FLAC network streaming help please

Hi,

I recently acquired a WD network hard drive with the intention of having music and movies stored on it for network based playback. So far I have only managed to copy my music files into the drive, and that was fluke! rather than drive myself mad by trying to get movie files onto it, i thought I'd settle with music for now. So my problem is, how do I get to play these files through my system?

I have a Chromecast Audio connected and running

I have tried Plex, and JRiver. The Plex app was useless and I'm trying to figure out whether JRiver will work. Ive used JR in the past with some Kaiser Bass media streamers but I had to have my computer running to access the music, hence the network drive. I'd just like to use my phone or iPad to navigate and manage playback through the Chrome Audio. 

Any tips in respect to the above would be very much appreciated  

Cheers

M

Which WD product is it? you might need to run separate sw which tells other devices in the network that there’s media content stored on that drive to be recognizable 

1 hour ago, kukynas said:

Which WD product is it? you might need to run separate sw which tells other devices in the network that there’s media content stored on that drive to be recognizable 

It’s a WD MY Cloud. By sw do you mean software? This digital stuff does my head in. 😂. Cheers mate. M

yep, you should be able to download my cloud app on your phone/tablet which should open up the network media recognition but I have no experience with WD products so can't help with that, check the manual if necessary.

if this won't help you might need to install third party software (media server) on pc or other device which would do the trick 

• Like 1

WD Mycloud has Twonky Server installed, or it was when I bought mine. If it isn't already installed, you can go to the Apps button at the top of the Mycloud interface, and install it from there. You can also install ITunes server if you are that way inclined.

Your music would normally go in the Public/Shared Music folder, and Twonky Server will scan the folder for content.

I haven't used a Chromecast, but you should be able to find a setting to point to your Mycloud server IP address, and the port will be 9000 ie 192.168.2.4:9000 in my case.

Edited by bob_m_54
  • Like 1