Inside Bill's Boutique Speaker cables

Hi all,

I have some of Bill's Boutique speaker cables, one of which got a connector damaged during speaker movement, so I thought i'd share some photo's of what's inside whilst I was repairing it for anyone interested. There are a lot more cores than I thought, not sure which ones are silver or copper, but it certainly is an interesting process Bill must have had to come up with this design.

Regards,

Blonk

IMG_3220.JPG

IMG_3219.JPG

IMG_3218.JPG

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, blonk said:

I have some of Bill's Boutique speaker cables,

Hi Blonk, are you sure they are the 'Boutique' silver and copper range of cables? As an observation, the wiring is definitely copper-only and looks to be the internals from Canare 4S8 or 4S11 wire which has been removed from the outer jacket:

CA-4S8-BK100.jpg.12db7b5d13bb7a8c44faca6cd29ec86f.jpg

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

Hi Blonk, are you sure they are the 'Boutique' silver and copper range of cables? As an observation, the wiring is definitely copper-only and looks to be the internals from Canare 4S8 or 4S11 wire which has been removed from the outer jacket:

CA-4S8-BK100.jpg.12db7b5d13bb7a8c44faca6cd29ec86f.jpg

I hope so, it’s what I paid for. Bill told me there was a sliver braid twisted around the outside. I assumed it was the 1 of the 2 smaller conductors.

Blonk

Bill has spent a long time stripping the outer insulation from those cables. I'd appreciate the hours put into that.

• Like 1

I can’t see any silver in the cables you’ve photographed. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, niss_man said:

Bill has spent a long time stripping the outer insulation from those cables. I'd appreciate the hours put into that.

I'm not knocking anyone. But to be fair, it isn't super time consuming on the Canare 4S range. Especially when stripping the entirety.

Posted (edited)

The boutique speaker cable when initially released had a single strand of 0.4mm silver wire    The Boutique  cable was deleted over 6 months ago.  This cable went through a metamorphosis over its life from 4 copper cables and a silver strand to the later cables of 6 differing gauges of cooper cable. 

This cable was bought second hand off the classified’s and was shipped to me to change a couple banana plugs which I did for free.  Then another cable was bought as a centre cable.   When I took off the older banana plug to change it, I realised it was one of the later 6 strand cables and made the centre cable to match.  

The added copper cables are actually more expensive than the silver strand, and the 6 strand copper sounds better 

I don’t strip anything.   But I’m certainly not saying where or what the cable is, as I’ve had a few cable maker that are not commercial members ask those sorts of question, and I suppose I was too honest, then they copied them and sell through here and other markets 

Edited by Bill125812
  • Like 5

OooOo, not even bought direct. The plot thickens.

Speakers cables are a whole kettle of fish I have zero interest in making for people. Hats off to you Bill, try not to die of stress mate.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Bill125812 said:

The boutique speaker cable when initially released had a single strand of 0.4mm silver wire    The Boutique  cable was deleted over 6 months ago.  This cable went through a metamorphosis over its life from 4 copper cables and a silver strand to the later cables of 6 differing gauges of cooper cable. 

This cable was bought second hand off the classified’s and was shipped to me to change a couple banana plugs which I did for free.  Then another cable was bought as a centre cable.   When I took off the older banana plug to change it, I realised it was one of the later 6 strand cables and made the centre cable to match.  

The added copper cables are actually more expensive than the silver strand, and the 6 strand copper sounds better 

I don’t strip anything.   But I’m certainly not saying where or what the cable is, as I’ve had a few cable maker that are not commercial members ask those sorts of question, and I suppose I was too honest, then they copied them and sell through here and other markets 

Thanks for the clarification Bill. I never questioned if silver should be there or not, I just thought you mentioned I shouldn’t shorten it due the way you ran the silver through it.

blonk

Just now, blonk said:

Thanks for the clarification Bill. I never questioned if silver should be there or not, I just thought you mentioned I shouldn’t shorten it due the way you ran the silver through it.

blonk

👍👍👍

2 hours ago, Bengineer said:

OooOo, not even bought direct. The plot thickens.

Speakers cables are a whole kettle of fish I have zero interest in making for people. Hats off to you Bill, try not to die of stress mate.

They were brought from me and I got them from Bill, as Bill will testify as I’ve have been a return customer too many times to count. And I have zero DIY skills lol, I can’t even put a shelf up 

Sean

• Like 3

On 07/05/2021 at 7:12 PM, Bill125812 said:

But I’m certainly not saying where or what the cable is, as I’ve had a few cable maker that are not commercial members ask those sorts of question, and I suppose I was too honest, then they copied them and sell through here and other markets 

I think that may have happened to Aurealis audio at some stage. Unfortunately it is to be expected. Unless there are patents in place then there may not be an easy way to stop this.

• Like 1

I can understand where people try to reason the cost of difference between different cables and other hifi gear; but the defining conclusion for me was "does it sound good?"

I don't have the finances to allow me to buy "top shelf" gear and my age and declining hearing make me question if I'd notice a quantifiable difference between $1,000 and $100,000 systems.

What I can say is that I'm a happy customer of Bill's Cables and would be happy to purchase from him in the future. 

It's up to you to decide how, where and how much to spend on your hifi etc.

• Like 6