 

Headphones.  Denon ahd 7200

Fostex 610

Bowers and Wilkins P9

Beyerdynamic T5

In terms of an amplifier or combined amp/DAC or even all in one transportable.

Toping A90

Toping A30 Pro

Toping DX7 Pro

Astell and Kern?

No doubt there will be a hundred conflicting views, that is half the fun. Very happy to consider all your options, known synergistic combinations, better alternatives etc,etc.

Cheers,

Hugh

I have two open and two close back phones. These in 32ohms and 250ohm. I use them when wife is in the room or on the plane or train. Changed the ear cups on one pair to the most luxurious soft types. 

Great sound, cheap and easy to drive. 

97B9286D-3B6E-4EC0-9E3F-E6CE4DA4B202.jpeg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

I have two open and two close back phones. These in 32ohms and 250ohm. I use them when wife is in the room or on the plane or train. Changed the ear cups on one pair to the most luxurious soft types. 

Great sound, cheap and easy to drive. 

97B9286D-3B6E-4EC0-9E3F-E6CE4DA4B202.jpeg

Indeed MW, they have been on the Radar as well. Pretty sure they come in differing load characteristics from 32 ohms up.

13 minutes ago, davm said:

Looks like Addicted to Audio have a shop in Adelaide. They carry a large range of headphones, so could be worth a visit.

Cheers davm,  I intend visiting them next week with a bit of luck.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ooogh said:

Is there any noticeable change in character / quality of delivery with the higher impedance model of the 770’s Mr Houston?

For 2k I'd be aiming more DAC/amp 600-700 and rest on cans. Aim higher than a DT770.

Sony MDR-Z1R?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ooogh said:

Indeed MW, they have been on the Radar as well. Pretty sure they come in differing load characteristics from 32 ohms up.

Cheers davm,  I intend visiting them next week with a bit of luck.

Powered by my DIY chip HP amps i think the 250ohm sound better. 

• Like 1

The OP and I are in a similar boat (no budgies here, though), so I'm just going to sit here and absorb for the most part. 

I will say I have heard things about the Shure SRH1540 that suggest they may fit the 'everything sounds decent' profile?

• Like 2

Underrated headphone the Shure.

Good option. Budget dictates what the recommendations are though. Some noteable models in approx descending price;

Verite Closed

Stellia

LCD-XC

Celestee

MDR-Z1R

DCA Aeon 2

Beyer T5 Gen 3

Elegia

There are more, im just forgetting.

Edited by Bengineer
  • Like 2

Beyer T5P can be driven out of most everything. No need for an amp. Many closed headphones are low impedance. 

At the absolute budget end, I have a beat up pair of first generation T5P that are unlikely to get any meaningful use. 

at the top end, the focal Stella are warmer than neutral reference but can be very easily driven. Again, don’t really need to blow money on an amp. But unless you find one second hand; way over your budget. The Elegia is a much more approachable price point. 

Have you considered IEM’s ?

Edited by Dr_Kevy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, davm said:

Looks like Addicted to Audio have a shop in Adelaide. They carry a large range of headphones, so could be worth a visit.

^^ This!!! I’ve found A2A will always look after you. 

• Like 1

Although I don't 'headphone' often I enjoy the Meze 99 Classics when I do. I did the 'clean the bass' mod from Reddit and that was worthwhile and straightforward.

They are very easy to drive and will work well just from a 'phone or portable player. That's not something I do except when travelling. My desktop Meier Audio Corda JAZZ-ff amp was custom modified by the designer for no cost. He also does DAC/amps as well.

For travelling I use an oldie but goodie—the very tiny Headstage Arrow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, twofires said:

I will say I have heard things about the Shure SRH1540 that suggest they may fit the 'everything sounds decent' profile?

I have one and can totally agree...

I am in the journey of owning / buying back all Headphones that I liked in my journey.

Shure 1540 is an exceptional product. Its not talked about is one thing but is an excellent headphone.

Having said that : Under $2k

Beyerdynamic T5 G3 are quite an awesome set of headphones.

Sony MDR Z1R has always been exceptional

Shure 1540

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dr_Kevy said:

Beyer T5P can be driven out of most everything. No need for an amp. Many closed headphones are low impedance. 

At the absolute budget end, I have a beat up pair of first generation T5P that are unlikely to get any meaningful use. 

at the top end, the focal Stella are warmer than neutral reference but can be very easily driven. Again, don’t really need to blow money on an amp. But unless you find one second hand; way over your budget. The Elegia is a much more approachable price point. 

Have you considered IEM’s ?

Hi Dr Kevy.  

No IEM’s for me, just not my cup of tea having things stuck in my ear.

3 hours ago, Dr_Kevy said:

^^ This!!! I’ve found A2A will always look after you. 

I will venture down there this week and give things a whirl.

6 hours ago, davm said:

12 minutes ago, Ooogh said:

I will venture down there this week and give things a whirl.

Just make sure you have a bit of an idea before you go.

The Adelaide branch doesn’t actually have anyone particularly knowledgeable about headphones. It does have a good range of low-to-mid tier HP options, but very few amps, though.

Also keep in mind that it’s “Focal, Focal, Focal!”

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sakabatou said:

Just make sure you have a bit of an idea before you go.

The Adelaide branch doesn’t actually have anyone particularly knowledgeable about headphones. It does have a good range of low-to-mid tier HP options, but very few amps, though.

Also keep in mind that it’s “Focal, Focal, Focal!”

Thanks Sakabatou.
Fear not , I have been playing around with hifi for a long, long time. I do my homework and trust my ears.

I’m unfamiliar with the Adelaide store but suggest calling ahead to see what they have in store. 

Focal have some nice options but are not the only one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ooogh said:

Fear not , I have been playing around with hifi for a long, long time. I do my homework and trust my ears.

I suspect, then, that you might appreciate the subtleties that a dedicated headphone amp brings to the party....

A2A Adelaide is definitely worth the trip.  Besides the Focal range, they have some Audeze, Sony MDR Z1R, HiFiman and possibly Fostex (from memory).  And they are very accommodating.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DrTobiasFunke said:

I suspect, then, that you might appreciate the subtleties that a dedicated headphone amp brings to the party....

A2A Adelaide is definitely worth the trip.  Besides the Focal range, they have some Audeze, Sony MDR Z1R, HiFiman and possibly Fostex (from memory).  And they are very accommodating.  

Absolutely Dr Funke. I am a true believer in amplifier/ speaker synergy and I don’t think I have ever had a system where the amps didn’t cost more than the speakers! From 8 Watts to 300 I have made merry.  I have no doubt the same holds true when revealing the true capabilities of any given set of headphones.

• Like 2

The Sony MDR-Z1R are excellent  for the genres you like, drums are amazing. If you can get bengineer to split his package deal you’d have an awesome pair of cans at a great price

they are easy to drive so plenty or options will suit 

Edited by RePete
  • Like 1

On 10/05/2021 at 7:46 PM, RePete said:

The Sony MDR-Z1R are excellent  for the genres you like, drums are amazing. If you can get bengineer to split his package deal you’d have an awesome pair of cans at a great price

they are easy to drive so plenty or options will suit 

Bought my MDR-Z1R from Pete and can concur on the sound (thanks Pete, by the way)! I think they would fit your preferred sound as you describe it. Really comfy as well... like, really comfy. 

Mainly I am chiming in here because "whether Elvis dropped his burger at 2.33 minutes into Suspicious Minds" is absolutely lol-tastic and I want to commend you!

• Like 2