John Darko Head Amp & DAC Weights

3 minutes ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

I walked up and down every aisle in Bunnings today, yea verily even unto the Gardening and Outdoor Plants section.

I could not find one of these. Which aisle?

In Adelaide, aisle 12, bottom shelf, halfway down

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, lemarquis said:

After hearing all about Eddy and also fearing the weights might make the case sink, I decided to apply a bamboo sandwich. With the right finish it could even look like a piece of vintage gear :) 

IMG_20210516_181457.jpg

Not the Eddy? Eddy Current Suppression Ring?

Edit: Not to be confused with Decoder Ring

Edited by bob_m_54
update
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

Darn! I didn't walk that far! A pox on these one-offs and special items.

At least Aldi put their middle aisle stuff in the catalogues!

Could be wrong , but I think they are a regular item

7 minutes ago, michaelp2 said:

I remember Eddy Current - he had that big hit - "Electric Ave" ......yeah Mon

Blame it on the rum and coffee beans...

Edited by bob_m_54
  • Like 1

Might give Eddy a spin.

Had a good listen last night to some familiar tracks. These have a pretty dense soundstage and a lot going on, including a good smattering of delicate touches. Whenever I change something I use these reference tracks to do something of a box-ticking exercise. Is all the detail there? Anything new I missed? How does that lovely chord sound now? etc. etc.

All boxes ticked. Am I sure it's not worse? Yep. Is it any better? So far I seem to feel it is but time will tell. Worst case scenario is it makes no difference but if for the sake of less than $7 and a bit of tinkering on a wintry weekend I convince myself it's actually better.. who cares. The customer is always right :D 

Edited by lemarquis
  • Like 1

harks back to days of yore, brick on top of Quad 405, vast improvement in soundstage, bass more coheasive, mids more open, more air in top end = delusion squared, does actually sound better

i know, the question will be asked, what kind of brick gives the best result?, red brick, tumbled edge, clinker, concrete, hebel, as with all tweaks, trial and error, your preference

32 minutes ago, wen said:

phono with special unobtanium stone weight and critically allinged crystal, audio nirvana

1621160767346794342035.jpg

Sorry - no amount of 'snake oil' is going to make a NAD PP2e sound fabulous!  :lol:

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

I walked up and down every aisle in Bunnings today, yea verily even unto the Gardening and Outdoor Plants section.

I could not find one of these. Which aisle?

From memory, the store I looked in had them in the "floor protection" section.  Some were in plastic blister packs hanging at eye level, and others were in the cubicles below at floor level.  If you need help ask where the door-stops are. 

3 hours ago, wen said:

harks back to days of yore, brick on top of Quad 405, vast improvement in soundstage, bass more coheasive, mids more open, more air in top end = delusion squared, does actually sound better

I hardly think  £10.00 note will make that much difference...

2 hours ago, audiofeline said:

From memory, the store I looked in had them in the "floor protection" section.  Some were in plastic blister packs hanging at eye level, and others were in the cubicles below at floor level.  If you need help ask where the door-stops are. 

Stores can vary I think, I had to ask on Oxley up here as I was looking in the isle with floor protectors and other door stopy things, and they were 3 isles up from there :wacko:

10 hours ago, wen said:

You sound slightly jaded. I'm guessing it didn't work out for you 🤣

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steffen said:

Has anyone tried playing The Doors with those door stops resting on their equipment?

It does have some benefit: "Don't you love her as she's walking out the door" ....

1 hour ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

Oh. You're talking about those doorstop weighty things at Bunnings. I was looking for one of these:

91627951f4b38646fb43ca376535e287--turntable-science-fiction.jpg.774060c6577828dd5abdb2c90a130020.jpg

I think it may be a special order item at Bunnings. Have you looked in the bathroom vanities section?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

Oh. You're talking about those doorstop weighty things at Bunnings. I was looking for one of these:

91627951f4b38646fb43ca376535e287--turntable-science-fiction.jpg.774060c6577828dd5abdb2c90a130020.jpg

3 hours ago, Steffen said:

I think it may be a special order item at Bunnings. Have you looked in the bathroom vanities section?

I saw one when I bought this.

20210517_063108.jpg.7a833f65e74094820719addc270fc937.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

You can tell that whoever took this shot was quite experienced in these matters, even the obligatory foot is included :)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Steffen said:

You can tell that whoever took this shot was quite experienced in these matters, even the obligatory foot is included :)

It's a record player.  LP records are one foot across (12"). 

• Haha 3