John Darko Head Amp & DAC Weights

1 hour ago, Steffen said:

I expected this much, and I think the biggest issue is the price tag. If these things sold for $70 or $170 instead of $7 the true-and-I-swear-on-my-mothers-grave difference would be substantial.

Not from myself. I'd still hear no discernible difference.

You might think otherwise even though you would be mistaken.

14 hours ago, lemarquis said:

So far I'm not sure if it sounds better... but I think it might. Certainly doesn't sound worse so there's a Friday afternoon well spent :) 

I can see it might be different, but are you sure it's not worse? What about the disturbance to the eddy currents that the manufacturer has optimised through careful component layout?

Shouldn't the weights be non-conductive/non-magnetic?

I think these things are a resin filled thin shell, at a guess.

Edit: seems I'm wrong, the site says material is steel.

Edited by muon*

22 hours ago, Silver Audiophile said:

Dampening or dissipation of mechanical resonance is so important for better sound. Whatever your budget affords, it is worth a try. High end audio manufacturers go to great lengths to minimise resonance, because of its deleterious effects on sound quality.

Various manufacturers tackle this problem with different solutions.

3 hours ago, GregWormald said:

I can see it might be different, but are you sure it's not worse? 

So far so good.

What about the disturbance to the eddy currents that the manufacturer has optimised through careful component layout?

Who's Eddy?

Shouldn't the weights be non-conductive/non-magnetic?

No idea.

So it appears we now have 2 schools of thought. The one says they do nothing, the other says they are detrimental.

The plot thickens :popcorn:

2 hours ago, lemarquis said:

So it appears we now have 2 schools of thought. The one says they do nothing, the other says they are detrimental.

The plot thickens :popcorn:

It's quite conceivable that it may help with components that have thin case panels where vibration could be absorbed then transferred to circuit components.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

That's right, it's "damping" as in, to damp the vibrations.. Dampening is what you do when applying a liquid to the item... Thank you @Steffen

To be fair, according to the dictionary “to dampen” has both meanings.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Argh - crap. All you guys found the Bunnings door stops. I looked into these 2-3 years back for turntable feet. I went to drill one and it wasn't solid all the way through inside - it was layered. Also, there are variations from one to the other so no 4 measure or look the same. You guys need to be careful as creep from the deadweight will cause your top covers to permanently bend over time. Heat induces creep behaviour more. A constant load and coupled with heat causes permanent strain in metals over time. If you're really wanting the best then this Bunnings item would be even be better. It even has vent holes to radiate the heat upwards. 😁

https://www.bunnings.com.au/brighton-masonry-390-x-190-x-190mm-full-besser-block_p3451359

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Steffen said:

To be fair, according to the dictionary “to dampen” has both meanings.

Dictionary smictionary... what do they know about technical stuff... :) We would have got our buts kicked if we had referred to Pitch Dampers, or Shimmy Dampers as dampeners...

1 minute ago, xlr8or said:

Argh - crap. All you guys found the Bunnings door stops. I looked into these 2-3 years back for turntable feet. I went to drill one and it wasn't solid all the way through inside - it was layered. Also, there are variations from one to the other so no 4 measure or look the same. You guys need to be careful as creep from the deadweight will cause your top covers to permanently bend over time. Heat induces creep behaviour more. A constant load and coupled with heat causes permanent strain in metals over time. If your really wanting the best then this Bunnings item would be even be better: It even has vent holes to radiate the heat upwards. 😁

https://www.bunnings.com.au/brighton-masonry-390-x-190-x-190mm-full-besser-block_p3451359

Damn, there is always a catch, isn’t there. We should send one of those door stops to iFixit, for a proper tear-down. Unless somebody here has a bandsaw and can cut one in half?

The besser blocks are going to be better, after all, “besser” is German for better :D 

1 minute ago, bob_m_54 said:

Dictionary smictionary... what do they know about technical stuff... :) We would have got our buts kicked if we had referred to Pitch Dampers, or Shimmy Dampers as dampeners...

Indeed. On that note, I wonder whether applying DampRid would introduce unwanted resonant vibrations?

DampRid 300g Refillable Moisture Absorber

• Like 1

Just now, Steffen said:

Indeed. On that note, I wonder whether applying DampRid would introduce unwanted resonant vibrations?

DampRid 300g Refillable Moisture Absorber

Probably just as effectively... 😉

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

We will all light a candle for you guys :)

• Haha 1

Just now, muon* said:

We will all light a candle for you guys :)

Even better idea than those door stops.. place the candle on top of the piece of gear you want to "dampen" :)

I reckon if you were to cut one in half the microstructure would reveal the following components:

1) 250 g self-raising flour

2) 1/2 tsp salt

3) 25g Lurpak* Butter, chilled and cubed

4) 175 ml milk

🤭

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, xlr8or said:

I reckon if you were to cut one in half the microstructure would reveal the following components:

1) 250 g self-raising flour

2) 1/2 tsp salt

3) 25g Lurpak* Butter, chilled and cubed

4) 175 ml milk

🤭

What? no Chili, I'm disappointed!

As the vibration issues were already addressed with my player mine are doing what they were made for now. Funny enough one of these ones is dented on top, so solid steel I agree they are not.

20210516_003716.jpg.13f922e3f357aa02c4980ce9bbf1c26f.jpg

Can't see the dent in the pic there, but it is there, and It's the type with a slight crease so...