I had been weighing up between buying a new or vintage turntable for some time. Recently, I took the plunge and chose the latter, a Yamaha Yp-d10.

Fundamentally the Yamaha is in excellent condition and I'm looking forward to the challenge of getting it to sound its best. But ... it's missing the tonearm subweight / collar. I can balance the tonearm without this subweight but can only just get the recommended cartridge tracking force.

I've located a reproduction 50g subweight on eBay (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/YAMAHA-YP-D7-YP-D9-YP-D10-Subweight-50g-Record-Disc-Stabilizer-from-japan-/402806564835) but it comes to over $200 which seems a bit rich! 

Does anyone have an alternative suggestion on where I could get a second hand one, a reproduction elsewhere, or get one machined? 

IMG_20210508_230808.jpg

Posted (edited)

@Tone Malone nice pick up! :thumb:

I had a similar deck, (YPD-71) for 30 years and stupidly sold it cheaply,  looking at the ridiculous price(s) it's being sold for nowadays! 

Very good arm with these decks, shouldn't be hard to find out the weight, dimensions and diameter of the counterweight. 

Maybe find out on Vinyl Engine or other forums, possibly from an owner on the specs.

Edit: arm looks like the same as on the GT750, GT1000, and 2000 series - few owners of these on SNA so they should be able to advise specs.

Might be difficult to obtain as a spare part, so suspect best to have one machined - or look at a similar model deck going cheaply with arm but very hard with people cashing in much more!

Good luck with solving! 😉

Edited by evil c
  • Like 1

@evil c thanks for the advice and supportive words!

I know the tonearm is the same as found on the more widely available D8 and the D7 (this has been a godsend already, as there is a set of downloadable instructions for the D8 in English rather than just in Japanese!) The Vintage knob suggests the GT series had a slightly revised tonearm - but I'm not sure if they are referring to the tonearm itself or the broader assembly.

From what information I've received so far, the original  weight supplied was either 50g (as per eBay ad) or *maybe* 25g. This weight also goes around a smaller collar on the tonearm. On another forum site someone quoted the inner diameter of this weight at 5/8" but I think that's incorrect - I've just measured the smaller tonearm collar and it would need to be 3/4" to fit around it.

Unless someone can point me in the direction of a second hand one I think I'm off to get one machined 😆

If someone has a YP-D10, D8 or D7 and is able to verify weight and dimensions that would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

The manuals for this can be downloaded from vinyl engine.  I didn't notice anything in my skim of the service manual about the counterweight.  The owner's manual is in Japanese, and has some diagrams.  In the past I've been able to use an online translate from image to get a reasonable idea of what the text says.  Vinyl engine may have English manuals for the other Yamaha turntables that use the same/similar arm. 

If you are getting a counterweight made, don't get too concerned about replicating what came with the turntable.  The weight will be better closer to the arm's pivot, so design it to be on the larger collar.  Experiment with a makeshift weight on this position with Blutak and nuts and bolts to determine the weight that works best for your headshell/cart, with some adjustment leeway to cater for changes to headshell/cart that may occur in the future. 

• Like 1