Jump to content

Should I change from being a religious Panasonic television owner and buy the Samsung QLED?


Recommended Posts

After three models of Panasonic product, I'm satisfied. The latest television is over 36 months old, so about to leap into OLED/QLED technology.

Should I stay loyal or is the Samsung as good as or, better? 

Appreciate the input

 

Note: price is not a major factor. I liked the look of the Viera frame in Silver but know that is no longer relative a key feature. It's the integration with my BluRay and Soundbar/Woofer that is a benefit here. 

I am sure the Samsung will mate well it is just 'should I go away from a branded-system?'

Link to post
Share on other sites

Found this to be helpful:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/tvs-on-the-market

 

OLED has a religious fervour in the forum and you will get many suggestions to go there, especially when budget is not a major factor. 

 

I went Samsung QLED after 2 Panasonic Plasma TVs because I was not willing to pay twice as much for an OLED.  No regrets, no envy...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you'll find the forum rules stipulate no religious (or political) discussions. Religion (or absence thereof) is a personal matter for each person. Sooo pleeeease.......

 

Naaaaaaahhhh...sorry just being silly.....    :lol:

 

 

Anyhoo - although I do own an OLED fully agree with @Snoopy8. I've seen plenty of QLEDs that are really really good - in fact the differences that are there in either when done well is just splitting hairs these days. And even the run of the mill UHD are probably nothing to frown on these days. There may have been a time when OLED was streets ahead or whatever but it was early days and OLED had issues of its own that have been ironed out since about 3 or so years ago.

 

Just my 2¢ worth.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out the different operating systems for the TV's you narrow your selections to.

I opted in favor for a system that uses the magic remote design - the mouse like pointer style is far easier to select text etc.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Didnt Panasonic stop selling TVs in Australia in Feb.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, craka said:

Didnt Panasonic stop selling TVs in Australia in Feb.

Being located in New Zealand @Sounds13 has the privilege of looking at( some would say )the best OLED tv to hit the market. This was from Panasonic who still deals with people who live across the ditch.

Us Aussie plebs miss out...

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have the Samsung QLED (75 inch) that I updated this year (2020 model) from the Samsung 3DHD (65 inch) that was nearly 9 years old.

I really like the interface on Samsung - has all the apps I am used too (google chromecast, Netflix, Prime, Apple TV, Spotify etc built in with plenty more you can add) and it is easy to navigate and switch apps etc.

I also have a bright room so OLED not really an option for me  and screen burn in was something I worried about with OLED too 😏

My only regret is I wish I waited for the 2021 model as the Samsung QLED looks great.

 

 

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, STROP said:

Being located in New Zealand @Sounds13 has the privilege of looking at( some would say )the best OLED tv to hit the market. This was from Panasonic who still deals with people who live across the ditch.

Us Aussie plebs miss out...

Thanks for that info.I also have enjoyed Panasonic TV,s for many years hence my interest in this thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

12 hours ago, craka said:

Didnt Panasonic stop selling TVs in Australia in Feb.

 

Yes, but in February 2020.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We were lucky to snag an LG 55" Oled model in run-out. The previous buyer had winged about a tiny scratch (blemish really), on the underside of the mounting stand which would be impossible to see when the TV is set up on a cabinet or shelf.

 

The salesman couldn't believe anyone would be so pedantic but refunded him anyway. We wandered into the store the next day and the sales guy was prepared to knock a few billion pesos of the price so we snagged what I believe was the last unit available at a bargain price.

 

Awesome TV despite its size. David Attenborough types of docos look stunning.

Edited by progladyte
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, progladyte said:

We were lucky to snag an LG 55" Oled model in run-out. The previous buyer had winged about a tiny scratch (blemish really), on the underside of the mounting stand which would be impossible to see when the TV is set up on a cabinet or shelf.

 

The salesman couldn't believe anyone would be so pedantic but refunded him anyway. We wandered into the store the next day and the sales guy was prepared to knock a few billion pesos of the price so we snagged what I believe was the last unit available at a bargain price.

 

Awesome TV despite its size. David Attenborough types of docos look stunning.

Maybe they wanted to wall mount and it would be visible then? I wouldn't of kept it either it is was visible when wall mounted. Would bug me 😇

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can get the Pana OLED, then  do so. They are superb. Don't think much of the QLED stuff although the FALD versions are very good. For a non OLED, my pick would be the Sony X9500. The best non OLED TV IMO.

 

Cheers

 

M

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, progladyte said:

We were lucky to snag an LG 55" Oled model in run-out. The previous buyer had winged about a tiny scratch (blemish really), on the underside of the mounting stand which would be impossible to see when the TV is set up on a cabinet or shelf.

 

The salesman couldn't believe anyone would be so pedantic but refunded him anyway. We wandered into the store the next day and the sales guy was prepared to knock a few billion pesos of the price so we snagged what I believe was the last unit available at a bargain price.

 

Awesome TV despite its size. David Attenborough types of docos look stunning.

Best way to buy a TV.   
 

10 hours ago, April Snow said:

I have the Samsung QLED (75 inch) that I updated this year (2020 model) from the Samsung 3DHD (65 inch) that was nearly 9 years old.

