Bluos Node 2i. Dreadful

On 18/06/2021 at 11:09 AM, Marc said:

As for the issues, I am quite surprised to hear you've had such an experience. I am the most critical person I know when it comes to clunky interfaces and bugs. I just don't stand for it. Gen 1 of BluOS was buggy, no doubt. But the latest version is flawless, other than the constant firmware upgrades as @betty boop mentioned - usually right when you want to listen to something.

Hi Marc,

You may be mistaking me for the original OP.  I have never owned one and was just making a general observation from what I have seen in the Classifieds.  

• Administrator

Obviously only part of my post was directly in response to the question you posed. The rest (signified by new paragraphs) was on topic with the rest of the thread. It's just how the quoting system works.

It’s possible there’s a side to the BluOS software I don’t understand or haven’t seen, or don’t have a need for. But I truly don’t get why people rave on about it. Aside from using it to set up my Node 2i when I first got it, I don’t use it at all and don’t know why anyone would?

Phone > Spotify Connect > Node > rest of system. Works every time and the family loves it. 

• Like 1

On 06/05/2021 at 4:08 PM, PhilY said:

The Bluos software for the 2i is dreadful. It is totally unacceptable for an expensive piece of kit to have such rubbish as its interface.

And I say this as as an IT professional with years of experience........

Edited by Nada

As other people have suggested I suspect the problem is with the wifi. If your router is dual band try the other band. If band-steering is turned on in the router this can cause problems with some devices. If it's still problematic, maybe consider getting a better router.

• Like 2

• Administrator
11 hours ago, Chigurh said:

As other people have suggested I suspect the problem is with the wifi. If your router is dual band try the other band. If band-steering is turned on in the router this can cause problems with some devices. If it's still problematic, maybe consider getting a better router.

11 hours ago, Kaynin said:

Yes, the best solution for poor wifi right there, especially if it’s a crapola router provided by an ISP.

Definitely good advice, particularly the part about dual band. The best thing I did was create another dedicated 2G SSID just for these type of products.

• Like 2

On 06/05/2021 at 6:08 PM, PhilY said:

Dreadful, absolutely dreadful.

I owned a couple of these units  from new but on sold them after a month,  I thought overall the interface was pretty polished. That being said I was integrating it into a full ROON setup anyway and found better end points that integrated better or sounded better.

For its price point I thought it punched above its weight !!!!

Prior to using ROON my main streamers were the Logitech Squeezebox solution.

JDH

Edited by jdh500
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jdh500 said:

I owned a couple of these units  from new but on sold them after a month,  I thought overall the interface was pretty polished. That being said I was integrating it into a full ROON setup anyway and found better end points that integrated better or sounded better.

For its price point I thought it punched above its weight !!!!

Prior to using ROON my main streamers were the Logitech Squeezebox solution.

JDH

What combination did you upgrade to @jdh500? I don't mind my Node (gen 1) nor the interface, but I'm tempted to move to Room as:

- It seems easier to use still

- I'd like to use my digitised library over wifi streaming services by default

- I reckon I could get a better result with a NUC and dedicated DAC over a Node 2i/3 for a comparable price* 

(* Price is weighted for "Spouse Acceptance Factor", ie, 2 x $500 purchases + small ongoing subscription is easier to get through the Senate than a single $1000 purchase.) 

• Haha 1

Had mine for about 2yrs now. Have always thought it was a smooth running piece of kit. Initially I was a bit amiss with not being able to use the native streaming service app but BluOs have IMO improved their functionality substantially and of course there is now "connect" options too... Yes, it can always be better but at some point my being overly critical of everything learnt to stop.

I will say at the beginning I had it set up via wifi and did have some glitches but after getting it hardwired a month so later it's been flawless since and any subsequent issues I had were actually service based. (Insert tidal here)

As you can tell I'm in the camp where my experience has been positive and rewarding, I run it with a basic Lenovo Tablet.  I've got it hooked into x2 separate DACs and on occasions use its built in DAC too. 

For the buy in price, I can only praise and be thankful for it is usability, functionality and flexibility.  I respect as with anything some may have issues and their fit/expectation may not be for the product, I've had that with products too but this isn't one.

I'd love the Lumin but can't really justify it right now, if Bluesound released a node the size of their vault for example with a nice little screen showing artwork and some bitrate details I'd be all over it and I reckon finish any inkling I might have for anything more.

Shame the op experience was so dissatisfying. Using the node 2i with my own cd collection via a local share network and along side my turntable there isn't much I cant choose to listen too!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 07/05/2021 at 5:36 PM, Guest dr_carl said:

I had some initial issues with wi fi. I was running an NBN router with a good strong signal but not optimised for traffic such as streaming. Bought a mesh system, and zero node issues ever since.

Bluesound should probably have made that issue more public than they have, as their product is fine in some implementations and obviously fairly poor in others. 

The mesh was purchased to solve a different problem,  but l'm certain it solved all my node  problems too.

I also accept that anything involving any kind of IT has a minimum unavoidable quantum of pain that must be endured, but that in the long run its always worth it. 

I’m having the same problem. When I do a wifi speed test next to the Node, I’m getting 52 mbps. When I diagnose signal strength on the node I always get weak, poor or fare. Do you think my issue would be fixed with Mesh?

57 minutes ago, Lockhart said:

I’m having the same problem. When I do a wifi speed test next to the Node, I’m getting 52 mbps. When I diagnose signal strength on the node I always get weak, poor or fare. Do you think my issue would be fixed with Mesh?

I was struggling with wifi, my Node 2i's were buffering and stalling quite often, after analysis was way too many devices for the exiting system, its amazing with 4 heavy users in the house on how many devices we have.  I had put a number of wifi extenders in but eventually that didn't help as the overall bandwidth was regularly saturated, especially uploads which is quite restricted.  I suggest install a wifi analysis app for your phone and test around the house, see how many devices are competing and what each device is using.  I was quite surprised to see what cloud based security cameras use, as well as cloud based application platforms such as for my sons mortgage business and lets not mention gaming platforms !!!  i am lagging !!!!!  I am lagging !!!   😆

I  researched and put in a Mesh system, Netgear Orbi AX6000 and have a unit at each end of the house, there are plenty of effective lower cost options now.  I have high coverage across the house, huge difference.  I also pay a little extra with Aussie Broadband for higher NBN uploading, I am currently getting 99 Mbps down and 36 Mbps up.

As you would expect my 2x Node 2i's just purr along and no more complaints from the household.

So I fully recommend installing a Mesh Wifi.

• Like 1

Yep, people who complain about poor wi-fi then put in extenders are only applying a band aid to the problem.  Newer modems/routers apply better technology and faster CPU's.  ISP's give away modems/routers, and they're crap.  Go to a computer store and see what they have to offer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lockhart said:

Possibly.  First things first, make sure your modem/router is in  the optimal location within your home.  If it's on the floor in the corner of a room, move it to a more central, higher, location.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lockhart said:

Use a phone app to see what channels on what frequencies are being used in your neighbourhood.  Switch to one that is not being used.  Increasing bandwidth can also help.