Marantz SR7009 - USA Model (tripping)

Hi there fellow audio buffs. Well I recently acquired a (too good to be true) Marantz SR7009 deal via an online sale source. The AVR had only been powered once, batteries hadn't even been installed in the remote.

Long story short, I noticed that as soon as it arrived that whilst the AVR certainly appeared brand new, it was obviously a USA-Canada model; therefore requiring a 120VAC 60Hz supply. I did not power up the unit until I bought a transformer with 30% VA headroom to power same. Unfortunately when I powered the AVR (@120VAC 50Hz) it did initially appear to work however when I plugged in a HDMI from the blue-ray payer the AVR tripped & shutdown. Swapping same to the standard DVD input appeared to initially alleviate this issue; later this fault unfortunately again manifested itself on any port. Nevertheless the AVR then went through the full Audyssey setup & I trailed the setup afterwards & my old weary speakers sounded much better than they had in years. Problem was that this only lasted about 15minutes then the AVR started shutting down again. All IO was then removed & the fault remained.

So, my question is, has anyone suffered similar issues with USA-Canadian gear? A very (Navy electronic technician) learned friend advised me that the internal switchmode supply should allow for the 60-50Hz variation & I have investigated sourcing an aptly rated (>700W) frequency converter for approx $800. Nevertheless, I will now start the initiation of trying to contact the best Marantz repair business in Newcastle NSW (any suggestions?).

P.s. Before I get the very basic suggestions, I will state for the record that I'm a 56year old electrician with electronic training so I am not a novice to electronic faultfinding. I was concerned that that the original HDMI (possible) grounding issue was a sign that things weren't great. My fear is that the 1st owner may have powered up at 240VAC however after several attempts to gain this information he assured me he had not. Hmmm...

Many thanks for any guidance anyone can offer,

Alan...

I think you can be quite certain the previous owner plugged it in to the local power without a stepdown power transformer. With a bit of luck it will only be some power supply capacitors and a fuse, but there  could be more extensive damage.

• Like 1

Quark,

Thanks for the interest and also for taking your time to reply. I would say you're right but also thought it warranted an enquiry with the learned masses.

Many thanks,

Alan...

• Like 1

On 03/05/2021 at 3:08 PM, Playitloud said:

Quark,

Thanks for the interest and also for taking your time to reply. I would say you're right but also thought it warranted an enquiry with the learned masses.

Many thanks,

Alan...

Any update to this? Interested to hear how you got on. Traditionally it is difficult to get local support for Marantz gear that has been imported from overseas.

4 minutes ago, Joe Lighty said:

Any update to this? Interested to hear how you got on. Traditionally it is difficult to get local support for Marantz gear that has been imported from overseas.

I think you meant to ask the original poster, not me.

Sorry guys & thanks again for the interest. Haven't had a chance to get online lately.

I managed to get the avr to power up at my work last week multiple times whilst demonstrating it to my more learned electronics friend-workmate and you could bet your bottom dollar, it worked. Wouldn't trip. I didn't have any io connected but I've also had it unloaded at home & no good. But it failed when i got it back home; loaded and unloaded.

So I have 2 more tests to do before taking it to a shop. 1st is to check that the receiver isn't noticing a dip in the supply at my house,  my workshop supply may be better. 2nd is to try a large va (wattage) transformer, whilst the one I bought was 1kVa & the avr is rated at only 700W, the inrush current on the transformer may be causing a noticeable secondary brownout by the avr's smarts. To possibly make this worse,  the transformer is rated at 240-110V whereby the avr is rated at a nominal 120V. Anyways, I'll post how it goes over the next few days. So very nice of you guys to show your interest & concern!

Cheers Al...

• Like 1