Peerless 832873 - 5” Nomex Midwoofer tips? please

Ok so I ordered a couple of the above midwoofers as they seem to be held in pretty high regard, particularly at their price point.

Just wondering if anyone who has spent some time with these might be able to shed a little light on their experiences, and what they have found that worked?

I’m ok with spending some time building a decent enclosure, but would really appreciate any experience others could share, such as enclosure size, tuning frequencies, crossover frequencies, slopes, diffraction treatments etc. Also, any tweeter suggestions and starting crossover details would be appreciated - I will have to fine tune for my room anyway...

I gather Mike Lenehan uses these in the ML1, so any shortcomings will be mine, not the driver’s.

Thanks,

SS

Sounds like a kit may be more suitable. You can try a google search and you may be lucky. or you may be able to find some useful info on troelsgravesson website. or if you really want to learn the maximum in the least amount of time I would receommend this speaker design course on Udemy.

https://www.udemy.com/course/acoustics-101-speaker-design-basics-and-enclosure-design/

There are a few modules from that person from beginner to more advanced. (I recommend all)

Regards

Simon

• Like 1

Not really sure what to say.... there's no tricks.

It's a very forgiving woofer, in so far as other woofers might not "play nicely" above certain frequencies due to bad behaviour.   OTOH, this woofer will basically go as high as you need it to.

So how high you want to take it, goes back to the polar response you are looking for.   A 5" piston narrows its coverage as frequency increases, and you want to blend this with your tweeter.

Assuming a typical choice of a ~1" tweeter, then this is happening around 2-3khz.

How you exactly implement the crossover though, depends on the cabinet.... as this has a significant role in the driver responses through those octaves.

I've used this woofer where it's making a contribution to the output up to 10khz.... with a very shallow crossover slope between 1 and 10Khz....  one speaker you can look at for this approach (a well documented build) is the Joe Ras "Elsinore" speaker at custom analogue ..... but I've also used it in designs where a tweeter (+waveguide) is used right down to a much sharper transition at around 1.5khz

At the low end.... again, it's about as forgiving as you'll find.   It's xmax is not huge.... but is quite well behaved.    You could port it somewhere around 12L and 50hz .... or quite a bit lower, if you are going to get the room gain right....   but IMVHO this is "expert mode" as far as a vented system goes (and none of them are easy).

Much simpler would be to accept that a "subwoofer" is needed, and cut it out at about 80Hz or so.... with this the box volume becomes much less important (just something like qtc, 0.7. +/- 20%)

Whether or not you have another woofer.... and what SPL you are targeting is going to, "force the issue" here.... so if you can say what you require.... then we can lay it out a plan (or tell you you're dreaming).

Again... I don't think there's much magic formula about which tweeter to use..... I've used both the XT25 and D2608/HDS.... and as I've mentioned to Mike, I didn't "copy" him I promise (although seeing him and Joe using these tweeters did give me some "confidence").   SB acoustics tweeters are also excellent (even the not $$$ ones).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, niss_man said:

Sounds like a kit may be more suitable.

This is regularly my goto response, but I wasn't sure in this instance.

Its often interpreted harshly .... but if you don't know how to figure out the answers to these questions (as there are no "short" or "concise" answers to them) .... then you won't end up with a great speaker, and the choice of driver is almost irrelevant to the result.

• Like 2

I would like to do a vented enclosure for this one, but am flexible to volume and tuning frequency, SQ being more important than depth of bass. I have run the sims for the driver, but if anyone has a proven cabinet/tuning recipe, I’d be interested in any details - I’ll look at the 12l/50Hz, thanks @davewantsmoore.

I do have measuring gear, and am capable of ending up with something listenable, but again, am keen on any tips people might have.

I am thinking about a passive xo to a Seas Excel 25CF001 tweeter, but also have the option of active xo. Oh BTW I have spare diaphragms for the tweeter so am not afraid of shallow slopes, low XO points if that works.

As far as the baffle goes, I am considering a large chamfer on the baffle edges, with a felt insert around the tweeter. Another option would be to cover the entire front baffle with foam - happy to take out-of-the-box suggestions for this one 🙂

Cheers,

SS

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sub Sonic said:

@davewantsmoore, the 12l/50Hz alignment, is that EBS?

A little bit....  it's slightly lower than what would give 2pi flat response ... but I'm going from memory....  you'd need to simulate it and figure out what sort of room gain you were going to fit in with.

.... or, you could optmiise the port to get maximum "linearity" ... and then if you wanted more bass.... EQ it....  but I'd suggested a sealed box for that approach.   It all depends on "what you are trying to achieve".

1 hour ago, Sub Sonic said:

I would like to do a vented enclosure for this one, but am flexible to volume and tuning frequency, SQ being more important than depth of bass.

In that case, then why vented?

I have run the sims for the driver, but if anyone has a proven cabinet/tuning recipe

Proven with regards to what? ... There's an infinite number of "tunings".... what is best depends on what you require wrt SPL and bass extension.

If you don't care about bass extension .... then why?   If it's because "I have another woofer" .... then what's the crossover point (?!)

... or some other statement/question like this.   To figure out how to design it the best.

It's like asking what is the "best" recipie for cake ..... well, what does the case supposed to taste like?.... or is it not really supposed to be a "cake", but a bread, a scone, or a buiscuit.

I am thinking about a passive xo to a Seas Excel 25CF001 tweeter, but also have the option of active xo. Oh BTW I have spare diaphragms for the tweeter so am not afraid of shallow slopes, low XO points if that works.

If it's a shallow slope then it will need to be high.

As far as the baffle goes, I am considering a large chamfer on the baffle edges, with a felt insert around the tweeter. Another option would be to cover the entire front baffle with foam - happy to take out-of-the-box suggestions for this one 🙂

As long as you model/measure what you do, and incorporate it into the drive responses / EQ / XO ...... then you'll get a good result.

How it's incorporated is a lot more important than shape, roundover, absorbtion, etc...... although those things "look cool".

I’d be interested in any details - I’ll look at the 12l/50Hz, thanks .

I wouldn't.

Start by actually asking/answering the questions of how much bass extension do you want .....  what SPL .... and what EQ will you have available.

Each of these questions will push you towards a certain mechanical alignment.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It's a very easy to work with midwoofer. I use it in our second system in the living room, for more casual Netflix use. Just a pair of in walls with bass extension to 60 Hz with an 8L enclosure. Eventually I'll probably put an IB in there just for fun but they do enough to let you know there is "some bass."

10L tuned at 58 Hz extends down to 55 Hz.

12L tuned to 53 Hz extends to 50 Hz but reduces sensitivity by 1 dB and max SPL by about 3 dB.

SB Acoustics has a lot of nice tweeter options and the Peerless HDS/SS also works well.

• Like 3