I really like the interface on Samsung - has all the apps I am used too (google chromecast, Netflix, Prime, Apple TV, Spotify etc built in with plenty more you can add) and it is easy to navigate and switch apps etc.

I also have a bright room so OLED not really an option for me  and screen burn in was something I worried about with OLED too 😏

My only regret is I wish I waited for the 2021 model as the Samsung QLED looks great.

 

 

 

some of those QLEDs are to die for,  however I will never be able to afford high end models,   Besides, I’m still waiting for my 52” 2007 Samsung Series 6 and my Samsung 55” LED to die!   Then there’s a temptation to fix it like I did to my mothers Sony.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Best way to buy a TV.   
 

 

some of those QLEDs are to die for,  however I will never be able to afford high end models,   Besides, I’m still waiting for my 52” 2007 Samsung Series 6 and my Samsung 55” LED to die!   Then there’s a temptation to fix it like I did to my mothers Sony.

Totally understand, I loved my Samsung 65 inch that was pushing 9 years old, but it was starting to show some screen deterioration so that was the only reason I upgraded. 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Sony A9G 77 inch owner.

 

Go OLED. The colours and contrast in the top end Sony TV's are phenomenal. Easy to use and snappy user interface. Disney, Amazon Prime, Foxtel Go, STAN, TVB and even a downloadable AppleTV app.

 

I tossed up QLED Samsung and OLED Sony and a viewing test -> Sony. It's a matter of personal opinion. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Samsung QLED has a terrible amount of jitter on Optical out - it will not work with most ESS Sabre Dac chips. There will be a lost packet of sound every 10-30 seconds :(

This is a known issue. Some DACs like Audiolab MDAC have a setting to change to accept high jitter, some amps have produced a firmware fix (eg. Quad Vena), and Wolfson dacs work fine.

A massive pain when you plug it in to your ESS Dac/Amp 🤬 I had to buy a Cambridge Audio (Wolfson chip) and works perfectly thru that ...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure why anybody would replace a perfectly good 36 month old TV. My first Fujitsu 42" standard def plasma is still going strong at my sisters house some 18 years after purchase. It was replaced by a freebie HD LCD 55" Samsung in a work package deal 9 years ago and that's still going fine. OLED or QLED isn't a big enough leap in technology to necessitate an upgrade. Neither is 4k for a sub 80" screen unless you sit stupid close to it. Simply marketing hyperbole to bolster sales figures through FOMO.

 

We've also only had 2 projectors in 16 years.

 

If it ain't broke don't replace it. There's enough crap in landfill as it is.

Edited by blybo
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, blybo said:

I'm not sure why anybody would replace a perfectly good 36 month old TV. My first Fujitsu 42" standard def plasma is still going strong at my sisters house some 18 years after purchase. It was replaced by a freebie HD LCD 55" Samsung in a work package deal 9 years ago and that's still going fine. OLED or QLED isn't a big enough leap in technology to necessitate an upgrade. Neither is 4k for a sub 80" screen unless you sit stupid close to it. Simply marketing hyperbole to bolster sales figures through FOMO.

 

We've also only had 2 projectors in 16 years.

 

If it ain't broke don't replace it. There's enough crap in landfill as it is.

I sympathise with this (and run 2nd hand gear for display as well) but perhaps the lure of 4K and HDR will get the better of me one day.

 

That is if somebody can tell me that the streaming services have stopped crushing the blacks and compressing the colors of their offerings.  It's almost like the bad old days of the first five years of HDTV where the cries of "LOOK AT THE PIXELS" all meant nothing because everybody broadcast garbage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/05/2021 at 6:53 AM, Sounds13 said:

After three models of Panasonic product, I'm satisfied. The latest television is over 36 months old, so about to leap into OLED/QLED technology.

Should I stay loyal or is the Samsung as good as or, better? 

Appreciate the input

 

Note: price is not a major factor. I liked the look of the Viera frame in Silver but know that is no longer relative a key feature. It's the integration with my BluRay and Soundbar/Woofer that is a benefit here. 

I am sure the Samsung will mate well it is just 'should I go away from a branded-system?'

 

Echoing blybo, why replace a perfectly good screen that's only three years old?  I ran a Kuro (Pioneer) plasma (the only one better than the Panasonic) for 12 years before recently replacing it with a 65" Sony K9500 series LED.  Do I miss the Kuro?  No.  Did I have a good look at the Samsung QLEDs and the various makes of OLED - including Sony's?  Yes.  To my ageing eyes, the OLEDs are not superior enough to come close to justifying the price difference.  And Samsungs have always been too "garish" for me.

 

I wouldn't replace a three year old screen.  But if you've just gotta 🤑, check out the Sonys - both LED and OLED - before deciding.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/05/2021 at 6:53 AM, Sounds13 said:

After three models of Panasonic product, I'm satisfied. The latest television is over 36 months old, so about to leap into OLED/QLED technology.

Should I stay loyal or is the Samsung as good as or, better? 

Appreciate the input

Theres QLED and then theres dual cell . It depends on what your viewing enviro is . OLED is the best for a bat cave but if you want an allrounder with say better higher nits for HDR10/ DV than an OLED and also watch during the day the new dual cells have the best of both worlds - infinitesimally small zones for contrast compared to a normal led :)

 

If you have any concerns about burn in or organic reproduction ; new led tech ..

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...